Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Wild chokecherry wine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2010, 10:58 PM   #21
Grizz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Hi I was wondering how the chokecherry wine will turn out without the grape concentrate? That is the only thing that is unavailible to me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2010, 12:13 AM   #22
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3863 Times on 2824 Posts
Likes Given: 646

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
Hi I was wondering how the chokecherry wine will turn out without the grape concentrate? That is the only thing that is unavailible to me.
It'll be ok! I made some without the concentrate. You can add a few more chokecherries (maybe 1/4 pound a gallon) and sugar to still reach the same OG. The resultant product will be a bit "thinner", that's all.

You could use some golden raisins, chopped up, instead if you want. That would be similar.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:46 PM   #23
Grizz
Recipes 

Thanks yooperbrew! I had a couple more questions, How long will the Cherries stay good for after picking? I dont think I have the freezer space to load them in there. Also do I have to use corks when I bottle, I saw you used 12oz bottles and was wondering if I could use the beer caps that I already have? One last thing, could you recommend a good place for me to get the wine additives online? Thanks again!

Old 08-22-2010, 10:00 PM   #24
Powers
Recipes 

the berries won't last long, i'd say not more than a few days if they are really ripe.

a good place for wine supplies online is http://www.midwestsupplies.com

Old 09-01-2010, 03:32 AM   #25
floyd336
Recipes 

This is another recipe that suggests multiple rackings. Doesn't each rack add O2 to the mix? Isn't that a bad thing once the alcohol is produced? What is the real deal with O2 and wine?

Old 09-01-2010, 03:34 AM   #26
floyd336
Recipes 

Another question. Do you find choke cherries to be similar to wild black cherries for wine making? A friend and I have picked a few pounds of them and are looking for a good recipe to make a gallon or two.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:24 PM   #27
Grizz
Recipes 

I am collecting enough berries today for a 6 gallon batch, only thing is I don't have a large mesh bag. I only got 2 smaller mesh bags that I use for grains and they wont hold enough fruit. Is it ok to extract the juice first in another container? I think the pulp from the fruit will still fit in the bags I got and I could throw them in the primary fermenter along with the juice. Is this a good idea or do you have any other suggestions? Thanks!

Old 09-01-2010, 03:59 PM   #28
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd336 View Post
This is another recipe that suggests multiple rackings. Doesn't each rack add O2 to the mix? Isn't that a bad thing once the alcohol is produced? What is the real deal with O2 and wine?
Well, you definitely don't want to aerate. I use campden tablets (one crushed per gallon) at every other racking to help avoid oxygenation. Multiple rackings are important to get the wine off of the lees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd336 View Post
Another question. Do you find choke cherries to be similar to wild black cherries for wine making? A friend and I have picked a few pounds of them and are looking for a good recipe to make a gallon or two.
Yes, chokecherries and black cherries are actually closely related. I use black cherries in this recipe along with the chokecherries often. I've never done 100% black cherries, but I'm sure it'll work fine. They might be a bit more tannic (can't remember) but it'll work anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
I am collecting enough berries today for a 6 gallon batch, only thing is I don't have a large mesh bag. I only got 2 smaller mesh bags that I use for grains and they wont hold enough fruit. Is it ok to extract the juice first in another container? I think the pulp from the fruit will still fit in the bags I got and I could throw them in the primary fermenter along with the juice. Is this a good idea or do you have any other suggestions? Thanks!
The reason I use the bags is because you ferment on the fruit for a while. I have a friend that has a steam extraction juicer and he juiced his chokecherries. It worked, but the wine was a little less full flavored, probably from not fermenting with the skins on.

Have you ever juiced chokecherries? They have a huge pit for the size of the fruit, so you may have some problems getting juice without breaking the seed. If you can do it, then it should work out ok.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:18 PM   #29
Grizz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperGrandma View Post

The reason I use the bags is because you ferment on the fruit for a while. I have a friend that has a steam extraction juicer and he juiced his chokecherries. It worked, but the wine was a little less full flavored, probably from not fermenting with the skins on.

Have you ever juiced chokecherries? They have a huge pit for the size of the fruit, so you may have some problems getting juice without breaking the seed. If you can do it, then it should work out ok.
I recently made about a gallon of chokecherry juice and I had to simmer the cherries for a bit while mashing up the cherries with a potato masher. It kinda worked but I had to hand sqeeze the rest through my grain bags and that worked out pretty good, no crushed seeds, just really messy. So I am planning to put the pulp and skins in the grain bag after I extract the juice so the skins can ferment in the primary also. One other thing, how clean does the proccess have to be? Should I use sanitizer on every single thing like when making beer? I noticed in the beggining I am supposed to cover the primary with a towel, just didn't seem to sanitary?

Old 09-01-2010, 07:20 PM   #30
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

I don't like cooking fruit for wine, so I've never done anything like you've done so I'm no help there!

Yes, you must sanitize everything that touches the wine. Everything. Always. The towel won't touch the wine, just cover the bucket to keep fruitflies out, so it's ok if it's simply clean. You can use a sanitized cover it it makes you feel more comfortable.

Quick Reply