Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Mead > Joe's Ancient Orange Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2012, 02:56 AM   #1061
bsjracing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ15092 View Post
The original recipe states the mead should start to clear at two months. It also states if you wait long enough the oranges will sink. Before racking or bottling should I wait till the oranges sink and about how long does that take?
On my original batch, it's starting to clear at 3.5 weeks, but I used a little less honey hoping for a bit dryer finish.
Bottled
JAOM, Orange Melomel

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 02:01 PM   #1062
luke_d
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts

I've read over and over on here to NOT modify the recipe, especially in terms of yeast. What if I switched out the bread yeast for WLP720. It's supposed to ferment out pretty clean and sweet. Would this alter the final product too much?

Old 12-21-2012, 09:01 PM   #1063
baseness
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm a sucker for punishment and did a few modifications anyway. My mead will be two months old on the 24th.

This is after it's second racking. I was trying to be very cautious about leaving lees and and fruit pulp behind so i've lost more than I originally intended. I tested a sample of the stuff near the bottom which was separately racked into a 750 ml wine bottle. The sg was 1.03 and it's still pretty sweet.

img_0076.jpg   photo-2-.jpg  

Old 12-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #1064
BWN
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Will this benefit from aging? I followed the recipe just as it was written, today I bottled it. The last bit I put in a glass and it didn't taste great. I think I sucked up some of the junk on the bottom though. Would that give an off taste? If the rest of the bottles have that taste will aging help? It has been just over two months since I made it and the fruit had sunk to the bottom. Later on I think I will open a bottle and try it. I don't think I am ready to start drinking quite yet .

Old 12-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #1065
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1540 Times on 1094 Posts
Likes Given: 2406

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWN View Post
Will this benefit from aging? I followed the recipe just as it was written, today I bottled it. The last bit I put in a glass and it didn't taste great. I think I sucked up some of the junk on the bottom though. Would that give an off taste? If the rest of the bottles have that taste will aging help? It has been just over two months since I made it and the fruit had sunk to the bottom. Later on I think I will open a bottle and try it. I don't think I am ready to start drinking quite yet .
Definitely, it keeps getting better and better. Try to avoid the gunk at the bottom as best you can, and it can give a yucky yeasty taste. After a few glasses of JAOM however, you wont care too much .

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 12-26-2012, 06:41 PM   #1066
sweed
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Smelled mine this past weekend, and forgot to grab it and take it home with me. It's been in a bottle for 6 months. I have another one that still has the air lock on it, thats been in that primary for 5 months? I need to go back and get those and taste them. The first one has a strong winey small to it.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #1067
BWN
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It was just the one glass that had stuff from her bottom. All the bottles should be clear. I wouldn't say it is a yeasty taste but more of a hot alcohol mediciny taste.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:50 PM   #1068
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1540 Times on 1094 Posts
Likes Given: 2406

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWN View Post
It was just the one glass that had stuff from her bottom. All the bottles should be clear. I wouldn't say it is a yeasty taste but more of a hot alcohol mediciny taste.
Gotcha. My advice is to put it in a closet and forget about it. I have some from my wedding in June that I started making last November, and its amazing now at more than a year old. It was just ok when I bottled it in June.

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 12-26-2012, 10:15 PM   #1069
cheesecake
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have one bottle left that I made 3 years ago. ... I dont want it to go away

Old 12-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #1070
JohanMk1
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 517

I finally got to bottle and taste my first batch that i made at the beginning of September.

Surprisingly good, but a lot drier than I expected. I think the bread yeast that I used may attenuate a bit further than Fleishmann’s. I'm now on a mission to find Fleishmann’s here in South Africa.

I've also tracked down a better source for honey, so the next batch will be 5 or 6 gallons

Quick Reply