Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Mead > Joe's Ancient Orange Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2012, 12:33 AM   #1001
billslaw1024
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWN View Post
I just threw this together I used three pounds of honey though. How much difference will that make.
Seems like it will just be a little bit drier.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 03:15 PM   #1002
rideincircles
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Based on what I have read on gotmead.com in their JAOM thread, it is recommended that the 3.5 lbs be used. I was short when I made my first batch and just added extra honey later. I would add the extra half pound of honey based on what I was told to do. Adding it late won't hurt anything.

This is recommended info when making JAOM by chevette girl who has made lots of JAOM on gotmead.com.

Originally Posted by Chevette Girl View Post
Well, yeah, it does sort of break all the rules... don't check SG, don't aerate more than once, don't degas, don't stir, don't do staggered nutrient addition, don't remove the fruit or rack off the lees after the change in SG starts slowing down, don't stabilize... but so long as the recipe was followed precisely, we usually know exactly what to expect with it, so it's OK to break the rules because we get repeatable results. So yeah, it is pretty special

We know the mead will have a high enough sugar and alcohol content that "cleaned" equipment is fine, "sanitized" is not a necessity.

We know one good vigorous aeration at the beginning gets enough oxygen into the must that the yeast can get their expected 10-12% alcohol made.

We know the raisins provide enough nutrients that the yeast can get their expected 10-12%...

We know that the bitterness from the orange pith will be balanced by an approximately known amount of residual sweetness, and though it will mellow over time, is drinkable on a much shorter time scale because of the residual sweetness.

We know that the amount of acidity from the single orange isn't too much for the yeast to get to their 10-12% alcohol.

We know we can top up with water a few days after the initial violent fermentation dies down because fleishchmann's yeast when used in this manner doesn't tend to kick back up violently.

We know when the fermentation's stopped because the airlock is quiet and the bread yeast settles to the bottom. Other yeasts can fool you but bread yeast is usually pretty honest about when it's actually done (I've only had one or two of at least 40 JAO batches carbonate once bottled.

We know the must is mostly degassed when the fruit pieces sink.

These are all things we can use as general guidelines when applied to other recipes, but most of the time when using other recipes, there are enough variables we're not controlling (or that haven't been so extensively tested/observed) that we need other tools like hydrometer, pH meter, etc. to tell us exactly what's going on, instead of guessing by look, smell, taste, airlock activity and clarity.

Started brewing February 2012:
All grain and partial mash brewer depending on time. Meads and apfelwein also.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:01 PM   #1003
baseness
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just made put the airlock on a not-so-ancient variant of this recipe.

6 gallon batch. Did not take a gravity measurement, because the honey and water didn't mix completely.

20 lbs of clover honey
5 Large oranges, cut in eights
5 Small handfuls of raisins
5 Cinnamon sticks
2 Whole cloves
2 Vanilla beans
Two packets of D47 yeast, since I had some.

I wanted to avoid boiling such a huge amount of honey. I tried shaking it with every gallon of water I added, but the honey and water are still mostly separate. Obviously, some is dissolved in the top water layer, and I assume the yeast will eventually scrounge it all up. I hope, anyway. That carboy is heavy and I don't want to shake it anymore. I think I should get a dry product, and then i'll back sweeten it.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:22 PM   #1004
salli4102
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseness View Post

I wanted to avoid boiling such a huge amount of honey. I tried shaking it with every gallon of water I added, but the honey and water are still mostly separate. Obviously, some is dissolved in the top water layer, and I assume the yeast will eventually scrounge it all up. I hope, anyway. That carboy is heavy and I don't want to shake it anymore. I think I should get a dry product, and then i'll back sweeten it.
I don't think you have to boil the water and honey, I never do. But I do warm all the honey and a couple gallons of water to make it easier to handle once I get it in the carboy. Thinning the honey a bit makes it easier to incorperate all the ingredients evenly. Plus I buy my honey in half gallon jugs, so I use the water to get the last of the honey out of each one. There is about a pound of residual that clings to the sides. Incidentally, this is also true for extracts in beer brewing. Just a suggestion.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:50 PM   #1005
salli4102
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjay2000 View Post
How do I scale this recipe to 5 gallons?

