Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Tomato Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2010, 04:15 AM   #21
floyd336
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

It finished really nice. I cleared it with sparkalloid on top of the campden and sorbistat K. I ended up bottling over 5 gallons. Most of it I bottled straight out of the carboy, but I also sweetened 1 1/2 gallons and also added about a tsp salt to the last half gallon. It is all good. It is mellow in the front of the mouth, but has a good kick at the end. It also has recognizable tomato tartness. I'm planning to age most of it until summer time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2010, 04:43 AM   #22
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
We just drank the last bottle of this batch about 2 weeks ago. It was a beautiful golden color, with a tomato nose. It had nice legs, and a crisp fruity flavor. It's one of those things that definitely tastes better than it sounds!
it definitely has me scratching my head as to how it could be good, but is intriguing enough to make me want to brew up a batch. i live close enough to mexico so we get fresh tomatoes year-round, so i'll have to do a batch this weekend

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Old 03-23-2011, 03:31 AM   #23
sweetpoetatoe
Recipes 

hmm were growing some black russian and other sorts of heirlooms this year. i wonder how those would turn out. i had a friend in minneapolis that would also put sage, and sometimes basil in his tomato wine. it was delicious. but some batches much too heavy on the basil, tasted like a spaghetti sauce of sorts haha

Old 05-03-2011, 10:45 PM   #24
Damonic
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd336 View Post
It finished really nice. I cleared it with sparkalloid on top of the campden and sorbistat K. I ended up bottling over 5 gallons. Most of it I bottled straight out of the carboy, but I also sweetened 1 1/2 gallons and also added about a tsp salt to the last half gallon. It is all good. It is mellow in the front of the mouth, but has a good kick at the end. It also has recognizable tomato tartness. I'm planning to age most of it until summer time.
Interesting. I've racked mine twice and it's crystal clear. I mean, beautiful... all sediment dropped out of suspension without me doing anything. How much sugar and salt did you use for your test portions?

Old 05-04-2011, 12:54 AM   #25
floyd336
Recipes 

I used 1/4 cup sugar per gallon, and less than 1 tbsp salt per gallon.

I have to say though, the unsweetened, unsalted wine is so delicious I still can't believe it. It has a subtle sweetness to it that is just right.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:51 PM   #26
Rossnaree
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Hey, Yooper -- I haven't the time to use up the bushels of tomatoes that I have on hand right now, I'm pretty sure that freezing them (for a month or two or three) won't hurt anything but I'd like to know from you or anyone else if using frozen tomatoes would be something I should avoid?

Thanks in advance, and if anyone is living nearby ---- well, if you're in need of tomatoes, holler. I can't give them away fast enough. Caspian Pink, Rutgers, Brandywine, Red Brandywine, Lemon Boy, Early Girl, Heintz, Sweet One Million, Mountain Pride, and Sunsugar. I used to be able to give all my surplus away, but a lot of folks acting on my enocuraging talks to start their own gardens and I'd give them my excess plants, seeds, etc.... I created my own competition to the point where one even offers ME their produce! I love it.

- Tim

Some knowledge will never be shared, not from a desire to conceal it, but because it is so common to the individual that it is assumed to be already known.

Primary: Chardonel
Secondary: Apfelwein, Chambourcin, Blackstone Pond American Ale, King of the North, Concord, 2nd wine from pulp of both
Bottled: Bavarian Hefeweizen, Dortmunder, King of the North (2010), Apfelwein (2010), Lesser Wilderness Mead (2010), King of the North (2nd wine - 2010)

Old 04-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #27
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm planting some Riesentraube tomatos this year for the sole purpose of making some tomato wine. Apparently, they are an old variety that were commonly used for this purpose. What varities have been successful for you guys?

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 04-11-2012, 01:53 AM   #28
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Did I post drunk one night, piss everyone off, and forget about it? And now no one wants to talk to me? Going to check my post history...

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 04-11-2012, 02:00 AM   #29
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
Did I post drunk one night, piss everyone off, and forget about it? And now no one wants to talk to me? Going to check my post history...
If you did, I forgot about it too.

I don't know what varieties I've used, as Bob is the gardener and he grows lots of early tomatoes for fresh eating. I didn't use any romas, but I would have it that's what he gave me! So, I just don't know the answer to your question- sorry!

Old 03-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #30
macshomebrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I've done many small batches of tomato wine. Done with skins on and off. Doesn't matter. The color still drops out. Very pleased with the wine. You would never know it was made with tomatoes. Similar to a chardonay my wife says. Doing a six gallon batch this year.

It's all good and getting better!

Quick Reply