Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Wild chokecherry wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2010, 02:43 PM   #41
xoltri
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Thanks for the quick response; I understand that much head space is not good but I wanted your advice before I acted. It is still fermenting at this point so I figured I had a day to await your response.

I guess my question is about the original recipe. I scaled it back for a 3 gallon recipe, but of course when I remove the fruit bag I'm not going to have 3 gallons anymore. I just didn't expect it to be this much short. So really the recipe for 3 gallons actually only gets you 2.25 gallons.

At this point I figure I'm at about 9L, so I'm about 2.3L short. I did the pearson's square calculation and if I used 100% water to top up I would end up with a 12% abv wine, which is not bad (undiluted it would be 15%). I think what I'll do is top up with 1.5L of bordailles rouge wine and the rest with water. That should be a good compromise.

I don't want to buy any more carboys; I make mostly kits and only did this recipe to fill the one 3 gallon carboy I have that I used to make a dessert wine kit with.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2011, 08:36 PM   #42
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

We just mixed up 15 gallons of this again a few days ago. We had 50 pounds of chokecherries in the freezer!

Old 07-07-2011, 11:40 PM   #43
Powers
Recipes 

hey yooper, how long do you recommend for bulk aging? i made a blend late last summer with some elderberries and wild grapes added to the chokecherries. since the elders and grapes are more tannic, does this need to push into a 2 year range? i racked today and tasted and it's good, but a bit of a tannic bite in the background. otherwise, lees are gone and it's quite nice looking

Old 07-08-2011, 02:31 AM   #44
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers View Post
hey yooper, how long do you recommend for bulk aging? i made a blend late last summer with some elderberries and wild grapes added to the chokecherries. since the elders and grapes are more tannic, does this need to push into a 2 year range? i racked today and tasted and it's good, but a bit of a tannic bite in the background. otherwise, lees are gone and it's quite nice looking
Yes, I'd say it would be about two years to reduce some of the tannic bite. The good news is that it would age very well, and probably be excellent in 5 years.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:53 PM   #45
Powers
Recipes 

ahhh, the wine hobby tests my patience. in february, i tasted this and it was almost undrinkable with a robitusin-like bitterness. that's really slipped away and the fruit is coming back, but it's clearly not there yet. i'll just forget about for another 6 months, then maybe oak it a bit and let it roll another year or more....thanks yooper!

Old 08-17-2011, 11:54 PM   #46
Wing Nut
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am all set to make this wine, I have 50lbs of cherries in the freezer all I have to do now is juice them. I have been searching for the red grape concentrate but I cant seem to find it anywhere localy. I could order it but I am not keen on waiting. Could I use a 5 gal wine kit? I was thinking of using a red like winexpert luna rosa or a pinot. Thoughts?

Old 08-18-2011, 12:03 AM   #47
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Nut View Post
I am all set to make this wine, I have 50lbs of cherries in the freezer all I have to do now is juice them. I have been searching for the red grape concentrate but I cant seem to find it anywhere localy. I could order it but I am not keen on waiting. Could I use a 5 gal wine kit? I was thinking of using a red like winexpert luna rosa or a pinot. Thoughts?
It's not even close to the same thing! The wine concentrate used to come in small bottles, but now this is all I can find: http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...oducts_id=2207

The idea you have is a good one, though and I think it would be great. But it seems like a "waste" of a good wine kit to water it down with chokecherries!

Old 08-18-2011, 12:07 AM   #48
Wing Nut
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That is the exact same one we have in town....I thought you ment five of those. Perhaps my us-metric conversions arent good enough. How would you use this in your version?

Old 08-18-2011, 02:38 AM   #49
Powers
Recipes 

just to supplement my post above, i added elderberries which carry more tannins and are contributing to the slow maturation of my wine. i don't think it would take as long for a pure chokecherry wine to come around.

wing nut, if you really don't want to wait, just buy some welch's grape concentrate and get after it...

Old 08-18-2011, 03:54 AM   #50
Grizz
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

hey do you guys know where the cheapest place to get the wine chemicals at? I found them cheap last year but I cant remember at all what site I ordered from.

Quick Reply