Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Mead > Joe's Ancient Orange Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 12:40 AM   #1071
twalte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Two gallons whipped up and ready to age. I am terrible at following directions, so I had to tweak it.

One has the recipe to a tee...except that I used a dry Mead yeast. I can't stand sweet drinks, so I wanted a dry finish (I would prefer to backsweeten if needed)

The other one has some fresh blackberries added to it.

OG at 1.112, and that's not even counting the sugars from the fruit yet. Will be interesting, and I don't think I am in for a short process on this one.

Thanks for sharing Yooper!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 01:48 AM   #1072
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2672 Times on 2078 Posts
Likes Given: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by twalte
OG at 1.112, and that's not even counting the sugars from the fruit yet. Will be interesting, and I don't think I am in for a short process on this one.

Thanks for sharing Yooper!
The sugars from the fruit will contribute 0 to the alcohol because the specific gravity of the fruit is less than the specific gravity of the must. In fact the blackberries will actually lower the overall SG of the concoction but not that significantly.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:13 AM   #1073
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1667 Times on 1165 Posts
Likes Given: 2841

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
The sugars from the fruit will contribute 0 to the alcohol because the specific gravity of the fruit is less than the specific gravity of the must. In fact the blackberries will actually lower the overall SG of the concoction but not that significantly.
IE fruit is for flavor not booze in this particular application

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 12-29-2012, 03:58 AM   #1074
baseballstar4
Recipes 

I made a 1 gallon batch of this 7 weeks ago. I'm probably reacting to quickly as this is my first attempt, but it has not started to clear and all my fruits are still at the top. I did go out of town for a couple days and did the unthinkable and turned the thermostat to 56F. Could this be my problem that temps dropped and my yeast went dormant? Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks

Old 12-31-2012, 07:23 AM   #1075
twalte
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber
Wow...lesson learned. I wanted the fruit flavor, but learned a lot from this. Good point...that liquid is definitely dense with sugar, so I see your point. Excited to see how this tastes in a year. Never had a mead.

"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

Old 01-04-2013, 02:27 AM   #1076
AbuMaia
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Hi folks, new user here

I just started my JAOM on Jan 2 (wanted to start it on Jan 1, but didn't have the cinnamon stick or cloves yet). It is currently bubbling away nicely in my linen closet, the only place I had room enough for the jug.

I had a few questions I didn't see answered in all 108 pages (so I created an account just to ask them . When the rapid bubbling and foaming subside, and I go to add water to top up, how far up do I fill it?

When it comes time for bottling or racking, is it a giant no-no to pour it from the primary through a funnel with several coffee filters to catch the lees and fruit? It seems to me that would be a good way to get all the good stuff and avoid most of the unwanted stuff. I've not seen anyone mention doing this.

Attached are some pics of my first gallon attempt, and the home-made s-bend airlock I bodged together. The cup and bin lid were precautions against overeager fermentation, as I've seen several people mention, to try to keep any overflow contained and off the closet walls.

0103195647.jpg   0103195433.jpg  

Old 01-04-2013, 02:33 AM   #1077
twalte
Recipes 

I am no expert on Mead, but I would propose using a small autosiphon to transfer. You can sanitize a small bag (like a paint strainer bag from Lowes) and put it over the end of the autosiphon before you put it into your gallon. That will minimize aeration and allow you to filter the liquid before it enters your autosiphon.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/mini-auto-siphon.html

Not sure if oxidiation is an isssue with Mead yet, but this is how I am handling small batch beers.

FYI - I started my first Mead at the end of December and you are definitely getting more kreusen than I am.

"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

Old 01-04-2013, 02:41 AM   #1078
AbuMaia
Recipes 

Thanks for the advice. I'd like to try to keep purchases of specialized equipment to a minimum, at least until I find out if I like this hobby or not.

The yeast appear to be very happy. It's currently bubbling away, as if I had an aeration stone in there. I can hear the tiny bubbles popping on the surface, like with a Coke, and the airlock has a large bubble go through every 10 seconds or so.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #1079
Tnoodle
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbuMaia View Post
Thanks for the advice. I'd like to try to keep purchases of specialized equipment to a minimum, at least until I find out if I like this hobby or not.

The yeast appear to be very happy. It's currently bubbling away, as if I had an aeration stone in there. I can hear the tiny bubbles popping on the surface, like with a Coke, and the airlock has a large bubble go through every 10 seconds or so.
You can also just use some clear ice maker hose and the paint strainer bag. Both are available at Lowes.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #1080
AbuMaia
Recipes 

I've got a few more questions, now that my first question is mooted (topped up the water this morning).

I live about a football-field's distance from some train tracks. Whenever a train goes by, I can feel it shaking the house slightly. Might this disturb the lees enough that it doesn't really clear up properly?

I can see that the yeast is still bubbling pretty actively, though the foam isn't as thick as it once was. I can see the little bubbles, and hear them popping on the surface. However, all activity in the airlock seems to have stopped. I've seen no change in the water level in the airlock for the past few hours now. Does this mean that the CO2 is being absorbed into the mead? It doesn't seem to be leaving by the airlock, even though it's still being produced by the yeast. Do I have a leak somewhere else? Will that let in O2 and oxidise the batch? Or does it have something to do with the outside air pressure? It's been going up recently. Would that affect it?

Quick Reply