Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Mead > Cherry Berry Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2013, 01:29 AM   #71
BWRIGHT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Slim, excuse my entire lack of experience of mead making but I've got a few questions. The first and only mead I made turned out tasting like acetone cough medicine. I kept it around for 2 years hoping it would improve but it only got worse. No idea what I did wrong first go around.....I'm guessing I stressed the hell out of my yeast by underpitching and didn't add enough nutrient but I really have no idea. I want to use canned berries because I've not had any luck using fresh. Do you see any problems arising from using canned? I've always added canned fruit to beers after primary fermentation has stopped (rack on top of secondary). As far as adding additional yeast nutrient, when, how much, and how often is necessary? This looks amazing to me but I'm going to flip if I ruin another batch (especially as much as this will cost).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2013, 04:31 AM   #72
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWRIGHT
Slim, excuse my entire lack of experience of mead making but I've got a few questions. The first and only mead I made turned out tasting like acetone cough medicine. I kept it around for 2 years hoping it would improve but it only got worse. No idea what I did wrong first go around.....I'm guessing I stressed the hell out of my yeast by underpitching and didn't add enough nutrient but I really have no idea. I want to use canned berries because I've not had any luck using fresh. Do you see any problems arising from using canned? I've always added canned fruit to beers after primary fermentation has stopped (rack on top of secondary). As far as adding additional yeast nutrient, when, how much, and how often is necessary? This looks amazing to me but I'm going to flip if I ruin another batch (especially as much as this will cost).
So anytime you get a mead that has a high acetone/alcohol flavor, chances are that your fermentation process went wrong, your yeast was over worked....or you left it on fruit! Give this a try and let me know what you think!

Old 03-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #73
JeffoC6
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffoC6 View Post
Hi, I'll be brewing my first mead with this recipe. I'm going to be making 1 gallon of it, but just wanted to ask some questions to make sure I've got everything (and the process) correct:

Since I'm brewing 1 gallon, I'm going to use:
2.4 pounds of light amber honey....Is any honey OK? Or do I need light amber specifically?

2.4 pounds of frozen strawberries

0.4 quarts of Welch's White Grape Cherry 100% Juice

0.4 teaspoons of yeast nutrients

Wyeast 4184 Sweet Mead....Since this is only 1 gallon, should I just pitch the entire package? I don't want to do a starter if I can help it.

0.2 gallons of water

So I'm going to heat the 0.2 gallons of water in a pot to a boil and in another pot, add all of my honey. Then I'm going to take the hot/boiling water and use it to get the last remaining honey out of the container, and dump it all into the other pot with the honey in it, right? I'm assuming I want the honey to be dissolved into the hot water?

From this point I add the Welsch's Juice and yeast nutrients? Do I let the honey/water cool completely? Or is it OK if it's still hot?

I'm going to pour everything into a 2 gallon fermenter (bucket), but fill to 1 gallon so I'll have headspace for the fermentation. I'm also planning on putting my pureed strawberries into a muslin bag so I can pull them out when I rack after the fermentation is over.

Does this plan sound good? Please advise if I've got this right. Most appreciated!
Hey Slim, not sure if you saw this, but could really use some assurance. Thanks...

Planned:
Prim #1: Ed Wort's Bavarian Hefe
Prim #2:
Prim #3:
Prim #4:
Prim #5:
Prim #6:
Bottled: Saddle-Up IPA, Leaf House IPA

Old 03-13-2013, 10:32 AM   #74
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffoC6

Hey Slim, not sure if you saw this, but could really use some assurance. Thanks...
You can use whatever honey you like...but my advice is to taste it first, if it's taste harsh raw, it will be harsh as mead.
I wouldn't add the yeast or the yeast nutrients until its down to 70 degrees.
Everything else sounds good!

Old 03-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #75
JeffoC6
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 28 Posts

Thanks!

Planned:
Prim #1: Ed Wort's Bavarian Hefe
Prim #2:
Prim #3:
Prim #4:
Prim #5:
Prim #6:
Bottled: Saddle-Up IPA, Leaf House IPA

Old 03-14-2013, 04:18 AM   #76
kellysrepairs
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

One last question? so I have everything I need for this my only questions are- I work in a resturant and got the frozen straw in the big white tubs, it says there just straw and sugar. there about half gallon 6lb tubs. should I thaw them out and drain the juice? and should I pitch 2 yeast being it's gonna be about 6 gallons if I keep the sugar juice?

Old 03-14-2013, 10:49 AM   #77
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysrepairs
One last question? so I have everything I need for this my only questions are- I work in a resturant and got the frozen straw in the big white tubs, it says there just straw and sugar. there about half gallon 6lb tubs. should I thaw them out and drain the juice? and should I pitch 2 yeast being it's gonna be about 6 gallons if I keep the sugar juice?
You can just throw them in the mix....but your mix must be 70 for the yeast to start eating.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:30 AM   #78
graydragon2
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I have a question for Slim or any others who have already bottled their mead already. I am in no hurry to bottle but I had a question about clarity. I have seen the picture of the bottled mead but was wondering how clear the mead will get in the carboy. This is where I am now as far as clarity. I know it is probably not the best picture but it was they best I was able to take. I just racked it a second time to take it off about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch of lees. Also I am wondering about any chemicals that anyone added such as stabilising agents and if any added them. I took another reading after racking and I am at 1.016 and have been there for over 4 weeks.

mead1.jpg  

Primary-
Secondary-
Next up - Apfelwein and/or a show mead
Bottled- Cherry Berry Melomel, Pappy's hard cider

Old 03-15-2013, 10:52 AM   #79
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by graydragon2
I have a question for Slim or any others who have already bottled their mead already. I am in no hurry to bottle but I had a question about clarity. I have seen the picture of the bottled mead but was wondering how clear the mead will get in the carboy. This is where I am now as far as clarity. I know it is probably not the best picture but it was they best I was able to take. I just racked it a second time to take it off about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch of lees. Also I am wondering about any chemicals that anyone added such as stabilising agents and if any added them. I took another reading after racking and I am at 1.016 and have been there for over 4 weeks.
It will continue to clear up, just make sure when you bottle that you remove additional sediment

Old 04-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #80
rideincircles
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I am about to rack my mead to its 3rd vessel. I would say that my mead will be completely different and more potent since I used D47 yeast. It has now fermented to around .997 and I am debating on what to do next. I want it to finish sweet and can't decide whether to add more honey and let the d47 max out in alcohol tolerance or just add the combo to kill fermentation. I am leaning towards adding more honey, but I will only be able to guess what the alcohol level is at and I don't know how much further the D47 can go.

I never measured gravity higher than 1.094 I think, but it has 17 lbs of honey added at various times, and 12 lbs in primary was the 1.094 reading. It started off with 12 lbs of frozen strawberries and 96 oz of cherry white grape juice and added 4 lbs of strawberries in secondary. I am done with strawberries and need to rack it off the fruit, just debating on which step next.

During primary it tasted and smelled super yeasty from the d47, but now that part has mellowed and it has super alcohol burn and is very dry. The strawberry flavor is good though and I expect this to keep improving. Just want it sweeter.

Started brewing February 2012:
All grain and partial mash brewer depending on time. Meads and apfelwein also.

Quick Reply