Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Rhubarb Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2012, 02:07 PM   #151
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4381 Times on 3188 Posts
Likes Given: 854

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNbrewmeister View Post
We didn't take a 1st reading if we add more yeast and stir should we leave it in the plastic pail or put it in the carboy or add the yeast and funnel it into the carboy to add oxygen
Stir it well, and then add the yeast. Leave it in the pail until it gets to 1.020 or so.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 01:59 AM   #152
SnupDave
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I read most of the thread, but I admittedly didn't read it all. So forgive me if this question has already been answered.
If you're interested in making this taste more strongly of rhubarb (either because you don't have access to very much rhubarb, or just because you want to increase the rhubarb taste), is there anything you can do to increased the rhubarb taste from less fruit? Like mash it, or dice it, or.... I don't know. Something?
I haven't made this or any other wines yet, but I know that when rhubarb comes into season, I never see very much of it in my local grocery stores.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #153
mookiex2
Recipes 

I have a V-Vessel, hanging fermenter for beer and wine making. I prefer the wine. I and my family have always been Rhubarb fanatics. I refuse to eat the pies unless we make them since they are always ruined by the addition of Strawberry. You mentioned in your thread that you wanted to make 5 gallons. The Vessel is a 5 gallon container and everything from start to finish, (meaning bottling), is done in this Vessel. Can you post you 5 gallon recipe so I can jump all over it? I have too much Rhubarb in the freezer that even we have run out of things to do with it. Regards from Reno, NV

Old 05-24-2013, 01:20 PM   #154
stretchmurph
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Ok , How are ye all folks. i'm going to attempt this as i just got a load of Rhubarb but first i've a few questions
I'm fairly new to home brewing so be gentle

What do you mean by "lees"
Tanin ? what is it and is there a replacement for it or can i do without it ?
when i rack onto the campden tablets do i need to repitch more yeast (does campden not kill yeast)
also the yeast i have here is "youngs super wine yeast compound" it states 1 heaped teaspoon per gallon ! I'm going to try a 5 gallon batch !
Thanks in advance.
stephen

Old 05-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #155
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I bet Yooper responds soon to your questions. I'll give a swag too. BTW, our first batch from last June is getting pretty tasty. Bringing a 1.5L bottle up to the lake for Memorial. If I'm out picking rhubarb for our 2013 batch, its time to start consuming!

1) Lees are the yeast and fruit particulate that drops out at the bottom of your fermenter.
2) Tannin gives some extra flavors that might be lacking and helps protect it during aging. I would stick with it, but have no experience in this recipe without.
3) Camden is just used in the beginning prior to yeast pitch to control any wild yeasts in the fruit from reproducing. It dissapates over time so that the yeast you pitch are the primary fermenters. Camden added after fermentation is over is there to prevent oxidation and limit yeast reproduction to shut it down.
4 )I don't know much about the Youngs Super Yeast Compound, but from what I gather its usually used in really high alcohol ciders/wines/distilling. If it were me, I'd try and get some of the more commonly used wine yeasts like Montrachet.

Primary #1:Spruced Winter Warmer #2: Empty
Secondary #1
:Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty
Kegged
: Cascadian Dark Ale
Bottles
: Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: Orange Pale Ale IV, Hidden Lake Nut Brown, 2H IPA III, Black Currant Wine

Old 05-24-2013, 02:20 PM   #156
stretchmurph
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

since posting i found a nearby place that sells everything i need so i'll stick in an order for them, the only thing killing me is the year long wait
But i've two batchs of mead that might kill the boredom while i'm waiting .

Old 05-24-2013, 05:18 PM   #157
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretchmurph View Post
since posting i found a nearby place that sells everything i need so i'll stick in an order for them, the only thing killing me is the year long wait
But i've two batchs of mead that might kill the boredom while i'm waiting .
Great, I would stick to the recipe for the first batch. Yep the year long wait sucks, but I made it.

Unfortunately I still have another 12-18 months before my first sour beer will be ready
Primary #1:Spruced Winter Warmer #2: Empty
Secondary #1
:Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty
Kegged
: Cascadian Dark Ale
Bottles
: Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: Orange Pale Ale IV, Hidden Lake Nut Brown, 2H IPA III, Black Currant Wine

Old 05-25-2013, 02:25 AM   #158
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbes View Post
I bet Yooper responds soon to your questions. I'll give a swag too. BTW, our first batch from last June is getting pretty tasty. Bringing a 1.5L bottle up to the lake for Memorial. If I'm out picking rhubarb for our 2013 batch, its time to start consuming!

1) Lees are the yeast and fruit particulate that drops out at the bottom of your fermenter.
2) Tannin gives some extra flavors that might be lacking and helps protect it during aging. I would stick with it, but have no experience in this recipe without.
3) Camden is just used in the beginning prior to yeast pitch to control any wild yeasts in the fruit from reproducing. It dissapates over time so that the yeast you pitch are the primary fermenters. Camden added after fermentation is over is there to prevent oxidation and limit yeast reproduction to shut it down.
4 )I don't know much about the Youngs Super Yeast Compound, but from what I gather its usually used in really high alcohol ciders/wines/distilling. If it were me, I'd try and get some of the more commonly used wine yeasts like Montrachet.
You pretty much covered it! I have no idea what "super yeast Compound" is, but I'd use a generic wine yeast and not that unless you absolutely can't get any wine yeast.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:53 AM   #159
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

I'm picking rhubarb tomorrow. We have lots, so I'll make about 6 gallons of wine.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #160
broncobob71
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Hey Yooper, thanks for the recipe. I am going to use this for my first wine and was wondering if you prefer using the juice concentrate or the light raisins?

Quick Reply