Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Welch's Grape Juice Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #421
Sirthomas42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I hate beer (I know, strike 1 against my man card), so I make Apfelwein and Skeeter Pee to satisfy my quick-turnaround needs :-)

Pendergrast Family Wines: Bottling in memory of Thomas and Glennadene Miller

Primary: Spiced Apfelwein, Banana, Habanero Mead, Mango Wine, White grape-Raspberry

Secondary: Apfelwein, Choco-cherry Mead, Plum Mead, Blueberry-Vanilla Mead, Mixed berry wine+mead, Cherry Wine

Bottled: Too many to list!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #422
Mr_Shinkai
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirthomas42
I hate beer (I know, strike 1 against my man card), so I make Apfelwein and Skeeter Pee to satisfy my quick-turnaround needs :-)
I'm not a big beer drinker, but I just got into homebrew myself, and so far, I've enjoyed making couple of ciders, and I even made a hard lemonade and I'm working on a red and a white champagne. No strike against your man card.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #423
stujol
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirthomas42 View Post
I overcame my lack of patience for this hobby by slowly buying more and more gear. After a year of this, I'm up to 15 5 gallon batches going simultaneously! Even though some will take 6-12 months to finish, I've always got a batch or two finishing in a given month
lol same here. Been at this hobby for a year now and just bought my 25th carboy this last weekend. Turns out 5 gallons of wine isn't all that much lol.
I've taken over half the basement with them.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:36 PM   #424
mcbethenstein
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ok, now that I've read the whole tread, I have a few questions.
1. Does the water you use matter? Should it be RO/filtered, spring, or other?
2. How did the batches with more concentrate and less sugar turn out?
My aim is to produce something similar to apothic red, big stuff red, etc. which are all soft dry red blends.... Only I have too much money invested in brewing and mead right now, so I want to do this least expensive as possible.
I'll be making a 3 gal batch. Was thinking 8 cans concentrate, 1/4 tsp tannin, then after fermenting out adding a few light toasted oak chips, and a handful of raisins. No acid blend, and maybe even correcting with calcium carbonate if too acidic and tart. Not sure about how much sugar to add yet. My aim would be about a 13% abv wine.
3. What is the best yeast for this wine? I have access to red star, lalvin, & lallemand.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:27 PM   #425
chevs15
Recipes 

What is the best yeast to use? I have some Lalvin K1-V1116. Would that work?

Thanks!

Old 02-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #426
Sirthomas42
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I use the 71B-1122 for this, though I think the K1V would work.

Pendergrast Family Wines: Bottling in memory of Thomas and Glennadene Miller

Primary: Spiced Apfelwein, Banana, Habanero Mead, Mango Wine, White grape-Raspberry

Secondary: Apfelwein, Choco-cherry Mead, Plum Mead, Blueberry-Vanilla Mead, Mixed berry wine+mead, Cherry Wine

Bottled: Too many to list!

Old 02-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #427
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbethenstein View Post
Ok, now that I've read the whole tread, I have a few questions.
1. Does the water you use matter? Should it be RO/filtered, spring, or other?
2. How did the batches with more concentrate and less sugar turn out?
My aim is to produce something similar to apothic red, big stuff red, etc. which are all soft dry red blends.... Only I have too much money invested in brewing and mead right now, so I want to do this least expensive as possible.
I'll be making a 3 gal batch. Was thinking 8 cans concentrate, 1/4 tsp tannin, then after fermenting out adding a few light toasted oak chips, and a handful of raisins. No acid blend, and maybe even correcting with calcium carbonate if too acidic and tart. Not sure about how much sugar to add yet. My aim would be about a 13% abv wine.
3. What is the best yeast for this wine? I have access to red star, lalvin, & lallemand.
1. If the water tastes great that's all you need.
2. I haven't done that. Concord grape juice isn't really going to give a big bold flavor, though- it's tart. Think Manischewitz.
3. I've used montrachet, champagne, 71B, and premier cuvee, all with very similar results.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:27 PM   #428
mcbethenstein
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks,
I ended up mixing this up last night. Used my RO water at home. 3lbs sugar, 8 containers of juice, the RC-212 and a little bit of love! Going good this morning. Smells nice. I have a small bag of medium roast French oak chips, and some craisins for a little complexity to add in secondary. This will definately be an experiment... We aren't wine snobs, but do appreciate a nice red blend, so I hope that my boyfriend finds it drinkable. I know how my first few beers, ciders and meads have been, so I want to try out this with the peace of mind knowing I have only $20 invested instead of $150 when I ultimately make a mistake. Gotta get the process down first. Thanks Yooper for a good and reasonable recipe that may open the door to many more wine fermentations!

Old 03-01-2012, 01:24 AM   #429
twintrades
Recipes 

I'm trying 2 one gallon batches. One is white the other is red. The white had a reading just as your recipe said. The red had a lot less sugar. So would that be a problem? Or will it just finish with a lower abv?

These are my first try's at wine. Im exited and scared I hope they work. Heck they're allredy cheaper then 1 reg bottle of wine.

Thanks for he recipe !

Old 03-01-2012, 01:40 PM   #430
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

If you want, you can add more sugar to get to the OG you want. Or just leave it, for a lower ABV. Whichever you prefer is fine.

Quick Reply