Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Mead > Joe's Ancient Orange Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2013, 01:40 PM   #1481
Lungus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Why didn't you go to the grocery store and get a packet of bread yeast like the recipe calls for? I mean how long would it take 15 min.? Now it will ferment to dry and with the whole peel of the orange in there it will be bitter as hell and it will take a long time if ever before it's drinkable or you will have to sorbate it and then back sweeten.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #1482
jstampler
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lungus View Post
Why didn't you go to the grocery store and get a packet of bread yeast like the recipe calls for? I mean how long would it take 15 min.? Now it will ferment to dry and with the whole peel of the orange in there it will be bitter as hell and it will take a long time if ever before it's drinkable or you will have to sorbate it and then back sweeten.
Because I decided I didn't want to use bread yeast. I've heard that the bread yeast contributes to it being bitter and that it's hard to bottle without it being cloudy from moving the jug. I'm only making a gallon so I didn't want 2 of the 4-5 bottles being cloudy.

If I have to back sweeten, I think I can deal with that. I'm just asking if anyone has any experience with this type of yeast and how dry it will turn out.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:24 PM   #1483
Goofynewfie
Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstampler View Post
I'm just asking if anyone has any experience with this type of yeast and how dry it will turn out.
Bitter rocket fuel caused by the orange pith. The bread yeast leaves behind sweetness that covers it and leaves it drinkable quicker. The ec-1118? 12-18 months would be my guess.

You cant always be young but you can always be immature

Old 09-12-2013, 07:48 PM   #1484
Kdog22
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 80

I used a premier cuvee yeast, a similar strong yeast to 1118. It's at about 4-5 months of age and i'm not going to open another bottle to try out until at least 6 maybe 8 months. First bottle tasted like it was getting better then when I tasted at bottling time. Little more smooth. Little more honey aftertaste. But still had a fairly strong orange peel/ pith flavor. Very drinkable but time will help this one out for me.

Next time I do this recipe, i'll use the bread yeast like I SHOULD have..... Maybe a Lalvin 1116..

Old 09-13-2013, 12:56 AM   #1485
Lungus
Recipes 

I just bottled my first JAOM. I waited until the fruit dropped and was very careful and didn't have a problem with the yeast. I used the inside of my auto siphon as a racking tube because the siphon was too wide to fit down the neck of the 1 gallon carboy. Anyway, I took a small piece of cardboard, 2"x2" cut a slot in it that the racking tube would fit in. I measured the depth that I wanted the end of the racking tube be and put a bread tie on the tube where it would be at the top of the neck. I lowered the racking tube into the carboy and when the bread tie was close to the top of the neck I slid the piece of cardboard in, lowered it right down until the bread tie was resting on the cardboard and it kept the racking tube stable and at the right level so there was no unnecessary movement and therefore no stirring up of the yeast.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:22 AM   #1486
allhailRITTER
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 2 Posts

Just bottled this tonight after about 5 months in the jug. Had a little left over to sip on. It is pretty delicious except I can taste a little bitterness that tastes like the pith. I think next time I may try and remove the pith on the orange. It's still really tasty though.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:31 AM   #1487
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1192

Quote:
Because I decided I didn't want to use bread yeast. I've heard that the bread yeast contributes to it being bitter and that it's hard to bottle without it being cloudy from moving the jug. I'm only making a gallon so I didn't want 2 of the 4-5 bottles being cloudy.

If I have to back sweeten, I think I can deal with that. I'm just asking if anyone has any experience with this type of yeast and how dry it will turn out.
Its probably really going to be bitter now that you didnt use the bread yeast,even it being a sweet mead yeast with enough pitched sweet mead yeast it still could ferment it out dryer than the bread yeast giving the perception of more unbalanced citrus bitterness ,hopefully it doesnt. Your kind of at your own risk without following the recipe. Shure some variations can work but thats probably due to with alot of expericence with yeasts and meadmaking and alot of times luck. Good luck though. I would try making the recipe and going with your opinon/experience other than what a few people think of it maybe before you try and alter it to perfection. Meads are meant to age in the bottle to your liking, like the guy above posting notice he said it tastes pithy/bitter @bottleing. @ bottleing,not bottle aged yet.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #1488
huesmann
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Because I decided I didn't want to use bread yeast. I've heard that the bread yeast contributes to it being bitter and that it's hard to bottle without it being cloudy from moving the jug.
No. Bread yeast contributes toward it being slightly "bready" in flavor, but it's not offensive. The pith in the orange peel is what contributes toward it being bitter.

You are right about the cloudiness. If you're worried about that, I'd ignore the instructions that say not to rack, and once the fruit has dropped, rack it as you like until you feel you can bottle without clouds.

If you use 1118 it will go dry, 100% chance of that.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:35 PM   #1489
jstampler
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I decided to give it another try and this time I followed the original recipe verbatim. I'm going to give the one with the dry yeast 6 months and then bottle it and let it bottle age another 6 months before I try it.

Here's my JAOM foaming away!

image-1361192696.jpg

Old 09-14-2013, 01:19 AM   #1490
Lungus
Recipes 

Mine is beautifully clear, it was bottled right off the yeast and I'm a bit of a klutz so it isn't that hard if you are a bit careful. Make sure to set up your carboy where you are going to bottle from for at least a week before you bottle, mine didn't move for more than a month and not moving for that long I think made the lees a bit more stable less prone to stir up with any movement of the mead. I kept the end of the racking tube about an inch above the lees and away from the dropped orange slices so I didn't suck any yeast off of those.

100_4004.jpg   100_4005.jpg  

Quick Reply