Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Welch's Grape Juice Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2013, 04:40 PM   #581
wyoast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewDaddyJoe View Post
Last night I tried a bottle after 60 days. Wow! It was sooo much better then at the 30 day mark. A little age gave this recipe a big boost.
I just racked again and added some clearing agent... I only used 1 tsp of acid blend but the wine still seems really tart.. Did you see that "tartness" mellow out a bit from the 30-60 day samples?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2013, 03:12 PM   #582
wyoast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

bottled this yesterday.. I stabilized for a few days then added 3oz of sterilized sugar water to backsweeten..after chilling all night, this wine is pretty darn good for concentrate...thanks Yooper! Very subtle alchohol bite this young but a few months in the bottle and I think this wine will be very good.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:55 AM   #583
webfoot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I wish some of this stuff would last long enough to age. I have made about 40 gal of it and it never lasts longer than 3 months in the bottle.

Every penny I earn brings Me one step closer to My goal of world domination.

http://www.oregonmicrofarm.com/

Old 05-03-2013, 03:49 AM   #584
wyoast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Wow 40g is alot! I like it a heck of a lot better than the raspberry merlot kit I did a few months ago..and it was about 50 bucks cheaper.. it had a crazy tartness to it before I backsweetened it..but 3oz was just enough to get rid of that and not make it "sweet"

Old 05-08-2013, 03:53 AM   #585
toadbugger
Recipes 

I've tried about 3-1gal batches of this recipe in various versions of additional fruit, but they all seem flavor weak, and yeasty, not to mention the essence of rubber bung. I've re-racked to secondary twice do I just let it sit longer? Stir more to Degas? Anybody got thoughts? Feel like I've read everything in here.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #586
LoneTreeFarms
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadbugger View Post
I've tried about 3-1gal batches of this recipe in various versions of additional fruit, but they all seem flavor weak, and yeasty, not to mention the essence of rubber bung. I've re-racked to secondary twice do I just let it sit longer? Stir more to Degas? Anybody got thoughts? Feel like I've read everything in here.
i need some more details, when did you brew it, how many cans per gallon did you use? have you stabilized and backsweetened? some batches benefit from using concentrate to backsweeten.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:22 PM   #587
StoutLover
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I have a rookie question. I'm ready to rack to my secondary and top off. Due to miscalculating my starting ingredients, I ended up with more than I planned, so I've got a 6.5 gallon carboy and two one gallon bottles fermenting.

On to my question: I used a different type of wine yeast for the 1 gal batches than I did in the large carboy. I think I'm going to need to add more than a gallon to top off the big carboy when racking into the secondary...can I top off from one of the one gallon jugs instead of using water?

BTW, I sampled a bit last night, and I've got to say it's already good. Strong alcohol bite, but pretty frickin' good.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #588
philber
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by webfoot View Post
I wish some of this stuff would last long enough to age. I have made about 40 gal of it and it never lasts longer than 3 months in the bottle.
I made a gallon in Feb 2012 from this post. Bottled to 3 1L bottles. I tried the first bottle after 1 month of aging. It tasted like grape juice, but it had a kick and it was cloudy. I just found the second and third bottles in the basement last week, they were clear and inviting me to try them I will crack one open in the next few weeks since it is at the one year bottled stage.

I really need to try this again, one of my goofs is that I don't think I put in enough water so I remember my OG was high. Silly me, noob winemaker, didn't know to just add more water.

Fermenting: Golden Ale, APA
Kegged: Kolsh, Coal Porter, Sweet Stout, Seltzer Water

History: Irish Red, Brown Ale, Czech Plsner, Boddingtons, Saizon Dupont, American Amber, Hefe 2-Row, Cream Ale, SWMBO Slayer, BMC, Midwest Porter Kit, Irish Stout, Coal Porter, Miller Lite, Nut Brown Ale, IPA

Old 05-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #589
LoneTreeFarms
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoutLover View Post
I have a rookie question. I'm ready to rack to my secondary and top off. Due to miscalculating my starting ingredients, I ended up with more than I planned, so I've got a 6.5 gallon carboy and two one gallon bottles fermenting.

On to my question: I used a different type of wine yeast for the 1 gal batches than I did in the large carboy. I think I'm going to need to add more than a gallon to top off the big carboy when racking into the secondary...can I top off from one of the one gallon jugs instead of using water?

BTW, I sampled a bit last night, and I've got to say it's already good. Strong alcohol bite, but pretty frickin' good.
yes you should be fine to add one of the wines to top up even though you used a different yeast, they may taste slightly different but what you are essentially doing is blending.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:41 PM   #590
StoutLover
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneTreeFarms View Post
yes you should be fine to add one of the wines to top up even though you used a different yeast, they may taste slightly different but what you are essentially doing is blending.
Excellent, I suspected it'd be alright. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply