Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Welch's Grape Juice Wine

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2008, 12:33 AM   #21
kjones
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Upstate, SC
Posts: 256
Default


cool prolly gonna get this yeast K1-V1116 Montpellier. A vigorous and competitive fermenter that, because of it's neutral effect on varietal character, is very well suited to fruit wines as well as wines to be made from grapes. Grapes and fresh fruit. 59-86° F (15-30°

and also one last thing all i have is beer bottles can i just bottle in those?


Edit: just read back and answered my own question

__________________

Last edited by kjones; 09-02-2008 at 12:41 AM.
kjones is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2008, 07:46 PM   #22
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ChshreCat's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Camano Island
Posts: 11,240
Liked 453 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default


All else fails, make a dry batch and blend them.

__________________
ChshreCat is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2008, 08:21 PM   #23
ZacMac
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Crown Point, Indiana
Posts: 108
Default


Hey Yooper, love the recipe and want to try it soon. When you say top up or off, what are you using to do this? More grape juice or water? Hope all is well!

__________________
Primary: N/A
Secondary: N/A
On-Tap: Blue Balls Belgian Wit
On-Tap: Oktoberfast Ale
On-Tap: EdWort's Apfelwein
Bottled: Apfelwein, Cali Common
On-Deck:Irish Red, Oatmeal Stout, Guinness Clone - Gettin' ready for the fall


Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Non-Alcoholic beer is like going down on your cousin, it might taste the same but it just ain’t right!


MacKnockel's Brewing Co.

Valparaiso, Indiana
ZacMac is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2008, 01:56 AM   #24
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,318
Liked 4273 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by zacmac View Post
Hey Yooper, love the recipe and want to try it soon. When you say top up or off, what are you using to do this? More grape juice or water? Hope all is well!
You can top up with water- that's built into the recipe. As long as you're only topping off to a gallon, you're all set.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2008, 01:59 PM   #25
ZacMac
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Crown Point, Indiana
Posts: 108
Default


Sounds good to me, thanks Yooper!

__________________
Primary: N/A
Secondary: N/A
On-Tap: Blue Balls Belgian Wit
On-Tap: Oktoberfast Ale
On-Tap: EdWort's Apfelwein
Bottled: Apfelwein, Cali Common
On-Deck:Irish Red, Oatmeal Stout, Guinness Clone - Gettin' ready for the fall


Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Non-Alcoholic beer is like going down on your cousin, it might taste the same but it just ain’t right!


MacKnockel's Brewing Co.

Valparaiso, Indiana
ZacMac is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2008, 04:12 AM   #26
kjones
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Upstate, SC
Posts: 256
Default


hey yooper, i am assuming i was supposed to use plan cane sugar right?

__________________
kjones is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2008, 08:26 PM   #27
5FishDownWine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2
Default How much Yeast?


I am making the Welch Grape Froze Concentrate...I want to make five gallons. So my question is (because I am New to this) is does 1 packet work for 1 gallon and gallons? Or do I need to add more yeast since I am bumping up the recipe in other ingredients ?

__________________
5FishDownWine is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2008, 11:28 PM   #28
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,318
Liked 4273 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by 5FishDownWine View Post
I am making the Welch Grape Froze Concentrate...I want to make five gallons. So my question is (because I am New to this) is does 1 packet work for 1 gallon and gallons? Or do I need to add more yeast since I am bumping up the recipe in other ingredients ?
No, one package of yeast is good for up to 6 gallons of wine, so you're all set.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2008, 12:51 PM   #29
5FishDownWine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2
Default <sigh> more ????


because I am starting out, I wanted to use the Hydrometer for this recipe. (now I wonder if that was a and/ confusing idea)

before yeast:

1.080 Specific Gravity
11 percent P. Alcohol
20 percent sugar

on the paper I have it says for Sweet wine it says "starting gravity" should e 1.140 ad up 2 pts

I do ot like dry wine so I added more sugar (ending up using 2 1/2 lbs more sugar and my reading for SP only went to 1.105


I am frustrated ad my gut says to stop adding sugar so I added the yeast packet.

I'm thinking maybe I will not get the hang of this and I haven't even begun doing acid tests <sigh>

thoughts?

__________________
5FishDownWine is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2008, 08:10 PM   #30
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,318
Liked 4273 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by 5FishDownWine View Post
because I am starting out, I wanted to use the Hydrometer for this recipe. (now I wonder if that was a and/ confusing idea)

before yeast:

1.080 Specific Gravity
11 percent P. Alcohol
20 percent sugar

on the paper I have it says for Sweet wine it says "starting gravity" should e 1.140 ad up 2 pts

I do ot like dry wine so I added more sugar (ending up using 2 1/2 lbs more sugar and my reading for SP only went to 1.105


I am frustrated ad my gut says to stop adding sugar so I added the yeast packet.

I'm thinking maybe I will not get the hang of this and I haven't even begun doing acid tests <sigh>

thoughts?
Well, your paper is correct, in a way. If you add so much sugar that you overpower the yeast, you will have a sweet wine when it's finished. You'll have something like 18% abv, though, so it'll be sweet rocket fuel.

It's easiest to make the recipe as written, and wait for it to finish at a drinkable 12-13% or so. Then, stabilize using sorbate and campden tablets, and add sugar or honey or any other sweetener to taste.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Welches Grape Juice Wine freeballer Wine Making Forum 19 02-18-2014 07:49 PM
Store bought grape juice wine cheezydemon Wine Making Forum 14 12-08-2010 08:49 PM
Using wine-grape juice in brewing eddie884 General Beer Discussion 5 08-02-2009 12:37 AM
Nasty Welch's grape wine yeastluvr Wine Making Forum 6 03-31-2009 03:35 AM
Wine from Grape Juice Help limprizol Wine Making Forum 5 10-07-2008 02:39 PM