Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Mead > Blueberry Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 05:12 PM   #101
mgayer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by acyl View Post
Nice!. Well I had 100lbs of berries and I pressed them all because I dont want to deal with pressing them after fermentation.

I now have 6 gallons of pure blueberry juice. How many batches can I make with this?
Check the gravity of the juice! Just replace juice for some of the water to get the gravity close the the OG of the recipe. If you need to top off when racking use the juice. 6 gallons of juice should make several batches!

In the Carboy:
Red wine
Roman Raisin Wine
Bottle aging/drinking:
Mead
Apple Wine (15% abv)
Strawberry Wine
Elder Flower Wine
Blue moon Clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #102
mgayer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotquiteawake View Post
Allright... my must is um... "musting" now I guess. Waiting 24 hours to pitch the yeast.
So how is it going??

In the Carboy:
Red wine
Roman Raisin Wine
Bottle aging/drinking:
Mead
Apple Wine (15% abv)
Strawberry Wine
Elder Flower Wine
Blue moon Clone

Old 10-12-2012, 03:22 PM   #103
d10coalpusher
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Got a 5 gallon batch of this going about 7 days ago and its still bubbling real nice. This is my first mead so I'm kind've excited to see how it comes out after ageing. Thanks for the recipe!

Old 10-16-2012, 04:42 AM   #104
d10coalpusher
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Into secondary after 10 days with 3 lbs of thawed blueberries, 1 lb of honey and fermenting away!

image-2252080473.jpg  

Old 11-24-2012, 02:29 PM   #105
opus345
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Yee Haw! Wow, bottled the Annabelle Blueberry Mead on Thanksgiving morning. I thought it was ridiculously good during each sampling while racking, but it has been 6 months and has just gotton better and better. Took a couple of bottles to the family gatherings and everyone thought it was fantastic, told me I should be selling it, yada, yada, yada. The problem is that I ended up giving out almost a case! Now I need to hide at least 6 bottles and immediately start another batch. I already have a TrippleBerry and Strawberry in secondary. You can see pix of the bottled mead in the Show Us you Mead in a photo thread. Thanks mgayer/flyweed. Fantastic recipe. Need to talk to Santa about a kegerator this year just for the blueberry mead!

Mead: Capsicumel, Strawberry, Jalapeno, Triple Berry, Blueberry, JOAM (2g), Apfelwein (20g),
On Deck:

Sleepycat Brewery

Old 12-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #106
Chris7687
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Hey guys, I am looking to get into the mead aspect of homebrewing and this is the recipe I am going to take the leap with! Just a bit confused on the process and equipment I should use. I am hoping to get some feedback as I purchased all the supplies and I am looking to make a 1 gallon batch tomorrow afternoon, while I brew up a Pale Ale.

Here is my recipe per the 1 gallon batch:
1 lb of Blueberries
3 lbs of Honey
1 tsp Yeast Nurtient
1/2 tsp Yest Energizer
Tiny amount of Pectin Enzyme (Can't really measure out a 1/7 tsp)
1 Campden Tablet
3/4 Pack of Yeast

I have a few questions on the process though. Mgayer stated to only fill the jug, including berries, 3/4 of the way due to the expansion of hte berries. So in my case I was thinking of filling the jug half full then adding the 1 lb of berries to see where I sit. How much water and honey should be added to this 1/2 batch? Secondly, when I got to top off the batch after it has primary fermented for 21 days, how much water to honey ratio am I topping off? Am I doing maybe 1.5 pounds of honey and 1/8 gallon of water to get my 1/2 jug of liquid and then another 1.5 pound honey and an additional 1/8 gallon of water to top off?

Also, after the primary fermentation am I leaving the blueberries behind (not take them to secondary)?

Old 12-04-2012, 09:26 PM   #107
opus345

Recipes 

Chris,

I started with mgayer's recipe, but then found flyweed's process description which really helped. In fact I have used the "flyweed" method on a triple berry and a strawberry Both are in secondary and being racked every month.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/best...d-ever-111754/

I mashed the berries, added them to a 7 gal bucket. I then added the water and honey. I then added the nutriment, the energizer, and the campden tablet, mix everything up well and let it sit for 24 hours. After 24 hours, I proofed the yeast and then pitched after 40 mins. I put a large nylon bag over the top of the bucket and into the fermentation chamber it went. Every day for 14 days, I would punch the fruit cap down and stir the must to add O2 and so that the fruit would not dry out on top and rot. After primary, I rack the mead off of the blueberrys onto 1.5 lbs of honey and then did three more rackings each month. 2nd & 3rd racking was on top of 1.5 lbs of honey. 3rd & 4th racking included 2oz blueberry extract. Pulling small tests to confirm I was headed in the right direction for tastes. I actually took mgayer's and flyweed's postings and created a super set of instructions.

Mead: Capsicumel, Strawberry, Jalapeno, Triple Berry, Blueberry, JOAM (2g), Apfelwein (20g),
On Deck:

Sleepycat Brewery

Old 12-05-2012, 02:06 AM   #108
Chris7687
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Thanks for your quick reply opus. Very insightful. I am feeling that a 1 gallon batch of mead isn't worth the work and time that goes into it. Oh well, I'll do it and hopefully it'll get me hooked. How much water would you say for the 3 lbs of honey in the jug for primary?

Old 12-05-2012, 05:03 AM   #109
opus345

Recipes 

Treat the 1 gal batch as a test batch.

I would leave some room, 2 or 3 inches. You can always top off with water after you rack off the fruit. Watch it close for the first week in case the fruit tries to escape. Maybe think about a blow off tube in case things get really crazy during primary.

Here is a posting that contains pix of my progression. The last pix shows two Jalapeno Mead test batches in 1 gal jugs (4 lbs honey, 1 Jalapeno, D47, water, and Staggered Nutrient feeding).

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/show...ml#post4617023

I love looking at the what everyone else is doing.

On Deck:

Sleepycat Brewery

Old 12-05-2012, 12:01 PM   #110
Chris7687
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I just went to Home Depot and bought a 2 gallon bucket (no lid), would this work good for primary fermentation? Figured I would mix everything first in the growler, pour it into the bucket, and then toss the fruit in there.

Quick Reply