Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Mead > Blueberry Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2008, 10:31 PM   #11
Steiner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I brewed a small batch of this Blueberry Mead in January before I went overseas for a couple months. It's been in the primary this entire time. I sampled a bit and tastes pretty good (I think), but it's got a pretty major alcohol bite and is an immediate stomach warmer. Not sure if the alcohol will soften with aging, or perhaps this is as it is supposed to be. I also don't know if I want it that much sweeter. It's my first mead (or melomel, I guess). At this point, I did not rack into any secondaries or add any additional honey since brewing in January.

What would be the recommended procedure? Rack alone, with honey, or just bottle as is (seems good and it's been sitting over five months in the primary)? Also, any ideas if this would taste good "sparkling"? If not priming, I assume bottling goes on as normal just without the added sugar, right?

Primary: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Secondary: Pumpkin Ale, Scottish Ale
Aging: Oaked Vanilla Bourbon Porter, Blueberry Mead, Orange Mead
Drinking:
Next:

Time heals...
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/blog.php?b=104
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost...&postcount=101

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2008, 10:45 PM   #12
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

This should soften with time.
Rack to a good secondary and give it another 2 or 4 months, then bottle.
No carb bottling goes as described.
I wouldn't add more honey at this point....if you want sweet ,stabilize before adding additional sugar.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:46 PM   #13
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

mgayer
What's th update on your version? It's almost a year!

Old 06-26-2008, 11:28 AM   #14
mgayer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
I brewed a small batch of this Blueberry Mead in January before I went overseas for a couple months. It's been in the primary this entire time. I sampled a bit and tastes pretty good (I think), but it's got a pretty major alcohol bite and is an immediate stomach warmer. Not sure if the alcohol will soften with aging, or perhaps this is as it is supposed to be. I also don't know if I want it that much sweeter. It's my first mead (or melomel, I guess). At this point, I did not rack into any secondaries or add any additional honey since brewing in January.

What would be the recommended procedure? Rack alone, with honey, or just bottle as is (seems good and it's been sitting over five months in the primary)? Also, any ideas if this would taste good "sparkling"? If not priming, I assume bottling goes on as normal just without the added sugar, right?
Rack and let it sit a few more months. You didn't say what the ABV is or what kind of yeast you used. The lees should be very compact and if you used D-47 yeast there should be no problem with aging on the fruit. If you like the flavor and the current sweetness then leave it as is. Its true flavor hits at about 9 to 12 months.

The bite should subside with age and stomach warmth is a sign of higher ABV. Mine did that for the first 6 months of aging. Making sparkling melomels is a good thing to try. I would drop a tablespoon of honey in and bottle. It is good but not my favorite way. Just pull off a couple of bottles and see how you like it.

In the Carboy:
Red wine
Roman Raisin Wine
Bottle aging/drinking:
Mead
Apple Wine (15% abv)
Strawberry Wine
Elder Flower Wine
Blue moon Clone

Old 06-26-2008, 12:01 PM   #15
mgayer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
mgayer
What's th update on your version? It's almost a year!
It is better each time. Just popped a cork last weekend and it is almost perfect. The slick sweet has diminished and it is toned down. It is not a dessert wine sweet but close. The blueberry flavor has intensifed and the bite is gone. It still has a nice warming effect on the tummy but anything above the 16% abv range tends to do that.

Got a bit of sediment in the bottle so it should have bulk aged in the carboy a bit longer. She has a nice glow in the light, a nice purple tint and you can watch the legs form and it instantly tries to crawl up the side of the glass.

Will do this one at least once a year. I am waiting for the Strawberry melomel and the traditional mead to finish first. These are only a bit over 30 days and I only have about 6 bottles of the Apple wine left so apple is next the the blueberry again.

In the Carboy:
Red wine
Roman Raisin Wine
Bottle aging/drinking:
Mead
Apple Wine (15% abv)
Strawberry Wine
Elder Flower Wine
Blue moon Clone

Old 06-29-2008, 11:32 PM   #16
Steiner
Recipes 

I used WL Sweet Mead Yeast. I racked to a secondary. The aroma was amazing. I swear it almost tasted like a brandy, just lighter. If only I had a still. I'll leave it in the secondary for a couple more months and will bottle from there. I'm almost regretting I only made a 1-gallon batch. I'm still not sure how it's going to turn out and if I'll like it, but I'd rather not regret that I had made more and instead have to wait another year before I can have some.

What is the prescribed method for bottle conditioning? How long? Can I use standard beer bottles and caps? What's the benefit of a cork, aside from the fact that it's resealable? Thanks for the help.

