Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Mead > Cherry Berry Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 05:08 AM   #51
SD-SLIM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quesplosive
Just started this mead. I must say that I enjoyed drinking my sample that I took my og reading with. I just used the smack pack. Should I still add some more yeast nutrients, if so when and how much?
About a 1/4 of a tablespoon

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #52
rideincircles
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I just started a batch last night.

I used:
12 lbs. Whole foods Texas wildflower honey
12 lbs. Trader Joe's Frozen Strawberries
96 oz Cherry White grape Juice
2.5 gallons of water
Wyeast 4184 Sweet Mead Yeast

I mixed the ingredients Saturday when the strawberries were frozen, and got them to about 75 degrees yesterday when I pitched the yeasties. I have not pitched any yeast nutrients yet as I was waiting to do it in thirds once fermentation starts. I am using a mix-stir aerator and plan on aerating regularly through the 1st 3rd of fermenatation.

I guess my concern was that it's at the 6 gallon mark on my carboy, but including the the honey, it's only about 4.5 gallons of liquid. Should I just add more water later? I measured the OG at 1.090, but honey could be at the bottom and or my wine thief was getting clogged trying to fill it up to measure it. Wanted to do a 6 gallon batch before I realized how much volume the strawberries have.

Started brewing February 2012:
All grain and partial mash brewer depending on time. Meads and apfelwein also.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:06 AM   #53
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

I would get the water lever where you want it to be...since its not too far off...worst case scenario you need to add a alcohol booster later.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #54
rideincircles
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Gotcha. I will add some more when I get home. I am not seeing any bubbling activity yet after 30 hours and have aerated twice since pitching and added 2/3 tsp of Fermax. Temperature was 65 degrees so I put it in a warm water bath to get the temperature up slightly.

Will see what happens tonight, I wouldn't be able to buy more yeast until Thursday if needed. I do have some D47 in my fridge, but am guessing that would make it finish dry.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:55 PM   #55
rideincircles
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Ended up waiting around 48 hours with no visible signs of activity on my 4184 yeast, so I pitched some D47 and it was moving along this morning. IT wouldn't be until tomorrow night that I could have bought some more yeast 120 hours after making the must. Was worried about the possibility of mold or infection.

I added an extra pound of honey to it since the alcohol tolerance will possibly run this dry. I was debating on adding more. I measured 1.092 on my OG. I was thinking to get it above 1.1 at least. This is up in the air, I have 2 pounds of honey I could add.

I am expecting a strawberry mess possibly when I get home, it's around 6.5 gallons in my 7.5 gallon bucket. Also, I accidently added a pint of starsan instead of water to the must. I tried to scoop it out before it was mixed, but some is in there. Oh well.

Some rookie mistakes on my batch, just hoping it turns out okay. It's $85 worth of ingredients or so.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:16 PM   #56
graydragon2
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I have a question about the yeast. My LHBS was out of the wyeast but I have some red star wine yeast that is alc. tolerant to 13%. Would this be OK to use or should I get the wyeast. This is more an abv question than a question of whether I can use the yeast. The wyeast is 11% tolerant and the mead is 12%. Could I just add more honey to retain the sweetness with a slither higher ABV.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:51 AM   #57
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by graydragon2
I have a question about the yeast. My LHBS was out of the wyeast but I have some red star wine yeast that is alc. tolerant to 13%. Would this be OK to use or should I get the wyeast. This is more an abv question than a question of whether I can use the yeast. The wyeast is 11% tolerant and the mead is 12%. Could I just add more honey to retain the sweetness with a slither higher ABV.
You can use anything you want...but expect it to be a little dryer than a normal meed...however some mead makers love that yeast, so I say give it a shot!

Old 02-01-2013, 04:10 PM   #58
rideincircles
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I checked my batch last night and it is now at 1.024 after 10 days in with d47. I added nutrients last night and when it was at 1.060.

I need to calculate my OG, I measured 1.092 the first day, and added 2 pounds of honey the next day and it was 1.094. I am assuming it's somewhere above 1.1, but no clue where. Mine is at 15 lbs of honey, 12 lbs of strawberries and 96 oz of cherry white grape juice. I am debating on bumping up the strawberries equal to the honey and may add 3 more pounds in secondary. Playing that by ear depending on space.

Not certain where the D47 will finish at yet. I have heard 4184 can be a pain sometimes. Mine never did anything.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #59
rowsdower44
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm interested in trying this recipe but I have a question:

Why do you put the fruit in the primary? I seen several recipes where people put in fruit in the secondary only whereas to prevent weird flavors from producing due to the fermentation in the primary.

Is there nothing to worry about by putting the fruit in the primary?

Old 02-06-2013, 05:15 AM   #60
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowsdower44
I'm interested in trying this recipe but I have a question:

Why do you put the fruit in the primary? I seen several recipes where people put in fruit in the secondary only whereas to prevent weird flavors from producing due to the fermentation in the primary.

Is there nothing to worry about by putting the fruit in the primary?
You should always place it in the primary during active fermentation, then remove it from the fruit when it stops...in order to prevent nasty off flavors. You can use it in a secondary, but a week later you will need to transfer it again.

Quick Reply