Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Rhubarb Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2011, 06:25 PM   #81
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2754 Times on 2705 Posts
Likes Given: 113

The campden was added 3 days ahead of time with the sugar and water. I just didn't wait the 12 hours after adding the concentrate, PE, nutrient and tannin, to add the yeast.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2011, 10:57 AM   #82
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

I hit 1.110!!! I hope it's not rocket fuel for the next 5 years.

Nevermind, I see that is withing the recipe. For some reason, the app doesn't display that info above the first paragraph

Old 09-12-2011, 09:15 PM   #83
Malarky
Recipes 

So i'm a noob that's new to brewing and i've been lurking for awhile. i've got apflewein under my belt...and i just racked my first batch of rhubarb to a 1 gallon jug and this stuff smells incredible! But...the rhubarb totally stained my primary bucket yellow... Is this an ok time to soak with some bleach? The forums seem split on it? I just know that the rhubarb is so pungent I didn't want to contribute anything off to the mead I'm making next. Thoughts?

Last edited by Malarky; 09-12-2011 at 09:18 PM.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:17 PM   #84
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4283 Times on 3121 Posts
Likes Given: 830

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malarky View Post
So i'm a noob that's been lurking for awhile to brewing and i've got apflewein under my belt...Just racked my first batch of rhubarb to a 1 gallon jug and this stuff smells incredible! But...the rhubarb totally stained my primary bucket yellow... Is this an ok time to soak with some bleach? The forums seem split on it? I just know that the rhubarb is so pungent I didn't want to contribute any flavors to the mead I'm making next? Thoughts
Yes, bleach is fine. Just rinse, rinse, rinse well and let it dry so that no bleach smell remains. Use mostly hot water with a little bleach.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:06 AM   #85
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Just racked this again tonight. I'm so lazy. How many times do you typically need to to rack it? I had very little sediment. I'm thinking I'll be able to rack it on more time, then rack to a bottling bucket. I'm going to pick up some wine bottles and borrow a corker from a friend for this stuff.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:08 AM   #86
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
Just racked this again tonight. I'm so lazy. How many times do you typically need to to rack it? I had very little sediment. I'm thinking I'll be able to rack it on more time, then rack to a bottling bucket. I'm going to pick up some wine bottles and borrow a corker from a friend for this stuff.
If it's clear (you should be able to read a newspaper through it), and not dropping any more lees, you can bottle any time.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:14 AM   #87
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

It's definitely clear. I thought you had to keep racking until it no longer dropped anything after racking. I'll give it two weeks then and bottle. I'm a little concerned about the nose burning whatever it was while leaning over the carboy. I'm thinking it was vinegary, but not sure.I'm hoping that I'm just not used to the chemicals in wine making and what they add until aging. I racked onto 5 campden tablets. Perhaps it was the combo of the starsan foam, the campden and the wine.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:25 AM   #88
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
It's definitely clear. I thought you had to keep racking until it no longer dropped anything after racking. I'll give it two weeks then and bottle. I'm a little concerned about the nose burning whatever it was while leaning over the carboy. I'm thinking it was vinegary, but not sure.I'm hoping that I'm just not used to the chemicals in wine making and what they add until aging. I racked onto 5 campden tablets. Perhaps it was the combo of the starsan foam, the campden and the wine.
The idea is that you want to go 60 days without any new lees. Then you know you won't have those lees dropping in the bottle!

The co2, campden, and wine probably made an aroma that caused that burning! I wouldn't worry about it at this point.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:41 PM   #89
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 753 Times on 500 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
I noticed a strong smell too...must be the campden. I tried a little sample recently and it tastes good. I ended up using super kleer as it didn't seem to be clearing by itself. It is now very clear and I racked last night to see if anything else is dropping. Now I have to decide if I should sweeten this before bottling.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:10 AM   #90
Atek
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Just made a batch of this myself. Didn't quite have 3 lbs of rhubarb. Worked out to 2 3/4lbs. Should be alright, just a little on the light side I imagine.This is the first time I've just left it towel covered... makes me nervous to do that. My friends father had some issues with infection. I'll keep ya'll posted on how it goes. :-)

"Gaurd your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and out live the bastards."

Quick Reply