Primary: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Secondary: Pumpkin Ale, Scottish Ale
Aging: Oaked Vanilla Bourbon Porter, Blueberry Mead, Orange Mead
Drinking:
Next:

Time heals...
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/blog.php?b=104
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost...&postcount=101

Old 09-12-2008, 05:12 PM   #17
Brandx40
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default getting this going today

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgayer View Post
5 lbs Frozen Blueberries
16 lbs Honey
5 tsp Yeast Nutrients
2 tsp Yeast Energizer
3/4 tsp Pectic Enzyme
5 Campden tablets
3 packets of Lalvin D47 Yeast

Mix 13 lbs of honey with about 1 gallon of water. Shake until your arms are tired. I use about a half a gallon of hot water from the tap per half gallon of honey. Pour into fermentor and add one gallon of room temp water. Add nutrients, energizer, pectic enzyme and crushed campden tables. Allow blueberries to completely thaw and mash them with your hands to just crush or split the berries. Add the blueberries to the must and cover for 24 hours.

Make a yeast starter with a cup of water and a cup of the must, around 84 degrees. Add the yeast and make sure it is working. Pitch the yeast after 30 minutes and stir to suspend.

Be careful how much water you add at this point as the blueberries will rise to the top start to swell. Not over 3/4 full in the fermentor. Cover with a towel or something that can breath. You need the O2 now. Stir every day for 10-14 days. Rack off into secondary and top off to proper level. Put the Air-lock on the secondary and rack about every 30 days for 4 months. Add 1 lb of honey for the next 3 rackings for a sweeter mead. It should not be in the dry range but it is much better in the semi-sweet range, the yeast should take this to about 14.5% ABV before it is overwhelemed.

You should have it clear and fermentation finished by around 4 months. Age as needed and I recommend bulk aging this one.

I am excited to get this recipe going today! This will be only the 2nd mead that I have made and it sounds great. I have tried a few mead styles and really like them sparkling. Obviously it will be a while before bottling, but I wanted to know if I want to make it bubbly, what is the best thing to prime with? More honey or just priming sugar? Also for 5 gal, is it the same 3/4 cup?

Old 09-28-2008, 03:49 AM   #18
Brandx40
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgayer View Post
Rack and let it sit a few more months. You didn't say what the ABV is or what kind of yeast you used. The lees should be very compact and if you used D-47 yeast there should be no problem with aging on the fruit. If you like the flavor and the current sweetness then leave it as is. Its true flavor hits at about 9 to 12 months.

The bite should subside with age and stomach warmth is a sign of higher ABV. Mine did that for the first 6 months of aging. Making sparkling melomels is a good thing to try. I would drop a tablespoon of honey in and bottle. It is good but not my favorite way. Just pull off a couple of bottles and see how you like it.
I have a batch of blueberry melo going right now and I want it to be semi sweet and sparkling. Seems like the style would lend itself well to holiday parties and stuff. Anyway, is that a tablespoon of honey per bottle? I am afraid of exploding bottles. Let me know. Thanks
So far it smells fantastic.

Old 12-14-2008, 02:38 PM   #19
Recipes 

I started a gallon of this at the beginning of novemeber. I just cracked it for the second racking since being in secondary and stole a sample. Still doesn't taste or smell like blueberries, or anything else positive. The smell was repellant, and I couldn't finish the ounce that I sampled. Sound like a possible infection? I'm a little concerned since the earlier descriptions of this recipe say how it smelled better each day in primary, while mine only got more harsh and harder to breath as the days went by. I'll keep with it though and and hope that it turns around.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:19 PM   #20
flyweed
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Well I have 5 gallons of this going right now. I just did the second racking of it and added another pound of honey.

I took a sample with my thief. Current S.G. = 1.019

initial smell, very much alcohol scent...no noticable blueberry or honey scent. upon tasting...on the front of my mouth there was a hint of sweet honey, and a very very tiny hint of blueberry. You could notice both. in the back of the mouth was fairly dry. swallowing was actually a pleasant warming..not a high alcohol burn like I was expecting. I think with the next honey additions..this will turn out to be a very very fine blueberry melomel. If there isn't enough blueberry flavor and smell when it's finished I do have a bottle of blueberry concentrate I may add to finish it off. We'll just have to wait and see.

Here's a photo of it in glass:

On Tap: Blackberry Blonde Ale
On Tap: Apple/Cherry Hard Cider

Last edited by flyweed; 12-16-2008 at 09:23 PM.

Quick Reply