Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Welch's Grape Juice Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2013, 12:17 PM   #691
Sevenal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Mine have been sweet and drinkable in 30 days

I'm not sure about sour and letting it sit for 6 months?
I have had wines come out really green tasting from grapes that may have been too green.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2013, 10:30 PM   #692
toadbugger
Recipes 

I made about three batches using 2 cans of frozen concentrate per gallon with various others fruit flavors. These finally mellowed out after about 6 months but were thin or flavor weak. I made 2 batches using 4 cans of frozen concentrate back in May. These have sort of got a brownish look to them and turned out very tart. The one that had pomegranate juice in it is actually pretty bitter now in November. Probably going to dump these two batches, bottling seems like a waste of time. The best results so far using welches concentrate is a batch using 6 pounds of black concord grapes with 1 can of welches concord concentrate. I caught the grapes on sale for 97 cents a pound. The other batch that is showing promise is a single can of frozen concord concentrate with a bout 4 pounds of muscadines. These last two batches are only at three months in and are are 1 gallon batches. They need to wait until February, or March I'm guessing. I have about 4 pounds of blueberries and a pound of blackberries, so I'll probably use them next with 1 can of frozen concord as a base. My take so far on the "straight up" welches isn't good, but is seems to work out fine using the welches as a base to the other fruits.

Been buying a lot of Taylor's Sangria, Stonehaus Davenport which is a foxy concord, and Carlo Rossi like it was kool aid.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:09 PM   #693
winemaker1
Recipes 

I'm getting ready to bottle my Welch's Wine after 2 months. Quick question- to stabilize this, I could just put in a Campden tablet right? Crush, stir in, wait a few days and then bottle? Thank you so much, I'm looking forward to tasting this.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:42 PM   #694
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4469 Times on 3252 Posts
Likes Given: 869

Quote:
Originally Posted by winemaker1 View Post
I'm getting ready to bottle my Welch's Wine after 2 months. Quick question- to stabilize this, I could just put in a Campden tablet right? Crush, stir in, wait a few days and then bottle? Thank you so much, I'm looking forward to tasting this.
If you're going to be sweetening the wine, you'll want to use sorbate. Campden is a great antioxidant and preservative, but won't stop fermentation.

Normally, you'd rack to a new vessel (off of the lees) onto the crushed/dissolved campden tablet (and sorbate if using).

Old 11-20-2013, 05:10 PM   #695
winemaker1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
If you're going to be sweetening the wine, you'll want to use sorbate. Campden is a great antioxidant and preservative, but won't stop fermentation.

Normally, you'd rack to a new vessel (off of the lees) onto the crushed/dissolved campden tablet (and sorbate if using).
So if I don't sweeten it, I just rack into another carboy that has Campden in it and then should I wait a few days before bottling or just 24 hours?

Old 11-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #696
SPR-GRN
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 15

yoop - I'm giving a similar version of this a try tonight - 3 gallon batch, 6 cans concentrate, 4lbs sugar, 3tsp pectic, 3tsp acid blen, 3tsp dap, motrachet yeast.

might try to oak some for the experimentation, but with my slackerish nature I'll probably just bottle it and drink it as is.

Primary: Skeeter Pee
Secondary: "Not a Chardonnay", Malbec
On Tap: Pale Ale, Brown, Marzen
Next batch(es): Cider, dirty blonde

Updated: 8-21-2014

Yooper Likes This 
Old 12-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #697
rorymcg
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
As far as leaving out the pectic enzyme, that should be ok it just might not clear as fast.
What does the pectic enzyme actually do? I've read its a good addition when using juice concentrates, but still not sure what it is specifically for. It helps with clearing quickly? I made a batch last night, but didn't have any pectic enzyme. I also held off on the acid blend for now, but do have tartaric acid at home - would this be a okay to use as I believe acid blend contains a certain % of tartaric acid... And I used some DAP for the yeast nutrient.

Primary: DF Head IBA & KT
Secondary: RIS, Skeeter Pee, Viking Blood Meat Mead, & Pinot Noir
Bottle Conditioning: JAOM, KT, & Chilean Cabarnet Sauvignon
Kegged: Caramel Vanilla Cream Ale
Drinking: Welch's Grape Juice Wine, German Apfelwein, Oatmeal Stout, Caramel Amber Ale, Citrus IPA, & Belgian Tripel

Old 12-03-2013, 06:35 PM   #698
Brewer_Jonathan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Pectic enzymes helps to break down the fruit's fiber or pulp. This allows more flavor and color to be extracted from whatever fruit is being used during the fermentation. It helps to make sure the wine has a clearer, more translucent, appearance after the fermentation has completed and the wine has had ample time to clear up.

Using perctic enzymes will help eliminate pectic haze.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #699
Brewer_Jonathan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm starting a white grape/peach gallon tonight. I'll give updates as I go. I make quite a bit of wine and random booze now. This is as straightforward and easy as it gets. Follow the recipe and you will get wine.

Cheers

Old 12-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #700
rorymcg
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewer_Jonathan View Post
Pectic enzymes helps to break down the fruit's fiber or pulp. This allows more flavor and color to be extracted from whatever fruit is being used during the fermentation. It helps to make sure the wine has a clearer, more translucent, appearance after the fermentation has completed and the wine has had ample time to clear up.

Using perctic enzymes will help eliminate pectic haze.
Hmm interesting, thanks for the food for thought. I might try this with my next batch.

Primary: DF Head IBA & KT
Secondary: RIS, Skeeter Pee, Viking Blood Meat Mead, & Pinot Noir
Bottle Conditioning: JAOM, KT, & Chilean Cabarnet Sauvignon
Kegged: Caramel Vanilla Cream Ale
Drinking: Welch's Grape Juice Wine, German Apfelwein, Oatmeal Stout, Caramel Amber Ale, Citrus IPA, & Belgian Tripel

Quick Reply