DisturbdChemist's Disturbed Meads #3- Cinnamon Ginger Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DisturbdChemist

I'm drunk 60% of the time, all the time!
Reaction score
One gallon batch:

Ingredients:
4 lbs Honey (cheap grocery store brand)
3 Sticks of Cinnamon
few oz of Ginger

Yeast:
EC-1118

ABV: 10.7% (If you use nutrient it'll go dry and increase ABV)

Steps:
1) Pour 1/4 to 1/2 gallon of water in a pot and heat to boiling
2) During heat up, Cut and clean ginger.
3) When the water is boiling, remove from heat and add 2 sticks of Cinnamon and the ginger to the water.
4) Let the covered mixture sit in the hot water for 30 mins
5) After 30 mins or so remove the debris.
6) Once you removed the debris, add the honey and mix well.
7) After honey is fully dissolved add to the fermenter and let cool.
8) Once cool add the yeast and take measurements

"Dry Hop":
After primary fermentation (a few weeks or until clear) move to secondary. Taste and see the spice level. If you want more add a cinnamon stick and some more ginger for a week or so before bottling.

Notes:
This is another tasty mead. Cinnamon ginger works well with each other. I love cinnamon and ginger. I need to make this again too. Next time I'm going to let it dry out. It might help a little on the drier side but it was great on the sweeter side. Like a desert.

As Always, let me know how it turned out and if ya'll make any tweeks to it.

Awards:
None yet

Prosit!
Dustin

DisturbdChemist's Disturbed meads #1 - Jalapeno/Cucumber

DisturbdChemist's Disturbed meads #2 - Lemon/Basil

Kicked this off on Monday with a bread yeast as a goof. Fermentation is falling off really fast, which surprised me. I've generally been having pretty good luck using it before.

I'm wondering if I didn't amp up a bit much on the ginger, leading to a hostile environment. I may zap it with some nutrient just to give it a kick in the pants.

Fermentation seems to have wound almost entirely down. But it's been almost 3 weeks, so that makes sense. I'm going to rack it off and see how long it takes to clear on it's own.

That yeast is a beast and can ferment fairly quickly. Hope it comes out fantastic

I'm dying to taste it. Sure smells good, if yeasty. I've got a lot of experiments going, so I'm inclined to wait around for this to be ready.

I wonder how a couple sprigs of mint would do in it.

Odd. A little over a month, still nothing close to being clear.

They keep telling me Patience is a virtue.

you can always add some clarifying agents to it. Like Sparkleloid (sp?) or something simular will help clarify the mead. Time will always help a mead and will eventually clear but depends on your patients.

I pulled a sample of mine yesterday it's about 4 months old. This one is a bit cloudy still. Taste is great ! I'm going to go to secondary soon. The one on the right is the cinnamon ginger. The one on the left is the jalepeno cucumber ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406989325.387614.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Does this recipe ever require a water filled airlock be installed?

I just started it and know it needs to breath for a while. Just not sure if I should ever put water in the s-lock.

Does this recipe ever require a water filled airlock be installed?

I just started it and know it needs to breath for a while. Just not sure if I should ever put water in the s-lock.

You should always put an airlock on. You can get away with a balloon but i suggest you put an airlock on

I understand an airlock is needed. Am asking if I should fill it will water right away, in a while, or never. Some mead recipes, like Bray's One Month Mead require water be added to the airlock when the S.G. reaches a certain number.

I understand an airlock is needed. Am asking if I should fill it will water right away, in a while, or never. Some mead recipes, like Bray's One Month Mead require water be added to the airlock when the S.G. reaches a certain number.

I never heard of anything like that. I use vodka or star stan in the airlock.

Thanks for the quick response. I look forward to tasting this mead!!

My batch has been going about 35 days now. I tested the Sp Gr today and it was 1.038. Did not use any nutrient. It is sweet.

Is it too late to add nutrient? I'd like it to go to about 1.015 if possible.

My batch has been going about 35 days now. I tested the Sp Gr today and it was 1.038. Did not use any nutrient. It is sweet.

Is it too late to add nutrient? I'd like it to go to about 1.015 if possible.

What yeast did you use? you could add more yeast and nutrient if it doesn't restart.

Reminds me, I need to crack a bottle;)

I used EC-1118 as specified in the OP's recipe. Added 1.5 teaspoons of Fermax nutrient and the gallon jug is bubbling again. Looks like the ferment has restarted.

I used EC-1118 as specified in the OP's recipe. Added 1.5 teaspoons of Fermax nutrient and the gallon jug is bubbling again. Looks like the ferment has restarted.

I found out that if i add in the beginning and some about half way will help it go to dry. Im still playjng with it but the second addition should help it ferment more.

I made this earlier this week. It smells amazing. I am surprised that the krausen only lasted 24 hours. The airlock is still going strong though.

I may just add nutrients because it's a one gallon batch and back sweetening is fairly easy. Might as well booze it up.

Silly question, what would notty do with this? It's the only yeast I have on hand and I have everything else.

One gallon batch:

Ingredients:
4 lbs Honey (cheap grocery store brand)
3 Sticks of Cinnamon
few oz of Ginger

Yeast:
EC-1118

ABV: 10.7% (If you use nutrient it'll go dry and increase ABV)

Steps:
1) Pour 1/4 to 1/2 gallon of water in a pot and heat to boiling
2) During heat up, Cut and clean ginger.
3) When the water is boiling, remove from heat and add 2 sticks of Cinnamon and the ginger to the water.
4) Let the covered mixture sit in the hot water for 30 mins
5) After 30 mins or so remove the debris.
6) Once you removed the debris, add the honey and mix well.
7) After honey is fully dissolved add to the fermenter and let cool.
8) Once cool add the yeast and take measurements

"Dry Hop":
After primary fermentation (a few weeks or until clear) move to secondary. Taste and see the spice level. If you want more add a cinnamon stick and some more ginger for a week or so before bottling.

Notes:
This is another tasty mead. Cinnamon ginger works well with each other. I love cinnamon and ginger. I need to make this again too. Next time I'm going to let it dry out. It might help a little on the drier side but it was great on the sweeter side. Like a desert.

As Always, let me know how it turned out and if ya'll make any tweeks to it.

Awards:
None yet

Prosit!
Dustin

DisturbdChemist's Disturbed meads #1 - Jalapeno/Cucumber

DisturbdChemist's Disturbed meads #2 - Lemon/Basil
Looks good. I'm going to have to try this one.

I'm particularly interested in how the cinnamon and ginger flavors came through. Did they balance each other out well? Was the ginger too overpowering?

Back