Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Mead > Joe's Ancient Orange Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2013, 02:19 AM   #1171
MidTNJasonF
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Just took another medal with JAOM in competition, a third this time. It was the very last of my last batch. really need to make some more of this.

Will ride for beer!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 08:06 PM   #1172
st1nky
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hello, im a little new to this, would like to make a 5 gal batch of JAOM but was wondering if i needed to use 5 packets of yeast as well or would just 2-3 do? i read somewhere that since the yeast would multiple that you didnt have to do a 1 to 1 modification of the recipe when it came to the yeast.
any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Old 02-24-2013, 08:08 PM   #1173
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1613 Times on 1137 Posts
Likes Given: 2703

believe it or not, stinky, you still only need 1 packet.

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 02-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #1174
st1nky
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thanks for the info, C.G. .. time to make some mead

Old 02-27-2013, 04:44 AM   #1175
Thomas007
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Okay, my question might have been covered before in this monster thread, but I don't know the right search terms. I started a batch of JAOM in November, everything went fine. A few weeks ago, the fruit even dropped. It was clear, so I was all ready to bottle it, but I didn't have an autosiphon so I waited.

Before I had a chance to get to the LHBS we had some warmer weather (not warm, but it had been below 20F). Now, the fruit is floating again (!).
What do I do? Is it still okay to bottle, or is the fruit going to drop again permanently (it's been over 4 months)?

Old 02-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #1176
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1613 Times on 1137 Posts
Likes Given: 2703

I'm sure its ok to bottle. I would give it the smell test. If it smells like oranges or has very little aroma, you are good. If it smells like rotten eggs, amonia, horrors... something went awry. My money is on it being a-ok.

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 02-27-2013, 10:36 PM   #1177
casesensative
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Well i tried this recipe today and everything went smoothly except for one stupid mistake when I wasn't paying attention.

I had re-hydrated the tsp. of bread yeast (despite the recipe, cause it couldn't hurt) and had it sitting there while my wort was cooling for a bit. The wort had gotten down to about 110F and I thought, what the hell I'll go ahead and get the wort all set up in the fermenter. Tossed it in with the fruit and cinnamon and everything and then without thinking went ahead and tossed in my yeast.

Stupid.

So I waited for about an hour to see if I'd killed it and nothing was happening. I looked at the bottom and it looked like all the yeast had settled at the bottom so I figured I had immediately killed it pretty much. I gave it another hour for kicks to see if anything was gonna happen and still nothing.

At that point I went ahead and just pitched a dry teaspoon of yeast figuring that it couldn't really hurt anyways and in under an hour I was getting bubbles off of it.

So here's my question. I know you aren't supposed to rack to a secondary with this recipe, but since I killed my initial yeast (or atleast most of it), after a week or so won't it begin to break down and start to affect the flavor a lot? (autolysis)

Should I rack to a secondary to avoid this or will it still probably be ok?

Also, this has really nothing to do with the question, but just thought I would add that I altered the recipe a touch and added 2.8 lbs clover honey and half a can of white grape concentrate. Could be interesting. Measured OG was 1.101

I'm a beer brewer, and this is a first mead attempt.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:15 PM   #1178
MidTNJasonF
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

First off why was the honey at 110 degrees to start with? You are supposed to dissolve the honey in some warm water not boil it. Then you are supposed to add cool top off water. That should have brought things down to barely above room temp.

I would not rack it or touch it until it is done as the instructions said. That small amount of yeast is not going to hurt a thing, autolysis is over hyped. It can sit on the lees and such for an extended period of time with no ill effects. I think mine sat untouched for about a year before I transferred it out of the original carboy.

Will ride for beer!

People Like This 
Old 02-27-2013, 11:37 PM   #1179
casesensative
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Well i had brought the water to a boil originally to drive off chlorine as our water around here is like a friggin swimming pool...then once the heat had gone down some and it was just 'warm' i added in the honey to help it dissolve a little better.

I will leave it be then, thanks for the input. Cheers.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #1180
sielm
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I don't really know anything about autolysis, but I also had several 5 liter mead batches going for more than 1 year (on primary) and then bottled them with great results. Maybe mead is more tolerant to these conditions than beer. I had no strange flavours and every batch became crystal clear.

casesensative: maybe the initial yeast was not completely dead, and if you waited without adding more yeast it might start bubbling. But anyway, I think that if the initial yeast really died then it will make great yeast nutrient for the living yeast. AFAIK the nutrient is largely composed of yeast hulls (or was it the energizer? I can't remember )

Best regards!

Quick Reply