Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Welch's Grape Juice Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2011, 02:43 PM   #331
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4341 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadeus_d3 View Post
I wasn't paying very close attention, so I'm not entirely sure. However, I followed your exact recipe, except I made a 6 gallon batch. How long does it usually take to ferment?
It takes as long as it takes. Each fermentation is different- it depends on the temperature for example- so it is impossible to say when yours would be done with any certainty. However, if it's clear and no longer dropping lees, you can say it's done, plus 30 days is more than likely long enough. I use my hydrometer to know for sure.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 02:46 PM   #332
thadeus_d3
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
It takes as long as it takes. Each fermentation is different- it depends on the temperature for example- so it is impossible to say when yours would be done with any certainty. However, if it's clear and no longer dropping lees, you can say it's done, plus 30 days is more than likely long enough. I use my hydrometer to know for sure.
Thanks for the speedy responses. I'll try to forget about it and let this baby age as long as possible. Last question- I bought some oak cubes that I debated on using for this wine. Can I still use them after I stablilized the wine? I don't think that stabilizing will make a difference, but I wanted to check before making another rookie mistake.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:43 PM   #333
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadeus_d3 View Post
Thanks for the speedy responses. I'll try to forget about it and let this baby age as long as possible. Last question- I bought some oak cubes that I debated on using for this wine. Can I still use them after I stablilized the wine? I don't think that stabilizing will make a difference, but I wanted to check before making another rookie mistake.
That would be fine. It will still pick up oak.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:37 PM   #334
Chaos_Being
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hello all- I've been away (from this forum, and from brewing in general) for quite some time and have been getting back into (brewing) again lately. Back on page 17 of this thread, from last january, I posted about starting a batch of this wine. I ended up having an issue with a stuck fermentation, added champagne yeast, and then...well, life got crazy in a not so great way, and my wine got forgotten. For a long time. I finally got around to doing something with it in the middle of summer of this year. I racked it to a new container, topped it off with 1.5l of Yellow Tail cabernet/merlot, and added 1.5oz of medium toast french oak. Bad juju in my life continued, and it sat on the oak for much longer than I had planned. I bottled it a week before Thanksgiving The final product has a bit of a sherry note up front (probably from oxidation from sitting around for so long with too much headspace in the carboy, but this IMO isn't bad, it reminds me of a sherry my dad brought home from Spain once,) followed by a vanilla oak note, then the foxy concord grape taste, finished with a bit of woody and red-wine-ish tannic bite.

Overall, it turned out to be a surprisingly complex and interesting wine, especially considering the strange mix of ingredients that ended up going into it, and the extended period of neglect! I figured I'd finally share my end results here, nearly two years later

Bottled: Hrothgar Hefe, OktoberFast Ale, Irish Stout, Dopplebock, Schwarzbier
Bottled/Aging: Oaked Concord Wine, Sweet Mead, Raspberry Melomel
Up Next: American Amber, Goblin Rocket Fuel 2.0, Red Rye Ale, Imperial Stout, etc...

Old 01-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #335
AudaciousAlechemist
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Add additional water to make one gallon and pour into secondary.

When active fermentation slows down (about 5 days), fit airlock. When clear, rack, top up and refit airlock. After additional 30 days, stabilize, sweeten if desired and rack into bottles.[/QUOTE]

This is my first try at making wine and I was super excited to find this recipe!!

Your instructions seem really easy to follow, except, I'm wondering, if the recipe makes 1 gallon, and I add water in the beginning to make it 1 gallon, how much do I top up after fermentation slows? Or do I just need to add enough to keep it a 1 gallon batch?

“Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber Through the chambers of my brain -- Quaintest thoughts -- queerest fancies Come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today.” -Edgar Allen Poe

Last edited by AudaciousAlechemist; 01-03-2012 at 09:06 PM.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:05 PM   #336
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudaciousAlechemist View Post

Your instructions seem really easy to follow, except, I'm wondering, if the recipe makes 1 gallon, and I add water in the beginning to make it 1 gallon, how much do I top up after fermentation slows? Or do I just need to add enough to keep it a 1 gallon batch?
Just add water to keep it at 1 gallon, or within about 2 inches of the bung in the carboy/jug.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:07 PM   #337
AudaciousAlechemist
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Great, sounds easy enough, thanks!!

“Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber Through the chambers of my brain -- Quaintest thoughts -- queerest fancies Come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today.” -Edgar Allen Poe

Old 01-04-2012, 02:16 AM   #338
chevs15
Recipes 

I'm going to give this a try tomorrow! If I wanted to add oak chips, when would be the best time to do that?

Also, I see you don't use bentonite others do? Can you explain this to me?

Thanks!

Old 01-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #339
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevs15 View Post
I'm going to give this a try tomorrow! If I wanted to add oak chips, when would be the best time to do that?

Also, I see you don't use bentonite others do? Can you explain this to me?

Thanks!
You'd add oak after the fermentation is over and once the wine is clear.

I don't use bentonite unless it's needed. This wine clears perfectly fine without any finings.

Bentonite is a clay, so I wouldn't have any qualms about using it. (I don't usually use animal/shellfish products in my wines due to vegetarian friends). But what it does is just help pull out proteins. I don't usually have any sort of protein haze in my wines.

If I have a wine that is refusing to clear, I will occasionally use sparkelloid. Sometimes dandelion wine just doesn't want to clear, and sparkelloid will fix that.

Usually, though, a properly made wine will clear just fine on its own. If not, sticking it in a cold place (called "cold stabilization") will usually clear it as well.

Time is usually the best fining agent anyway, so winemaking is a great hobby for procrastinators!

Old 01-05-2012, 12:12 AM   #340
chevs15
Recipes 

My starting SG is 1.100. Is that too high? Is so....what do I need to do to fix this?

Thanks!

Quick Reply