Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Welch's Grape Juice Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2012, 06:21 PM   #511
aryoung1980
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterDonkey
What are you guys getting for your OG normally? I tried super hard to get it to 1.100 once but in a 5 gallon batch of 10 juice contained and 8 lbs of sugar I got up to 1.080 and just couldn't bring myself to add anything more.
My OG was 1.084 in a 3 gallon batch. I took a reading today and it dropped to 1.011 after 5 weeks. It tastes really good in the semisweet range so I may bottle soon and pitch a new batch on my yeast cake.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2012, 05:42 AM   #512
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 45

props ta yoop! tried my raspberry apple tonight and it's delicious.. didn't add the acid blend thinking the raspberry was tart enough and it turned out beautifully.. very cloying on the effects because I'm done after 1 12oz bottle and it's my friday tonight... I can only see the taste improving with a little more time.. I'm 4 months in and it's good but think it's gonna be great in another 4, if it lasts that long that is.

Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

Old 08-23-2012, 10:45 PM   #513
jimbobminogue
Recipes 

Not completely sure where to post this question but this was the best place I could find without spending hours searching the site. On a random bored night I stumbled upon a youtube video of a college student making "homemade booze" All he used was a 2L jug of generic fruit juice, 3 cups of sugar, and 20g of brewers yeast. Tossed on an airlock and in 3 days had drinkable alcohol. I then did a few hours of google research (learned an amazing amount of stuff about yeast) and realized that a basic alcohol is really just sugar, water and yeast with/or with out any additional flavoring. I found lots of people even making low grade alcohol with plain old bread yeast. Being a fairly cheap and resourceful individual I thought I would give it a go. I have a few batches fermenting right now ( 7 to be exact). I think the first 3 will be a big fail because at the time all I had was bread yeast and table sugar. The next 4 I tried consisted of frozen juice concentrate, dextrose, brewers yeast and water. I guess in the end my question is has any else ever made anything like this? If so, any tips trick and recipes would be awsome thanks

Old 08-31-2012, 02:51 AM   #514
voates
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobminogue View Post
Not completely sure where to post this question but this was the best place I could find without spending hours searching the site. On a random bored night I stumbled upon a youtube video of a college student making "homemade booze" All he used was a 2L jug of generic fruit juice, 3 cups of sugar, and 20g of brewers yeast. Tossed on an airlock and in 3 days had drinkable alcohol. I then did a few hours of google research (learned an amazing amount of stuff about yeast) and realized that a basic alcohol is really just sugar, water and yeast with/or with out any additional flavoring. I found lots of people even making low grade alcohol with plain old bread yeast. Being a fairly cheap and resourceful individual I thought I would give it a go. I have a few batches fermenting right now ( 7 to be exact). I think the first 3 will be a big fail because at the time all I had was bread yeast and table sugar. The next 4 I tried consisted of frozen juice concentrate, dextrose, brewers yeast and water. I guess in the end my question is has any else ever made anything like this? If so, any tips trick and recipes would be awsome thanks
Hell yeah, that was the first kind of alcohol I ever made. Maybe I even saw that same college kid on youtube making booze. But yeah, my first was water, sugar, bread yeast. Tasted horrible, mixed it with lemonade mix and still tasted horrible, but I still drank it. It was really cool to me, being 18 at the time: The whole balloon expanding, the novelty of making alcohol, and the best was hiding the stuff under my sink from my parents lol.

But now I'm 23, I can get alcohol, but I think it's more fun to make it and show off to friends.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #515
jagec
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A50SNAKE View Post
I'm just curious what most folks are doing when their batches are finished...sweetening or not sweetening this recipe?...just finished my first two (one white & one concord).
I find that the red just doesn't have a lot of body when it's done fermenting. My yeast usually chew it down to 0.990, and by then it is clearly wine, but thin-tasting. I've been adding one tsp/gal of acid blend to bring up the tartness and make it taste less thin, but then the predominant flavor is "tart". I've found that including the acid blend to keep the tartness, but backsweetening slightly (to 1.000 for me) brings out the fruitiness of the Concord and balances the tartness nicely.

My clarity still isn't very good, though; I might have to start adding bentonite and the like. Time to start another batch...

Old 10-12-2012, 12:39 AM   #516
Ply318ci
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I just made this (one gallon batch) and only using the 100% Welch's grape juice and the juice by its self had a OG of 1.062. It only took 7oz of sugar to get a OG of 1.088-1.090 (the juice foamed up a little and I couldn't quit tell). So just a warning if you use the straight juice a whole 1.25lbs of sugar might be to much. Also since I am not using the pectin enzyme I just added the yeast right away and I added it dry (Red Star Champagne Yeast) this should be ok right? Thanks.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #517
Ply318ci
Recipes 

I got a another question since this is my first wine ever. I took a hydro reading this morning to see if any fermentation took place and I guess the sugar wasn't dissolved last night when I took my first reading of 1.088. It is now sitting at 1.100. There where a lot of bubbles in the hydro sample but is it normal for the reading to go up like that or did I just make rocket fuel on accident by not dissolving the sugar all the way and adding to much thanks.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:04 PM   #518
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ply318ci View Post
I got a another question since this is my first wine ever. I took a hydro reading this morning to see if any fermentation took place and I guess the sugar wasn't dissolved last night when I took my first reading of 1.088. It is now sitting at 1.100. There where a lot of bubbles in the hydro sample but is it normal for the reading to go up like that or did I just make rocket fuel on accident by not dissolving the sugar all the way and adding to much thanks.
Well i cannot tell you if you made rocket fuel but, I can tell you it is important in the future to make sure the sugar is fully dissolved. Not for anything more than to get proper readings etc... the yeast once fermentation is in full swing will take care of mixing it up really good but now your readings are off. I would reccomend if you have software like beersmith or promash to enter the recipe in it with the ingredients and quantities you used and see what it tells you for your OG and assume it is pretty darn close. You can also then calculate your FG based on your yeast attenuation and if you used a champagne yeast it will probably finish at .998 or so. If you don' have software let me know and I'll be happy to input it for you and let you know what to roughly expect.
Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Old 10-12-2012, 02:18 PM   #519
Ply318ci
Recipes 

That helps a lot I have beer smith but I am not sure how to use it with grape juice. I have 3L of grape juice at 1.062 and 7oz of sugar if that will help. Thanks again. I can add water to dilute it down of that will help. I miss typed last post the new gravity was 1.110 not 1.100 thanks.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #520
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

that actually seems awful high according to beersmith 3 liters or 6.75 lbs of grape juice with only 7 oz of dextrose should only be around 1.060 so your original reading was much closer to what I am seeing on beersmith. Maybe someone else might be able to chime in on this one.

Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Quick Reply