Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Welch's Grape Juice Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2014, 06:12 PM   #791
LondoThePoet
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
A couple of reasons- first of all, it's very foamy and ferments hard. If you used an airlock, it'd be plugged up right away. Secondly, for most wines, the yeast and fermentation NEED oxygen. I stir all of my wines in primary, until they reach about 1.010-1.020 and then put them in secondary and airlock.

Make sure you don't fill to the top during primary- it'll make a mess and grape juice stains hardwood flooring. (ask me how I know!). After it slows down, you can top up and airlock it.
This is the problem I had with the Cherry Berry Mead recipe. The next morning after setting the airlock, I found it half way across the room, followed by strawberry slushy. That stains beige carpet, also. Next batch, I'll try the napkin trick.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 03:41 AM   #792
JoshWithrow
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondoThePoet View Post
This is the problem I had with the Cherry Berry Mead recipe. The next morning after setting the airlock, I found it half way across the room, followed by strawberry slushy. That stains beige carpet, also. Next batch, I'll try the napkin trick.
I've had the fermentation foam thru the airlocks, but never blow one off... now I'm having regrets lol. My job involves travel every week. I have this habit of starting (a) batch(s), and then leaving. Just like I did today. That said, I did put the 1 gallon demijohns inside buckets in case they go all Vesuvius on me, but I didn't set lids on top, so if they do actually, literally, blow the airlock off, The mess will still be a mess...

Sweet jeebus...

Old 04-08-2014, 05:17 AM   #793
crispbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a question about the difference using 100% grape juice not from concentrate? My local store sells some organic juice that is not from concentrate, its not cheap compared to welches but I'm wondering if it will be that much better? There are no preservatives in it either.. just 100% grape juice.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:54 PM   #794
Brewmex41
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispbrew View Post
I have a question about the difference using 100% grape juice not from concentrate? My local store sells some organic juice that is not from concentrate, its not cheap compared to welches but I'm wondering if it will be that much better? There are no preservatives in it either.. just 100% grape juice.
Should be better. I used organic grape juice from target. No preservatives, just 100% grape juice plus a can of 100% Apple juice concentrate

Old 04-09-2014, 02:05 PM   #795
trbig
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispbrew View Post
Betting you'll never be able to tell the difference. This is concord wine. You'll never get a $25 bottle out of any concord grapes, no matter the source. BUT... if you're the type that tries to only eat organic things, then by all means, spend the extra for it.

Try to be the person your dog thinks you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgr View Post
Sorry if I'm rambling. Vicodin, Flexeril, mead and rice wine are a nasty combination. I highly recommend it.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:52 PM   #796
EZmacncheese
Recipes 

This is my first go at making wine and I made two one gallon batches of this recipe on 4/8.

The first batch stayed true to the original recipe. I used EC-1118 yeast and it blasted through the paper towel and spewed sludge down the side of primary. Its blowing gas(CO2?) so hard that it's making a low level whistle. I think I'll have to pay attention as this as it slows down as to prevent infection.

The second batch doesn't seem to be doing as well. I also used EC-1118 yeast. I changed up the recipe by substituting Welchs Apple-Cherry concentrate for the grape juice and adding some tannin(1/4tsp I think). It is not fermenting as well. It showed maybe 5 mm of foam at the top within 24 hrs but that has gone down. Should I be worried? Should I add more yeast nutrient? Why did the grape juice ferment so vigorously and the Apple-Cherry did not?

EDIT: I checked the Appple-Cherry juice and it did not have any preservatives.

I am a total newb at wine so I'm just trying to learn.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:17 PM   #797
JoshWithrow
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZmacncheese View Post
Its blowing gas(CO2?) so hard that it's making a low level whistle.
I wish I had something more constructive to say, but I don't. But that sounds awesome lol!

Old 04-10-2014, 05:09 PM   #798
Kamerdracy
Recipes 

I just started my gallon of Welch's frozen concentrate. I used 4 cans and no added sugar. After filling the rest of the one gallon jug's empty space with water SG was right at 1.090. Have anyone tried this before? Do you think it will turn out OK?

Old 04-12-2014, 12:38 PM   #799
trbig
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZmacncheese View Post
This is my first go at making wine and I made two one gallon batches of this recipe on 4/8.

The first batch stayed true to the original recipe. I used EC-1118 yeast and it blasted through the paper towel and spewed sludge down the side of primary. Its blowing gas(CO2?) so hard that it's making a low level whistle. I think I'll have to pay attention as this as it slows down as to prevent infection.

The second batch doesn't seem to be doing as well. I also used EC-1118 yeast. I changed up the recipe by substituting Welchs Apple-Cherry concentrate for the grape juice and adding some tannin(1/4tsp I think). It is not fermenting as well. It showed maybe 5 mm of foam at the top within 24 hrs but that has gone down. Should I be worried? Should I add more yeast nutrient? Why did the grape juice ferment so vigorously and the Apple-Cherry did not?

EDIT: I checked the Appple-Cherry juice and it did not have any preservatives.

I am a total newb at wine so I'm just trying to learn.

1118 yeast is pretty much the "Kick a$$ and take no prisoners" in the world of yeasts, so I wouldn't be too concerned. Like most things in brewing... Patience Grasshopper! : )

Try to be the person your dog thinks you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgr View Post
Sorry if I'm rambling. Vicodin, Flexeril, mead and rice wine are a nasty combination. I highly recommend it.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:34 AM   #800
YOPPER2
Recipes 

does anyone have a recipe for dandelion wine, one gallon at a time?

Quick Reply