Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Mead > Blueberry Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2009, 11:18 PM   #21
ruger12pk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I made 5 gallons of tradtional mead and after a month racked it...then after another two weeks racked it back into the plastic ferementer with 1 teaspoon pectic enzyme and 4 1/2 pounds of blueberries in a muslin bag...and it going happily away..Ill prolly pull it in another 2 -3 weeks...then let it clear....

"I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, I love only that which they defend.”

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2009, 10:45 PM   #22
corexcore
Recipes 

I've adapted this recipe down to be used in a one gallon format, and I was wondering; when you add the honey at the rackings, do you mix it up? stir or shake the new container, or should you not to avoid aerating the yeast too much/getting oxygen into the mix, which is said to be a bad thing once you're in the primary stage.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:26 PM   #23
mgayer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

don't shake or stir! The yeast is still suspended in the must and will get to the honey. I like to add the honey to the carboy and rack on top of it. It will get it mixed a bit better that way. Wish I had the stuff to make a new batch as it is all gone and since I moved I don't have the berries yet. Bushes are growing however.

In the Carboy:
Red wine
Roman Raisin Wine
Bottle aging/drinking:
Mead
Apple Wine (15% abv)
Strawberry Wine
Elder Flower Wine
Blue moon Clone

Old 08-20-2009, 06:06 AM   #24
corexcore
Recipes 

Alright, thanks a lot for the advice. I'm racking for the first time tomorrow and probably would have shaken. Very glad to have gotten to this in time!

Old 08-21-2009, 05:50 AM   #25
corexcore
Recipes 

I'm concerned for my mead. I racked it for the first time today and, lacking an auto siphon or a convenient way to get on in the next few days, I used a sanitized tube and siphoned it the old fashioned way -- sucking the end of the tube and so forth. The flow started and stopped a couple of times, and once I sucked a bit too long and some of the mead got in my mouth. The taste was.. repellent. It was very bitter and sour, almost like bile. It seems to smell fine, like a wine at least, and it looks alright. Has anyone else tasted their mead at this stage? I don't imagine this taste is what is intended, however, I do recognize that the front part of the tongue isn't the best way to judge the taste, and it is fairly low on honey at this stage and quite high on rotting blueberries. I'm going to continue the experiment to the end, at least through the racking process and probably age it a couple of months, but again, I'm curious as to whether anyone else has experienced this or similar problems?

Thanks for the advice or sharing experience!

Old 08-24-2009, 05:27 PM   #26
DuffmanAK
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Can't say I've ever tried mead at that stage, though was the other end of the tube down on the yeast cake? Maybe you just got a mouth full of yeasties.

I've not made many meads (one in fact, about to start on my second) but I can say form making beer you never ever ever want to suck siphon beer. Lots of bacteria in your mouth can sour the beer. Not sure if that's true with mead. Worst case, just age it plenty, and see if the flavors mellow some.

The only, only time you should dump a brew is if you've finished it, bottled and aged it, tried it and nearly vomited, aged it for twice that long again, tried it again and nearly vomited again. It's damn hard to ruin beer. I've managed once.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:07 PM   #27
corexcore
Recipes 

Hmm. Thanks for the heads up. I suppose for my next racking, I'll pick up a siphon pump of some sort. I don't think it was in the yeast cake, but that may have been it. I'll certainly age it plenty and continue the try, we'll see how it comes out. Thanks again!

Old 08-24-2009, 08:55 PM   #28
jezter6
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by corexcore View Post
on rotting blueberries.
ok, so you've racked within the first 2-3 weeks - this stuff is still nowhere NEAR the point of actually attempting to taste it.

but rotting blueberries??? ewwwww

I am a member of the Maryland Brewday Group - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/groups/md-brew-day/

MD Dec Brewday 12/11/10 - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f20/md-p...ew-day-195534/

Old 08-25-2009, 12:31 AM   #29
DuffmanAK
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by corexcore View Post
Hmm. Thanks for the heads up. I suppose for my next racking, I'll pick up a siphon pump of some sort. I don't think it was in the yeast cake, but that may have been it. I'll certainly age it plenty and continue the try, we'll see how it comes out. Thanks again!
If you don't have one, look for an "auto siphon" they're awesome on a stick
The only, only time you should dump a brew is if you've finished it, bottled and aged it, tried it and nearly vomited, aged it for twice that long again, tried it again and nearly vomited again. It's damn hard to ruin beer. I've managed once.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:47 PM   #30
LightningInABottle
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It is the end of blueberry season here in Michigan so I will attempt this as my first 5 gallon batch. I have ordered blueberry honey and have gotten most of my equipment. I'm shooting for Oct 4 as the start date. I will post up the final recipe after pitching. I can't wait 8)

Quick Reply