Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Welch's Grape Juice Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2013, 05:14 PM   #571
BrewDaddyJoe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Last night I tried a bottle after 60 days. Wow! It was sooo much better then at the 30 day mark. A little age gave this recipe a big boost.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #572
wyoast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default conversion question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Welch's Frozen Grape Juice Wine
2 cans (11.5 oz) Welch's 100% frozen grape concentrate
1-1/4 lbs granulated sugar
2 tsp acid blend
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
water to make 1 gallon
wine yeast

Edit- note! You may want to skip the acid blend, at least at first, as some results say this wine is too "tart".

Bring 1 quart water to boil and dissolve the sugar in the water. Remove from heat and add frozen concentrate. Add additional water to make one gallon and pour into secondary. Add remaining ingredients except yeast. Cover with napkin fastened with rubber band and set aside 12 hours. Add activated wine yeast and recover with napkin. When active fermentation slows down (about 5 days), fit airlock. When clear, rack, top up and refit airlock. After additional 30 days, stabilize, sweeten if desired and rack into bottles.
Hey Yooper, I'm just breaking into the wine making and I brew beer quite a bit.. If I were to use corn sugar instead of table sugar in this recipe would it benefit me at all or will the wine yeast even eat it??

Thanks!

Old 03-21-2013, 02:17 AM   #573
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4786 Times on 3481 Posts
Likes Given: 956

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoast View Post
Hey Yooper, I'm just breaking into the wine making and I brew beer quite a bit.. If I were to use corn sugar instead of table sugar in this recipe would it benefit me at all or will the wine yeast even eat it??

Thanks!
Yes, it would be interchangeable with table sugar so if you have corn sugar it can be used.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:19 PM   #574
Hulud
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If I scale to 2.5g do I need to add more enzyme or nutrient as opposed to the original recipe?

Old 04-03-2013, 01:04 AM   #575
thejudge
Recipes 

Made it to page 18 and couldn't find my answer, please forgive but my heads about to explode if I keep going through the replies 😜lol.

I want to try oaking this. I have a 1gal batch and want to know about how much oak(and what kind would be best) should I use and for how long in my secondary?

Old 04-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #576
Jimbob904
Recipes 

Just a quick question, has anyone here tried wyeast 4783? SWMBO and I like liebfraumilch, and would like something other than a $80 kit. If the wyeastperforms well, it doesn't need to be spot on.

Thanks!

Old 04-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #577
wyoast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewDaddyJoe View Post
Last night I tried a bottle after 60 days. Wow! It was sooo much better then at the 30 day mark. A little age gave this recipe a big boost.
60 days from the start? or 60 in the bottle?

Old 04-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #578
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4786 Times on 3481 Posts
Likes Given: 956

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejudge View Post
Made it to page 18 and couldn't find my answer, please forgive but my heads about to explode if I keep going through the replies 😜lol.

I want to try oaking this. I have a 1gal batch and want to know about how much oak(and what kind would be best) should I use and for how long in my secondary?
Medium American oak is good, and so is the French oak. The American oak is a little stronger tasting. I generally use about 2 ounces of oak in 5 gallons, so you won't need much at all in a 1 gallon batch. Start with a little, and taste it after two weeks. When it's just a tad bit too much, then it's oaked enough and should be racked off of the oak.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #579
thejudge
Recipes 

Awesome I was going to try the French oak too. Ty!

Old 04-16-2013, 11:43 PM   #580
Kdog22
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Yooper,

First off, thank you and other posters for creating a great thread filled with excellent questions and answers. I've never done any wines other than from fruit juice concentrate. I started doing them with a gallon water jug, welches 100% concentrate, bread yeast and of course, sugar, with a ballon taped over the top with needle holes poked in it. That's how my old "redneck" boss taught me how to do it. lol

People really under estimate how tastey of a wine those basic ingredients can create. White grape peach and white grape raspberry seem to be everyone's favorites. I've recently got back into this hobby a bit more seriously and ordered a bunch of supplies like REAL airlocks, wine yeasts, nutrients, etc.

I've begun putting together a number of 1 gallon test batches using my newly acquired wine specific yeast and tools. This weekend will be some mead test batches but that's off topic.

Anyways, I just joined the forum to show my appreciation for everyone's shared knowledge here and to provide a few notes of my own that i've learned over the years.

-Never warm your water in the microwave when trying to hydrate yeast in "warm" water. It's easy to get entirely too hot and killing your yeast. You don't know it's dead until everything is put together and a few days later you're wondering why your must won't ferment.. Most yeasts seem to hydrate just fine in warm water from the sink. (In my experiences)

-Regular purple grage Welches concentrate tends to produce a strong almost too tart of a flavor when using 3 cans to a gallon. But it's still very drinkable, IMO.

-White grape peach and white grape raspberry tend to come out perfect when done with 3 cans to a gallon.

-My rule of thumb has always been (2) cans of water added to the fermentation jug per each can of concentrate. So 3 cans = 6 cans of water per gallon. Seems to work great and leaves a good headspace at the top.

-Don't be afraid to give something a try. It may be easier than you think.

Thanks again to everybody for posting their recipes! I have a handful to try out, now. haha

Quick Reply