Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Welch's Grape Juice Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2012, 03:47 AM   #431
StormBird
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Me Too!!!!!!!!!

Ok. I've read enough posts.. I just had to try this.

2.5 lbs sugar
3 11.5 cans of welches white grape juice
2 11.5 cans of welches white grape with peach
2 tsp acid blend
2 tsp pectic enzyme
2 tsp bentonite - for clearing

Local home brew shop recommended Red Star Montrachet yeast so it would have a little sweetness left for the peach.

Topped off with water until sg was 1.095. total volume about 2.5 gallons

Put it all together and relized that I FORGOT TO BUY the yeast nutrient.

So pulled out the cheap and ez stir plate. Pitched the yeast into about 1.5 liters of must and stirred it for about 5 hours. About 20 minutes after I pulled the starter off the plate it was starting to bubble up so I pitched it.

So, did I forget anything or mess it up?

We'll see... Thanks for all the great information!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2012, 06:55 AM   #432
dougen
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

anybody ever try more than four 11.5 cans( have made many with 4 ) just wondering.. like a port very sweet and a meal...next was thinking about using 5 - 6 cans per gallon any thoughts

keep em cuming every ten minutes or just give me the bottle

Old 03-03-2012, 08:27 PM   #433
Sammyk
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I read all 44 pages here!

I plant to use frozen concentrate white grape/peach and white grape/raspberry (2 different kinds for 2 different wines)

I will make 2 gallons of each in primary buckets and transfer to 1 gallon carboys to age.

One thing is not clear, is adding oak. I saw the question several times but not clear if there was an answer. If so, should I add it to both or just the white grape/peach?

I plan to freeze golden raisins and chop should it be added to both wines? Are raisins a good idea for both varieties? I prefer to use a mesh bag in the primary buckets.

Finally I have both K1-v116 and 71B-122 and plan to split the packet between each 2 gallons ( in 2 different buckets). Is one better of those yeasts better then the other. I will be starting both at the same time so should not be a problem adding 1/2 a packet to each bucket.

Any more tips anyone would care to share?

Old 03-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #434
Sammyk
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Can anyone answer my questions above, please?

Old 03-04-2012, 11:51 PM   #435
Rowdy
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would make them as original recipe goes use your 2 gallon buckets to primary one gallon batches then rack to gallon carboys to finish. Don't mess with oak and raisins till he next batch. And make it to taste. I make all mine as described above and split pack of red star permier cuvee in each batch always making 2 batches at a time.

Cruiscín Lán Grúdlann
In wine there is wisdom, In beer there is freedom, In water there is bacteria.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:03 AM   #436
Sammyk
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I started them both today. I used 6 cans of white grape/peach and in the other 6 cans of white grape/raspberry in buckets. Water to a little over 2 gallons per bucket.

I brought the SG up to 1.080. I did add a handful of golden raisins to each in a nylon stocking I sterilized.

Added pectic enzyme and yeast nutrient. Will add energizer in the morning and hydrate the 71B-122 and split it between the 2 buckets.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:36 AM   #437
Rowdy
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sounds good keep us updated

Cruiscín Lán Grúdlann
In wine there is wisdom, In beer there is freedom, In water there is bacteria.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #438
feffer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammyk View Post
I started them both today. I used 6 cans of white grape/peach and in the other 6 cans of white grape/raspberry in buckets. Water to a little over 2 gallons per bucket.

I brought the SG up to 1.080. I did add a handful of golden raisins to each in a nylon stocking I sterilized.

Added pectic enzyme and yeast nutrient. Will add energizer in the morning and hydrate the 71B-122 and split it between the 2 buckets.
It sounds like your recipe should turn out well. The raisins are probably not necessary. I've done that before, but boiled and chopped them first. I'm not sure they really added "body" or flavor though. Just my opinion.

I have a 5 gal primary of white-grape raspberry going now using 13 cans of frozen Welch's juice -- so a little less than 3 cans per gallon. I also used bentonite at the start. I used Montrachet yeast and about 6 lbs of sugar -- enough to bring the SG to 1.095. At an SG of 1.000 or less, I'll rack it to a secondary, let it sit for about a month and rack it again. The SG should end below .998, and then I'll stabilize and back-sweeten slightly.

I've made this before, but with only 2 cans per gallon and I think some back-sweetening is necessary to bring out the fruit flavors. Anyway, my opinion. Also, with my first batch, I blended some brandy two weeks after stabilization. Enough to bring the ABV to about 17%. Not a true Port, but it turned out very nice as an after dinner wine. I'll probably do the same thing with this larger batch, as the first one was popular.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:24 AM   #439
Mr_Shinkai
Recipes 

Mine is mildly carbonated, just the way I wanted, and my fiance and I just opened a bottle and enjoyed it! I used Lalvin EC-1118 yeast (champagne), and it's not too dry, not too sweet. Nice and balanced champagne! Time for another glass!

Old 03-12-2012, 09:58 PM   #440
Schmoogdaddy
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

I back sweetened and bottled my 6 gallon batch yesterday. I really like this stuff. I will probably try white grape next.

Thanks, Yooper for all this information.

Quick Reply