Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Mead > Grandma's liquid apple pie

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2014, 11:54 PM   #91
bbnbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Just mixed this up first go at a mead since closet stuff in high school a buddy made that tasted like crap so anything will be better but this smells amazing already. I think I'm going to let this ferment out then bottle and have for next fall. I had an og of 1.074 but I'm thinking probably a bit higher since I couldn't get all the honey mixed in is that a reasonable assumption or no?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2014, 02:52 AM   #92
crapstash
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I just followed the recipe from the original poster, except a little less honey. My OG came out to be 1.072. I used a Yeast Nutrient. I was impressed that I had bubbles in my air lock within 2 hours! This is my first Mead. I'm planning on it being ready by Christmas this year.

Just to clarify, when a mead recipe calls for 1oz of Nutmeg (or any other spice) is it assumed that this is a whole or ground spice? Does it make a huge difference?

Also, being new to this forum, I can't find information on nutrient additions during the fermentation. I'd like to know if/when I should be doing this with this recipe and others.

Thanks

Old 04-16-2014, 04:11 AM   #93
rlmiller10
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 65

tagging to follow. Come fall and the apples are ready I will have to try

Old 04-16-2014, 01:55 PM   #94
RegarRenill
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts

I prefer to use whole spices, the powdered/ground kind sometimes don't clear, even with finings. You can find more info on staggered nutrient additions(SNA) in the Mead Forum, this is the recipe forum; loads more info in the stickies over there :-)

Old 05-09-2014, 08:17 PM   #95
crapstash
Recipes 

I just transferred this to my secondary where it will keep till about December. The taste is not that great right now. No apple of cinnamon flavors at all. Almost a hot, floral taste. My SG right now after 25days is .996.
Hopefully those flavors will come out after another 8 months bulk aging.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:50 PM   #96
Gar
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I cannot completely remember the exact recipe but if anyones interested i can get it from my buddy. i made a 5 gallon batch of hot apple pie that my friend had found on the internet he made his 5 gallons to the exact recipe i made mine by fermenting all the juice and ciders ahead of time then added the everclear and bottled. mine was very hot his was very sweet. i let mine sit and tried it from time to time about 6 months apart and could see a drastic change every time. its about 3 years now and this stuff is nice and mellow no heat or trace of everclear at all but wow does it ever pack a punch.if you hide a 5 gallon batch away from your self in the celler you'll not regret it.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:06 PM   #97
foolsgold
Recipes 

Well this is my first post and my first start at homebrewing all in one
Started with
5 gallons of organic apple juice
5# of clover honey
1# light brown sugar (stupid store didn't have dark)
1# priming sugar
1oz ground nutmeg
2 cinnamon sticks
1 pack of lalvin 1118

Used StarSan to sanitize everything. Added 2 gallons of the apple juice to the carboy. Heated the sugar and nutmeg (fresh ground, my hand still hurts lol) with about a half gallon of juice till the sugar was dissolved. Added the honey to the carboy and shook it to mix with the juice. I did rehydrate the yeast per instructions on the packet. Added the sugar/juice from the stove and the last 2 1/2 gallons of juice and then the yeast.
Took a SG reading and got 1.160. That seams really high (again, first time brewing anything) compared to what others have posted on this thread. Do you think my reading was wrong? I took it before adding the yeast.
As a side note my son liked drinking the juice/honey mix that I used to take the reading lol. It's sitting in my basement now w/ the air lock on and an ambient temp of 73*F.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1031.jpg (24.3 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1032.jpg (16.5 KB, 77 views)

Quick Reply