Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Mead > Caramel Apple Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2012, 03:58 PM   #151
jmfitzgerald
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

excellent!!! thanks! i'm going to get this put together today i think. only difference is for the steeping grains i have some Belgium Special B laying around, so i may give that a shot vs the C-60L. it might be a little darker, but i think the flavors in the special B should work out great for this!

looking at the 2 recipes, it looks like you pretty much was able to take everything and divide it by 5. the only 2 questions that come up, after reading this long thread, from the first post i think the full 2lbs of buckwheat honey was used in primary, and an extra lb was used when racking to back sweeten it. so 3lbs total, but in your recipe, it looks like you split that amount between the primary and back sweetening, have you got to sample this yet? or is it still aging? also, i noticed you used pectic enzyme when adding vanilla and no mention of super kleer... is this doing essentially the same thing?

last thing, cinnamon. i love it. i'm thinking of adding a stick when adding the vanilla bean. would this be the right time to add it? and anyone tried it? i'm assuming cinnamon carmel apple should be amazing too or just stick with the base? got a couple weeks to decide i guess.

thanks everyone. great thread!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 07:00 PM   #152
pgenius
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal4x4 View Post
That was a bit of a concern when I was comparing the profiles at the store, but figured I'd go with the expert behind the counter. I hope I didn't get steered in the wrong direction.
It's now day 4 and it's still bubbling away pretty good. I've added my first round of fermaid and give it a good shake everyday.
What happens when the yeast die too soon?
I work at my LHBS, and I wouldn't have recommended that yeast for this batch at all. You could be okay, and I don't mean to stress you out, but if they do die, then you will be stuck at a higher FG than anticipated.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:02 PM   #153
Meadrol
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmfitzgerald View Post
excellent!!! thanks! i'm going to get this put together today i think. only difference is for the steeping grains i have some Belgium Special B laying around, so i may give that a shot vs the C-60L. it might be a little darker, but i think the flavors in the special B should work out great for this!

looking at the 2 recipes, it looks like you pretty much was able to take everything and divide it by 5. the only 2 questions that come up, after reading this long thread, from the first post i think the full 2lbs of buckwheat honey was used in primary, and an extra lb was used when racking to back sweeten it. so 3lbs total, but in your recipe, it looks like you split that amount between the primary and back sweetening, have you got to sample this yet? or is it still aging? also, i noticed you used pectic enzyme when adding vanilla and no mention of super kleer... is this doing essentially the same thing?

last thing, cinnamon. i love it. i'm thinking of adding a stick when adding the vanilla bean. would this be the right time to add it? and anyone tried it? i'm assuming cinnamon carmel apple should be amazing too or just stick with the base? got a couple weeks to decide i guess.

thanks everyone. great thread!
Hey Jim,

The amounts of buckwheat honey did get confusing as he gave conflicting answers to posters. The way I read it from the first few posts was that it was a total of 2 pounds of buckwheat honey with one going into primary and the other after racking off the vanilla bean so that's the way I went with it. I did not need to use any kind of finings with this mead; it cleared beautifully on its own with just the pectic enzyme. Hope this helps.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:09 PM   #154
jmfitzgerald
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

ha! well i just got done making this 1G batch this morning and it smells amazing!!! being i just got back online, i missed your last reply, and i went with what i thought i read earlier and put the 6.4oz of buckwheat honey in there, and wow, i got an OG of 1.156... this is going to be some rocket fuel! should i dilute this with water to bring the OG down a bit and if so where to, 1.120??? i used go ferm, and aerated the crap out of it with a paint stirrer attached to a drill for a long time!!! trying to give those yeasties the best environment with such a high OG, but still a bit concerned it "too" high. thoughts on diluting it??

Old 10-19-2012, 09:28 PM   #155
Meadrol
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah I'd go ahead and dilute it down before the yeasties really start kicking.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:32 AM   #156
jmfitzgerald
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Well I went ahead and split the difference and diluted it down to an OG of 1.135 yesterday before anything started. Still a very slow start with the fermentation front though. Still haven't seen a single bubble in the airlock, but finally tonight as I went to aerate it for the second time today, the gravity was down to about 1.120. So it's starting, but slow. Weird no bubbles in the airlock, but once opened the lid it sure looked like something was going on with some dark brown crud on top of LOTS of light brown bubbles... And just to confirm, I should keep aerating it twice daily until I get to the 1/3 sugar break? Just a bit different from beer world.

This was it after tonight's aeration!
Thanks again! Cheers!

image-1297698285.jpg  

Old 10-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #157
Meadrol
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yep, that's correct on aeration; with mead you have to remember that there is a lag phase and it's really slow compared to beer.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:36 AM   #158
Recipes 

Just brewed this up tonight. Got an OG of 1.112. Added around 9.75lbs of clover honey cause that's all I could really afford. Hope the low OG won't hurt the desired taste. Thanks for the recipe!

Old 11-21-2012, 12:37 PM   #159
greyday
Recipes 

I'm planning to start this in the next few days (found this forum from the repost of the recipe over at winemakers). This'll be my first mead, though I've done many wines. Any advice before I begin? Also, will blackberry honey be a suitable replacement for the buckwheat? Couldn't find any info on the flavor profile of blackberry honey, not sure if this will adversely effect the recipe. Planning to do a 3 gallon batch, so we'll see...

Old 11-22-2012, 01:49 PM   #160
Meadrol
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I wouldn't replace the buckwheat with blackberry...the buckwheat honey is part of what gives it that caramel apple flavor.

Quick Reply