Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Mead > Blueberry Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2012, 09:33 PM   #91
opus345
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 156

With D-47, I try to keep it below 70. Basement furnace room that stays around 70-72 during the year. Secondary sits in a rope tub with about 6-8 inches of water. I use frozen water bottles that I swap out in the morning and evening during fermentation. I also have a damp tshirt on the carboy that I keep wet. I think I'm usually keeping it at 65-68. I bought an $80 standup freezer off craigslist and just recently received my aquarium temp controller, so my fermentation temps should stabilize in the near future.

Mead: Capsicumel, Strawberry, Jalapeno, Triple Berry, Blueberry, JOAM (2g), Apfelwein (20g),
On Deck:

Sleepycat Brewery

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2012, 03:40 AM   #92
kushluk33
Recipes 

Anyone here cultivate their own honey? this is probably the only way i would suggest improving this recipe.

thanks for the post. came out awesome.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:47 AM   #93
knotquiteawake
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Allright... my must is um... "musting" now I guess. Waiting 24 hours to pitch the yeast.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:12 PM   #94
knotquiteawake
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 19

My "giant" bag of frozen blueberries I used in the primary only weighed 4lbs. Since the recipe calls for 5lbs I was thinking of either tossing another 2lbs of smushed frozen blueberries OR maybe taking that same 2lbs and making a puree out of it and adding it that way for maximum flavor extraction.
The primary was an Ale pale, the secondary is a carboy (6 gallon) so I'm looking for both the best flavor extraction and the most painless cleanup.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:54 PM   #95
mgayer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default Adding Blueberries

Good idea. I have started adding more blueberries to this as the difference in sweetness and flavor change yearly with the blueberries. A puree works nice in a secondary to improve the blueberry flavor and usually compacts well with the other lees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotquiteawake View Post
My "giant" bag of frozen blueberries I used in the primary only weighed 4lbs. Since the recipe calls for 5lbs I was thinking of either tossing another 2lbs of smushed frozen blueberries OR maybe taking that same 2lbs and making a puree out of it and adding it that way for maximum flavor extraction.
The primary was an Ale pale, the secondary is a carboy (6 gallon) so I'm looking for both the best flavor extraction and the most painless cleanup.

In the Carboy:
Red wine
Roman Raisin Wine
Bottle aging/drinking:
Mead
Apple Wine (15% abv)
Strawberry Wine
Elder Flower Wine
Blue moon Clone

Old 07-14-2012, 12:05 AM   #96
Budzien
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I'm new to mead and I've been experimenting with one gallon batches. Unfortunately, none are ready to sample. Since I'm only using a one gallon jug, I was wondering if using the juice from an Oregon Blueberry can would work well since the blueberries expand so much. Any ideas? I really want to make this!

Old 08-11-2012, 11:37 PM   #97
acyl
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

why stir the must daily?

Old 08-12-2012, 12:01 AM   #98
Sirthomas42
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You stir the must of a fruit wine because that keeps the floating fruit wet. If the tops of floating blueberries dry out, they could potentially rot or mold.

Anyways, I made my 2nd batch of this several months ago, added a few vanilla beans in 2ndary. When we bottled it, the vanilla was overpowering. I thought I'd ruined it. But 6 months later, I crack a bottle and the vanilla has mellowed dramatically. It's more of an aroma and aftertaste now. I think it might be better than the original recipe I made 18 months ago!

Pendergrast Family Wines: Bottling in memory of Thomas and Glennadene Miller

Primary: Spiced Apfelwein, Banana, Habanero Mead, Mango Wine, White grape-Raspberry

Secondary: Apfelwein, Choco-cherry Mead, Plum Mead, Blueberry-Vanilla Mead, Mixed berry wine+mead, Cherry Wine

Bottled: Too many to list!

Old 08-12-2012, 12:02 AM   #99
acyl
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Nice!. Well I had 100lbs of berries and I pressed them all because I dont want to deal with pressing them after fermentation.

I now have 6 gallons of pure blueberry juice. How many batches can I make with this?

Old 08-15-2012, 06:07 PM   #100
paraordnance
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by acyl View Post
Nice!. Well I had 100lbs of berries and I pressed them all because I dont want to deal with pressing them after fermentation.

I now have 6 gallons of pure blueberry juice. How many batches can I make with this?
I made 11% ABV blueberry mead last year with 100% blueberry juice (Bremner's brand. Said on bottle "equivalent of 2.5 lbs of berries in each 1 qt bottle"). I used 2 quarts of said juice for 2 gal batch. Seems to be perfect ratio, its one of my best meads.
Looks like you can make approx. 25 gallons of mead. Lucky you

Quick Reply