Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Mead > Joe's Ancient Orange Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 09:36 PM   #1121
rideincircles
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Secondary is good with this due to the low flocculation/gets crap everywhere the moment you move it around bread yeast. Leaving it for months seems to pose no issues. Me and my friend had a few glasses of his around 5 months old and was great for drinking already. I think my batch had a little more bitterness to age out. This recipe is still around since it's near foolproof and the results are good. Just use good honey.

Started brewing February 2012:
All grain and partial mash brewer depending on time. Meads and apfelwein also.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 01:19 AM   #1122
sillbeer
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I went to my LHB store before I started this to pick up some stoppers for my growlers that I have. The guy suggested I use Lalvin K1-V1116 dry yeast so I picked that up. Since I was splitting up the recipe between two half gallon growlers I put one clove in each growler and broke a cinnamon stick in half. I put a pinch of nut meg and a pinch of all spice in each growler. I also mixed a small bowl of yeast up and went a little over 1 gram and split it between to the two bottles. The store I went to had a lot of different honey in a lot of sizes. I selected two larger bottles of regular clove honey that equaled 3 pounds and a smaller quarter pound bottle of orange blossom honey. I put 15 raisins in each bottle and cut up an orange and put half in each. I only topped off each bottle to the bottom of the necks for fear that they would blow up in the utility closet and piss the wife off.

Oh well. We'll see how it comes out and I'll keep an eye on em. Should be good for Thanksgiving.

- Destin

Old 01-30-2013, 02:53 AM   #1123
Jeepaholic
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillbeer View Post
I went to my LHB store before I started this to pick up some stoppers for my growlers that I have. The guy suggested I use Lalvin K1-V1116 dry yeast so I picked that up. Since I was splitting up the recipe between two half gallon growlers I put one clove in each growler and broke a cinnamon stick in half. I put a pinch of nut meg and a pinch of all spice in each growler. I also mixed a small bowl of yeast up and went a little over 1 gram and split it between to the two bottles. The store I went to had a lot of different honey in a lot of sizes. I selected two larger bottles of regular clove honey that equaled 3 pounds and a smaller quarter pound bottle of orange blossom honey. I put 15 raisins in each bottle and cut up an orange and put half in each. I only topped off each bottle to the bottom of the necks for fear that they would blow up in the utility closet and piss the wife off.

Oh well. We'll see how it comes out and I'll keep an eye on em. Should be good for Thanksgiving.

- Destin
That yeast is going to make a very dry mead I bet.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:22 PM   #1124
rideincircles
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

You deviated and the bitterness will probably show up with a strong spice profile. Clove may be overpowering. Warranty voided. This is based off of reading way too many pages of this thread.

All brewing is an experiment. Hopefully it turns out okay though. Results with bread yeast turn out great for this since it finishes sweet with 3.5 lbs of honey.

Most people who brew think a recipe with bread yeast is dumb, but this one is effective.

Started brewing February 2012:
All grain and partial mash brewer depending on time. Meads and apfelwein also.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:54 PM   #1125
sillbeer
Recipes 

I'm a newb and unsure. I went with my LHBS guys advice, he said it was a champagne yeast. Only time will tell and I'll learn either way. One bottle is bubbling ok and the other one is not bubbling at all but it's only been 24 hours.

- Destin

Old 02-01-2013, 02:10 PM   #1126
Blowntri5
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So I made this just before Christmas and it is clear and the fruit has dropped. Just when I should try this guy. Also the air lock has stopped bubbling.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:12 PM   #1127
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1667 Times on 1165 Posts
Likes Given: 2838

Try it now, if it is clear and the fruit is on the bottom. Then bottle what you havent drank and hide it from yourself for as long as is possible.

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 02-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #1128
sillbeer
Recipes 

After this has aged, how do you bottle it for storage?

- Destin

Old 02-02-2013, 03:23 AM   #1129
thombrew
Recipes 

Hey, I just started this recipe and I'm wondering if it'll screw up.

My dad has made lots of wine so he decided to give me a hand.

I got 16 pounds of honey from a beekeeper for a 5 gallon brew. 2 sticks of cinnamon, 2 pieces of clover and 2 whole oranges (except for the skin stuff). Reason I changed some of this was because of all the negative comments saying that the recipe is too sweet. The only yeast I recognized at the local wine place was the kv 1116 so I went for that.

While I was getting ready to pour in the water, my dad threw in the yeast. He said it doesn't matter, I thought it was a bad idea, since we had to shake the whole thing.

So anyways, it's been about 4 hours, and still no bubbling. Am i screwed?

Old 02-03-2013, 03:24 AM   #1130
AbuMaia
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Lemme try this one again...

I just started a new batch of JAOM. The instructions state to add more water after the foaming stops. How much? How far up the bottle do I fill it? Do I have to keep adding water as it evaporates and the level drops?

Quick Reply