Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Mead > Joe's Ancient Orange Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #1621
RhodySeth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx-brewer View Post
I would get out out of that water jug soon. I did one like that, one day opened the closet to find it had all leaked out through a tiny hole in the bottom of the jug.
I also had a plain jug of water sitting around for a few months that got a hole in the bottom, so I no longer trust them for too long
Yeah, I remember reading your tale of woe. We have lots of water jugs we keep in case of an emergency and have never had a leak issue but it's something I'll be aware of. I like using the water jugs because 1) we've got lots of 'em and 2) I don't have to worry about getting the fruit and stuff out afterwards - I can just cut 'em up and use another one. But in case of leaks I keep my jugs on a table I built that's got plastic sheeting which drains into a bucket.

I think on Friday I'll transfer my 6 week old JAOM to a 1 gallon glass jug for two weeks. Then bottle.

Fermenter: Saison (2.5 gal)
Secondary: Imperial Stout
Bottled: Deadringer IPA
Drinking: 15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale

My Blog: All about my trail running and brewing (but not at the same time!)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #1622
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodySeth
Yeah, I remember reading your tale of woe. We have lots of water jugs we keep in case of an emergency and have never had a leak issue but it's something I'll be aware of. I like using the water jugs because 1) we've got lots of 'em and 2) I don't have to worry about getting the fruit and stuff out afterwards - I can just cut 'em up and use another one. But in case of leaks I keep my jugs on a table I built that's got plastic sheeting which drains into a bucket. I think on Friday I'll transfer my 6 week old JAOM to a 1 gallon glass jug for two weeks. Then bottle.
I like that water bottle idea. Did you just modify the lid to fit a rubber grommet? Can't tell by the pic. But it looks custom

Dive Often! Play Hard and Have a homeBrew!

Old 11-20-2013, 04:54 PM   #1623
RhodySeth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by divrguy View Post
I like that water bottle idea. Did you just modify the lid to fit a rubber grommet? Can't tell by the pic. But it looks custom
Yup, I just drilled a hole in the cap and then squeezed a grommet on there (Before drilling I put the cap on another jug that wasn't being used for brewing since the drilling creates plastic specs.) The one on my left was my first attempt and I made the hole just a bit too big because the airlock never bubbled (you can see my half-arsed attempts to add duct tape around the grommet. Airlock still never bubbled so I've just let it be.) The one on the right worked as intended and the airlock is still a bubblin'.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:37 PM   #1624
ffd520
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

From start to finish.

image-3747552275.jpg   image-774739686.jpg   image-3591085489.jpg  
Old 11-22-2013, 05:04 PM   #1625
Quokimbo
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

So, I have encountered a little problem. I made a gallon of cherry JAOM variant and there was so much fruit and lees that after I finished racking off 2/3 of the gallon the last bit was really cloudy. I poured the rest out through paper towels because the siphon hole kept getting plugged by fruit. Now I have a 750 ml bottle that is settling and I tried to rack it off the other day but could not. I put a tube into and tried siphoning it out with my mouth. A little fell into the gallon carboy but it pulled the rest back down into the 750 ml bottle? Maybe I am missing something? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Scratch all of that, I just kind made a make shift seal with my mouth over a straw stuck down the side of the small grommet. hahaha
img_20131122_120322.jpg  

Old 11-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #1626
Cheesy_Goodness
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 454

How long was it in the primary? My batch of JAOM took about 5 months before it was clear and ready to rack/bottle.

"Wine is fine and brandy is dandy, but liquor is quicker"

Old 11-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #1627
Quokimbo
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesy_Goodness View Post
How long was it in the primary? My batch of JAOM took about 5 months before it was clear and ready to rack/bottle.
Mine?(Probably the post above mine haha) Like exactly 30 days. It was really clear(More clear than my last batch, which was also my first.) and most of the fruit had fallen. I just got the last of that 750 bottle into the gallon and plugged it back up. I plan on letting it sit for another handful of days and rack it again as I see a build up of lees settling in secondary.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #1628
Cheesy_Goodness
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 454

If it was only one month I would guess that it wasn't quite ready yet. Could you read text through it? Someone on here suggested that be the standard test and it seems to be a good standard to stick by.

"Wine is fine and brandy is dandy, but liquor is quicker"

Old 11-22-2013, 08:21 PM   #1629
Matteo57
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

I was thinking of adding a slight bit of oak cubes in this. Anyone done this yet? Any suggestions?

Old 11-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #1630
RhodySeth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I fell prey to that great rookie mistake of impatience. After six weeks, I thought my JAOM was clear enough. But since I fermented in a plastic water jug, it was hard to tell. I racked to a glass jug and it's definitely not as clear as I thought it would be. But I also added some water since it was so low after racking. Anywho, below you can see what it looks like now. I had originally planned to leave it in there for two weeks before bottling. Is there going to be any issue with the headspace if I want to leave it in longer?

Quick Reply