Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Welch's Grape Juice Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2010, 02:58 AM   #201
Dalarast
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So I racked it into secondary and tasted the hydrometer test and love this wine. I cheated and when racking I did a half gallon into a carlo bottle and conditioning it for a few weeks/month maybe to drink while the rest will age as the recipe calls for. Going to make another batch in a week or two when I start up my next apfelwein batch and some honey mead (basically my next BJs run)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2010, 06:10 PM   #202
FireCaptain
Recipes 

In one gal batch what do you use for a primary and it said to top up do you use water?

Old 03-21-2010, 01:34 AM   #203
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4274 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireCaptain View Post
In one gal batch what do you use for a primary and it said to top up do you use water?
I use a Carlo Rossi wine jug for primary. I top up with water, when fermentation slows.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:01 AM   #204
LoneTreeFarms
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 49

whew i finally made it through all 200+ posts on here. started my 6 gallon batch last month only used 5 pounds or so of sugar in the batch which is a bit low i know, starting SG 1.08 just racked to the secondary after about 30 days SG was 0.99 took a sample and it was very tart. planning to let it sit for an additional 30 days then backsweeten to a medium-sweet wine. i did notice when transferring that the bottom of the primary was white and yeasty, is this the lees that everyone is talking about? We also F-d up and added 2 packets of yeast thinking that 1 packet was only good for 5 gallons. oh if i'd only found this site earlier.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:04 PM   #205
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneTreeFarms View Post
whew i finally made it through all 200+ posts on here. started my 6 gallon batch last month only used 5 pounds or so of sugar in the batch which is a bit low i know, starting SG 1.08 just racked to the secondary after about 30 days SG was 0.99 took a sample and it was very tart. planning to let it sit for an additional 30 days then backsweeten to a medium-sweet wine. i did notice when transferring that the bottom of the primary was white and yeasty, is this the lees that everyone is talking about? We also F-d up and added 2 packets of yeast thinking that 1 packet was only good for 5 gallons. oh if i'd only found this site earlier.
An extra package of yeast is fine- it's not going to have any effect. That stuff on the bottom with yeast, and possibly some colored material, is the "lees". Lees will form in secondary, too, but not as much.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:53 AM   #206
Satori
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post

Then, crush a campden tablet into 1/4 cup boiling water and stir it to dissolve, then add it to the wine. H2S will ruin the wine if not taken care of.
Won't a campden tab kill the present yeast?

Old 04-13-2010, 05:08 AM   #207
Satori
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
An extra package of yeast is fine- it's not going to have any effect. That stuff on the bottom with yeast, and possibly some colored material, is the "lees". Lees will form in secondary, too, but not as much.
FWIW, I use 1/8 tspn yeast to begin a starter to pitch one gallon. I don't always use a starter, but it is the best way to do it. The rest of the dry yeast has to be stored under vacuum and refrigerated or it will die. If you don't have a way to vacuum your yeast, just pitch it all at once.

Using this method I can use one package of yeast to start 15(ish) one gallon batches from one package of yeast.

Otherwise, for a one to five gallon batch, one package is fine; more won't hurt or help. If you plan to ferment more than five gallons with no starter, I would advise you to use more than one package.

I like to begin a starter with the must, but that's just me. You can use sugar-water and a little nutrient and it will work just fine.

You can pitch ten packages to one gallon of must and it won't hurt. It's just wasteful, not harmful. It will turn out the same either way.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:15 AM   #208
Satori
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yooper,

Do you stir the must every day during Primary fermentation?

I've tried it without stirring it every day but it seems to stall if I don't. It seems like the nutrient settles to the bottom as if it were lees. When it is in secondary it doesn't seem to care if I stir it or not.

I wonder if you have the same experience?

Thanks for any help you might be able to offer.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:44 PM   #209
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
Yooper,

Do you stir the must every day during Primary fermentation?

I've tried it without stirring it every day but it seems to stall if I don't. It seems like the nutrient settles to the bottom as if it were lees. When it is in secondary it doesn't seem to care if I stir it or not.

I wonder if you have the same experience?

Thanks for any help you might be able to offer.
Yes, I stir all of my wines in primary, especially ones with fruit in it. The nutrient doesn't settle for me, though- it's dissolved pretty well. I just stir to break up the "cap" and to get some oxygen to the must. Once it gets to about 1.020-1.010, I rack to the secondary and no longer stir it.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:19 AM   #210
Medwards7
Recipes 

Default first batch

ok I am new and have been reading your blog. here is what I have done. I took a Milk jug and cleaned it out very well and added 2-46oz Welches 100% concord grape juice. then I added 1.5 cups of sugar and 3 yes 3 packets of bakers yeast. It has been in storage for 5 days and with a cotton ball in the top>(which didnt keep it from foaming over) none the less the foam receded and is now bubbling. I had it scheduled to vapor lock in in a couple of days and let sit for a month then filter and bottle. I really don't think the wine will last long since it is less than a gallon. my question is this. Since I don't plan on aging it do I need any additional ingredients ie. sorbate etc. and what can I expect to get from from this batch. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Quick Reply