Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Mead > Blueberry Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2012, 02:47 PM   #81
Theshorey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I gonna have to try and make a batch of this ASAP... Everyone in my family likes the "sweeter" wines and I'm trying to turn them onto mead, any suggestion for a smaller batch in the sweet/ semi-sweet range with around 11% ABV (A few lightweights in the family)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2012, 01:29 PM   #82
huesmann
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Suggestion: use the blueberries in secondary rather than primary for more blueberry flavor.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #83
mgayer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theshorey View Post
I gonna have to try and make a batch of this ASAP... Everyone in my family likes the "sweeter" wines and I'm trying to turn them onto mead, any suggestion for a smaller batch in the sweet/ semi-sweet range with around 11% ABV (A few lightweights in the family)
Try a cyser. You don't need the large amount of honey to get a nice sweet flavor. Use a Lalvin D-47 yeast, as it works well. I am at work but you will need to add a bit of nutrients and a bit of pectic enzyme, I believe I put a 1/4 tsp of each in the last 1 gal batch. You can always back sweeten! You can also leave this without racking for a few months and it develops nice esters. I have left it without racking for 6 months and no off flavors.

In the Carboy:
Red wine
Roman Raisin Wine
Bottle aging/drinking:
Mead
Apple Wine (15% abv)
Strawberry Wine
Elder Flower Wine
Blue moon Clone

Old 05-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #84
opus345
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgayer View Post
My niece and her friends from college loved it and went through a bunch very quickly. They then became very wild for some reason. Could it be that the 17% ABV was masked by the sweetness!!!! Anyway it was a great bonfire and the Melomel was a hit.
Jeez, I thought this was going to turn into a Penthouse letter there for a second.

Going to start this mead this weekend while remembering all those that have made the ultimate sacrifice.

Thanks mgayer!

Old 06-21-2012, 02:23 PM   #85
knotquiteawake
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Ok, I finally bought the honey for this. Have blueberries in the freezer. And I have yeast, nutrients, energizer, and pectic enzyme en route from AHS. Finally I can start my first mead!

So what was the final verdict on the blueberries? Add all of them at first in the primary? Add 1/2 at primary and then other 1/2 at secondary? All all 5lbs at primary and then an additional few lbs at secondary? Blend them? Crush them?

Old 06-22-2012, 06:57 AM   #86
Sirthomas42
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've made this twice now. Turned out silly good both times. I would add most of the blueberries in primary. Save maybe 1 lb and add them in 2ndary. More than that, and theres so many in the carboy, they just sit on top and don't steep in the wine.

Oh, and I froze my blueberries, thawed them, and smashed them in a plastic bag before dumping them in a mesh fruit bag for primary. For 2ndary, just dump a pound right into the carboy and rack the mead over them. Leave a little space as the berries tend to expand and blow up your airlock.

I usually start with a 5.5-6 gallon batch, so after primary, I have an extra half-gallon jug I use to top up the carboy after racking out of 2ndary. I hate topping up with water. Just my two gold pieces, from a seasoned winemaker of 18 months :-D

Pendergrast Family Wines: Bottling in memory of Thomas and Glennadene Miller

Primary: Spiced Apfelwein, Banana, Habanero Mead, Mango Wine, White grape-Raspberry

Secondary: Apfelwein, Choco-cherry Mead, Plum Mead, Blueberry-Vanilla Mead, Mixed berry wine+mead, Cherry Wine

Bottled: Too many to list!

Old 06-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #87
knotquiteawake
Recipes 

I appreciate it. You have more wine/mead making experience than I. Been doing beer for 4 years, but never tried a wine/mead.

So you've been making wine for 18 months, and you've already made two batches of blueberry mead? And tried both which were both delicious? So how long did you let the mead sit in secondary before you bottled and tried it?

Old 06-22-2012, 01:13 PM   #88
opus345
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quick update. I used a 7.9 gal plastic pail without the lid to ferment. I used 10 lbs of honey, 9 lbs of blueberries, and D-47 in the primary. I went two weeks in primary and punched down and stirred the must everyday. 1st racking into a glass 5 gal carboy on top of 1 lb of honey with an airlock. It started bubbling right away and after a week has started to slow. During each fermentation period, I'm using a swamp cooler with a wet tshirt on the carboy. On the second racking, I will add another 1 lb of honey. On the 3rd and 4th rackings, I will add 2 oz of Blueberry extract. Will taste test during 3rd and 4th racking to see if I want to add any additional honey.

Now that the plastic primary is free, looking to do either a triple berry variation of this recipe or do a Strawberry melomel. From my reading/research, it looks like the best approach is to put the strawberries in the secondary.

Mead: Capsicumel, Strawberry, Jalapeno, Triple Berry, Blueberry, JOAM (2g), Apfelwein (20g),
On Deck:

Sleepycat Brewery

Old 06-22-2012, 01:17 PM   #89
knotquiteawake
Recipes 

What are you guys shooting for with temp? Here in Texas were about to have a week plus of 100 degree weather. The best I can do is keep my home office at 74 (because it has its own window AC unit) and the rest of the house on the central AC at 75-78.
For beers I usually put it in a big bucket with ice bottles for the first week (around 67 degrees) and then (since the majority of the fermentation is done) just let it be at whatever temp it wants to be at (under 75 usually).

Old 06-22-2012, 02:36 PM   #90
Sirthomas42
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah, I was impatient and rushed my first few batches. My first mead was in 2ndary maybe 2 months. I bottled it when it was clear. Still came out really tasty. It's a year old now, we cracked a bottle the other day and it was insane.

Here in western WA, it's not too warm most of the year, so I use a space heater to keep my primary room at 75. Some yeasts might like it a little warmer, others cooler, but they all like 75.

Pendergrast Family Wines: Bottling in memory of Thomas and Glennadene Miller

Primary: Spiced Apfelwein, Banana, Habanero Mead, Mango Wine, White grape-Raspberry

Secondary: Apfelwein, Choco-cherry Mead, Plum Mead, Blueberry-Vanilla Mead, Mixed berry wine+mead, Cherry Wine

Bottled: Too many to list!

Quick Reply