Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Welch's Grape Juice Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2012, 02:49 AM   #481
A50SNAKE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 97

so I just checked my two 1G batches, my concord/red is <1.000 (a bit but not allot) and my white is 1.030 :O !!! that's weird eh? now I know I think it was the one that had the "extra nasties" in it though...started them both the same time, say roughly Feb 25th. this was my first reading since moving them from the primary to the glass 1G carboys...I'll check them again on wednesday. I'm hoping my white is dropping, just maybe slowly... ...also, lots and lots of little bubbles rising to the top as well...I'm trying to get it degassed as much as possible, but perhaps they are still working...any help would be great...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 01:57 AM   #482
A50SNAKE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

hey Yooper, wondering if you can let me know your thoughts on my first two batches please and thanks?

Old 04-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #483
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4635 Times on 3366 Posts
Likes Given: 909

The red sounds fine, hopefully the wine keeps going. If not, you may have to add more yeast and make a yeast starter to get it going.

A50SNAKE Likes This 
Old 04-26-2012, 10:26 PM   #484
A50SNAKE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
The red sounds fine, hopefully the wine keeps going. If not, you may have to add more yeast and make a yeast starter to get it going.
ok, sounds good thanks for the help once again my lady...oh, and soo sorry about the wings ...... as a tried and true leafs fan, I'll share with you our motto...."there's always next year"...hahaha...

I worked in Detroit for a few years off and on and I got to see a couple Red Wings games, and I saw a michigan-michigan state game there from a box too, very nice place to watch a game....from what I remember, LOL...

Old 04-26-2012, 11:27 PM   #485
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 54

are there any drawbacks from using yeast energizer? i added 1tsp grape tannin, 1tsp yeast energizer and 5 tsp yeast neutrient to my 5 gal batch. i havn't seen a froth on a wine so crazy after a week of fermentation and it shows no sign of stopping yet

Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

Old 04-27-2012, 10:21 PM   #486
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4635 Times on 3366 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmanster View Post
are there any drawbacks from using yeast energizer?
None that I'm aware of!

Old 04-28-2012, 03:02 PM   #487
ButterDonkey
Recipes 

Just wanted to say thanks. I have had nothing but good things said about this as more of a sweet wine. I tweaked the ingredients and have started a few experiments. Using white and concord mixes at different levels. What are you guys getting for your OG normally? I tried super hard to get it to 1.100 once but in a 5 gallon batch of 10 juice contained and 8 lbs of sugar I got up to 1.080 and just couldn't bring myself to add anything more. All in all as a summer wine this one is my favourite, and super cheap which also helps haha so thanks.

image-319680155.jpg  

Old 05-09-2012, 06:20 AM   #488
Jajosk
Recipes 

Default Racking to be delayed?

I have followed Yopper's recipe with Welch's white grape juice concentrate. This coming Sunday it will reach 28 days. The bubbling seems to be only say 40% of the peak (happened some 2-3 days after I added some DAP yeast energizer). Should I wait longer so that the bubbling falls to barely existent, or should I transfer to the secondary after 30 days as Yopper's recipe calls for?

Old 05-09-2012, 06:35 AM   #489
Jajosk
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmanster View Post
are there any drawbacks from using yeast energizer? i added 1tsp grape tannin, 1tsp yeast energizer and 5 tsp yeast neutrient to my 5 gal batch. i havn't seen a froth on a wine so crazy after a week of fermentation and it shows no sign of stopping yet
I had an identical experience having added the energizer a week after starting the fermentation with just yeast, juice, sugar and water

Old 05-09-2012, 11:41 AM   #490
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jajosk

I had an identical experience having added the energizer a week after starting the fermentation with just yeast, juice, sugar and water
I added mine at the start.. They were going very strong for 8 days and then stopped quick.. They're done and completely dry and clearing up beautifully.. Don't think I will need anything to help them clear, idk maybe a little cold crash at kegging..
Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

Quick Reply