Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Tomato Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2009, 07:14 AM   #11
musty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny's Evil Concoctions View Post
Were you and Yoop leaving the skins in or just using the juice? Skins in for a few days might add color.

Been meaning to try this real soon though I might try my own version.
The recipe I used said to ferment on the skins until SG was 1.040 or under, which ended up being 3 days. At this point, fruit was pressed and removed.

I should note that the color early on was a nice light red, but as precipitate fell out and after the first (after pressing) and second racking (the final racking before bottling) a yellow color took hold. But as it's been aging, a solid gold color has been developing.

I didn't mention this earlier, but the TA of .65% makes the wine come off a bit tart at first. This has been smoothing out with age, however, and as the sweetness continues to come out--very unexpectedly--the sugar-acid balance seems to be remedying itself.

Primary: Blueberry Wine

Secondary: See below

Aging: Prickly Pear Fruit & Apple Wine, Edwort's Apfelwein (organic & modified w/5% Cabernet Sauvignon)

Bottled: Tomato Wine, Barley Wine, Cinnamon Barley Wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2009, 07:50 AM   #12
musty
Recipes 

I also want to point out a major time difference in Yooper and my recipes: Yooper's aged for over a year, mine has aged about 4 months and--according to the Home Winemakers Companion--should be consumed at young at 5 months.

Aging: Prickly Pear Fruit & Apple Wine, Edwort's Apfelwein (organic & modified w/5% Cabernet Sauvignon)

Old 10-20-2009, 02:14 AM   #13
musty
Recipes 

Default Update

Well, I divvied up the whole gallon amongst friends and a local sommelier. She--the som--noted it was better than she expected, but would definitely recommend boosting the sugar.

So, next batch I'll be shooting for at least 22 degrees Brix, probably more.

That is all

Old 10-20-2009, 03:13 AM   #14
Chad

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I must say that I'm not sure I'm up for tomato wine. However, I have been enjoying tomato vinegar from ChefShop.com. Yoop, have you considered turning some of your tomato wine to vinegar? I'm in love with this stuff for vinaigrettes, adding brightness to tomato sauces and sausages, finishing sauces, et al. I even did a tomato/basil mayonnaise using the tomato vinegar as the liquid and/or acid component that turned out spectacularly well.

www.chadwrites.com

Old 10-20-2009, 01:09 PM   #15
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
I must say that I'm not sure I'm up for tomato wine. However, I have been enjoying tomato vinegar from ChefShop.com. Yoop, have you considered turning some of your tomato wine to vinegar? I'm in love with this stuff for vinaigrettes, adding brightness to tomato sauces and sausages, finishing sauces, et al. I even did a tomato/basil mayonnaise using the tomato vinegar as the liquid and/or acid component that turned out spectacularly well.
I've never made vinegar. It probably would be very good, though!

The wine was a very nice wine in the end, and is completely gone! It stayed a beautiful golden color. I was going to make it again this fall, but got vetoed on that use for Bob's tomatoes.

Old 08-29-2010, 04:57 AM   #16
floyd336
Recipes 

I just made a 4x batch of this. I managed to buy 23 # of large tomatos from the amish man for 6$. I bought them from him last year, and they made good wine, so I thought I'd ramp it up a little bit this year and shoot for 4 gallons finished wine. I mixed in some of my own garden tomatoes and threw some of the amish tomatoes into some salsa I was making at the same time - did I mention these tomatoes taste great - just for fun, but in the end I think it was still about 23 # tomatoes that went into the wine.

I chopped all of these in a salsa maker and boiled them, then set them aside (because I was working on a single burner grill). I boiled and added 10 # sugar water to my 6 gallon plastic fermenter, filled to 4 2/5 gallons with tap water. I added 4x of all the chemicals. I did add the pectic enzyme, and was wondering if it works if added immediately - I may just add more. I then stretched a straining bag over the edge of the fermenting bucket and asked my wife to help me pour in the tomatoes. I tied off the bag and put the lid on the bucket.

This is a 6 gallon bucket and it is full. I think it might blow it's top when the yeasties get to it.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:25 AM   #17
floyd336
Recipes 

After about 12 hours, I did add another dose of pectic enzyme, about 2 tsp. Then I added a packet of montrachet yeast after 24 hours. I covered the fermenter with a lid , but didn't add an airlock, just covered the hole with a paper towel, and set it in a deep sink, thinking it might blow. The next day, I was pleasantly surprised to find the bag of tomatoes had plugged the hole from below and all that was escaping was a lot of CO2 and fermenting tomato smell. My whole basement smells like fermenting tomatoes now, which isn't totally bad once you get used to it. So, now, 2 days later, I decided to add an airlock and the thing just goes berserk! I removed it again so it wouldn't just lose all the water and let the fruit flies in....

Old 09-06-2010, 01:42 AM   #18
floyd336
Recipes 

Fermentation has slowed a good bit, so I decided it was racking day. I had prepared 3 4 litre jugs, a 3 -litre and a 1-litre, since that was the amount of liquid I originally had, but apparently, the tomatoes added another gallon of liquid to the mix. Luckily my 6-gallon carboy was clean and ready to use, so I racked into that. I've got almost a gallon of headspace, but it's still bubbling pretty steady, so I'm not too worried about o2 right now. The "wine" is cloudy and creamy colored. I tasted and there is still a good bit of sweetness to it, but you can taste the alchohol as well. There is a tomato tang to it.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:04 PM   #19
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd336 View Post
Fermentation has slowed a good bit, so I decided it was racking day. I had prepared 3 4 litre jugs, a 3 -litre and a 1-litre, since that was the amount of liquid I originally had, but apparently, the tomatoes added another gallon of liquid to the mix. Luckily my 6-gallon carboy was clean and ready to use, so I racked into that. I've got almost a gallon of headspace, but it's still bubbling pretty steady, so I'm not too worried about o2 right now. The "wine" is cloudy and creamy colored. I tasted and there is still a good bit of sweetness to it, but you can taste the alchohol as well. There is a tomato tang to it.
Thanks for the write-up! Make sure you let us know how it finishes.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:50 PM   #20
Damonic
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My garden had bushels of extra tomatoes this year and after packing the freezer and pantry full of sauce, frozen, diced, etc. I still had plenty for a big batch of tomato wine. This is my second wine ever, first was a tart cherry wine 8 years ago. Basically stuck to Yooper's recipe 5X. I know my water measurement is off but I was in a hurry (making 5 gallons of blueberry-pom apfelwein at the same time!)

20 lbs fresh ripe red tomatoes
3 lbs of seeded watermelon (had extra, figured what the hell!)
10 lbs granulated sugar
5 gallons water
3 1/4 tablespoon acid blend
2 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
5/8 tsp grape tannin
5 tsp yeast nutrient
5 crushed Campden tablet
1 pkg Champagne yeast

Half of my tomatoes were already blanched but the other half were freshly cut. Stuffed 10lbs of tomatoes into each of two separate grain socks and tied off. Dissolved 10lbs of sugar in water and poured over the tomato bags. Allowed to cool and then added acid blend, tannin, and yeast nutrient. I forgot the Campden tablets and so they went in 12 hours later. At the same time I made a starter for my champagne yeast and added it the next day. SG was 1.068 and it tasted pretty good, basically like super sweet tomato juice. Will be stirring twice a day for a week and then removing tomatoes and racking into secondary. I'll try and update as things progress...

Last edited by Damonic; 10-12-2010 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Forgot that I threw in some watermelon - Updated ingredient list

Quick Reply