I tried searching this thread and couldn't find a 5 gallon recipe. Forgive me if I missed it.

I bottled a gallon of this recently and it tasted great going into the bottle. I have an old 5 gallon carboy that is going unused right now that I would like to use for more of this.

Thanks in advance for help and suggestions!

Mpjay
I always make the JAOM in 5 gallon batches as 1 gallon just doesn't last. Yes, basically scale the recipie up.
Here's what I do:

5# honey= 6 cups, 3# is 4 cups and 16 cups is 128 oz/1 gallon
I use 15# honey or 144 oz plus 4 gallons of spring water.
I have found that zesting the oranges and juicing them tastes better than just cutting them up and putting them in, but I have done it both ways and it still tastes good. If you want it a little less sweet, scale down the honey about a pound.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:43 PM   #1006
nhush
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Just made a JOAM 10 liter batch 6 hours ago;

6.5 lbs honey
5 tangerines (peeled)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 clove
.5 tsp nutmeg.
big handful of raisins
1 tsp instant dry yeast

nothing is happening - no airlock activity.

My last batch was bubbling like crazy after 6 hours but I did not use any spices that batch.

What is wrong? Any ideas?

I did take out some tangerines thinking they were blocking the CO2 from escaping, but no improvement.

The only things I can think of are:

1. not enough shaking (oxygenation)

or

2. not enough rinsing (iodine solution still lingering on equipment.)

Could either of these be responsible or is there something else?

Should I wait, or throw in some more yeast, or give it another good shake?

Any advice?

Old 10-25-2012, 03:52 PM   #1007
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1586 Times on 1118 Posts
Likes Given: 2552

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhush View Post
Just made a JOAM 10 liter batch 6 hours ago;

6.5 lbs honey
5 tangerines (peeled)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 clove
.5 tsp nutmeg.
big handful of raisins
1 tsp instant dry yeast

nothing is happening - no airlock activity.

My last batch was bubbling like crazy after 6 hours but I did not use any spices that batch.

What is wrong? Any ideas?

I did take out some tangerines thinking they were blocking the CO2 from escaping, but no improvement.

The only things I can think of are:

1. not enough shaking (oxygenation)

or

2. not enough rinsing (iodine solution still lingering on equipment.)

Could either of these be responsible or is there something else?

Should I wait, or throw in some more yeast, or give it another good shake?

Any advice?
My advice for now is to just let it ride. Sometimes it will start bubbling quicker than others for any number of reasons. I would just relax for now.

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 10-25-2012, 04:15 PM   #1008
baseness
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This is my JAOM variant, which has been frothing and bubbling since last night. I'm happy that the honey/water border is already becoming less sharply defined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salli4102 View Post
I don't think you have to boil the water and honey, I never do. But I do warm all the honey and a couple gallons of water to make it easier to handle once I get it in the carboy. Thinning the honey a bit makes it easier to incorperate all the ingredients evenly. Plus I buy my honey in half gallon jugs, so I use the water to get the last of the honey out of each one. There is about a pound of residual that clings to the sides. Incidentally, this is also true for extracts in beer brewing. Just a suggestion.
I did use hot water to extract the last little bit of honey out of each bottle. That stuff is expensive, and I didn't want to waste any. But, I guess that I didn't mix it as vigorously as I was supposed to. From now on, I think i'll try to make mead in smaller batches, so it will be easier to mix.
photo.jpg  
Old 10-25-2012, 04:27 PM   #1009
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1586 Times on 1118 Posts
Likes Given: 2552

Ive made JAOM where I have forgotten to mix at all. Guess what still happened? I made mead . I'm tellin ya, this stuff is forgiving.

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 10-25-2012, 06:05 PM   #1010
Zaffo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Indeed. I made a 5 gal batch and put in 5 cloves and 5 cinnamon sticks. A bit clovey (is that a word?), but still tasty. No complaints from all who tried it.

(I won't do it again, though... so if you read this before you make it, take that advice from the pros that have posted here...1-2 max cloves for 5 gal)

- Johnny Dangerously

Quick Reply