Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Rhubarb Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2012, 01:19 AM   #121
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 749 Times on 496 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewUpAndSup
How many gallons does this recipe make? Thanks in advance!
One.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2012, 03:29 AM   #122
knappster
Recipes 

Yooper, you're a real asset to these forums, so thanks for all of your input. I was inspired to do a Rhubarb wine after finding a recipe of my grandfather's. Back then it was a lot more simple! I am just looking for a recommendation on use of campden tablets, as this is my first wine. Thus far I have done the following.

Added an initial campden tablet to the must
Racked to the carboy the first time without a campden tablet.
Racked onto a crushed campden tablet into a second carboy.
Now if I rack one more time without adding a campden tablet and wait 60 days without dropping any lees before bottling, would you recommend adding another before bottling? Thanks!

Old 06-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #123
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 49

This recipe looks great, thanks Yoop! I have a 6 gallon batch going right now with ~ 15lbs Rhubarb and 3lbs strawberries. Four questions:

1) Will I still get pretty decent sugar conversion in the must by soaking the fruit for only 2 days? We are heading out this weekend.

2) Do I really need to stir the must daily after pitching yeast on Thursday? I can stir it once on Friday morning, but then we'll be out of town for 3 days. Poor planning I know. Just needed our freezer space back!

3) 6 tsp yeast nutrient for 6 gallons, really? Seems like a lot, as I only add 1/2 tsp to my 5G beer batches. I know there are yeast nutrients in the beer mash, vs none for the fruit. But want to make sure I don't add too much.

4) Any worries using Montrachet yeast? I have some in the fridge thats maybe a month old. I'll ferment in my basement, which sits at 70F right now.

Primary #1: Cascadian Dark Ale #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty #3: Empty #4: Empty
Kegged
: Irish Red
Bottles
: Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, Peach Rhubarb Wne
On Deck: Spruced Winter Warmer

Old 06-07-2012, 12:30 PM   #124
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2751 Times on 2702 Posts
Likes Given: 112

It's that time of year again I suppose. My neighbor gave me another 7lbs of rhubarb a couple days ago. I got it washed, cut up and tossed in the freezer last night. We both agreed that we want it dryer this year. Any tips?
I'm also thinking about using the 3lbs of frozen pears I have with it. Rhubarb pear wine? sound appetizing?

Any tips of what to do to dry this recipe out a lot is appreciated.

Perhaps using Lalvin EC-1118 instead of the montrachet? Any other factors in drying it out other than the yeast used?

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 06-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #125
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4242 Times on 3091 Posts
Likes Given: 804

Quote:
Originally Posted by knappster View Post
Y
Added an initial campden tablet to the must
Racked to the carboy the first time without a campden tablet.
Racked onto a crushed campden tablet into a second carboy.
Now if I rack one more time without adding a campden tablet and wait 60 days without dropping any lees before bottling, would you recommend adding another before bottling? Thanks!
I use a campden tablet (one per gallon) at every other racking, and at bottling. That seems to be an accepted way to "guestimate" the SO2 level at 50 ppm, without owning a meter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbes View Post
This recipe looks great, thanks Yoop! I have a 6 gallon batch going right now with ~ 15lbs Rhubarb and 3lbs strawberries. Four questions:

1) Will I still get pretty decent sugar conversion in the must by soaking the fruit for only 2 days? We are heading out this weekend.

2) Do I really need to stir the must daily after pitching yeast on Thursday? I can stir it once on Friday morning, but then we'll be out of town for 3 days. Poor planning I know. Just needed our freezer space back!

3) 6 tsp yeast nutrient for 6 gallons, really? Seems like a lot, as I only add 1/2 tsp to my 5G beer batches. I know there are yeast nutrients in the beer mash, vs none for the fruit. But want to make sure I don't add too much.

4) Any worries using Montrachet yeast? I have some in the fridge thats maybe a month old. I'll ferment in my basement, which sits at 70F right now.
1. Yes, the pectic enzyme really breaks down the rhubarb. Plus once the rhubarb has been frozen, and then thawed, it's a big pulpy mess. The sugars dont' "convert"- you're just making fruit juice, sort of.

2. Ideally, you'd stir down the "cap" so it doesn't dry out on top.

3. You can leave out the yeast nutrient if you don't want to use it. It just helps out the yeast.

4. No, that's fine. I like montrachet yeast, and use it often.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:10 PM   #126
solbes
Recipes 

Thanks for the responses Yooper. I did add yeast nutrient, although I cut it in half to 3 tsp.

It's sitting with Pectic now for 12 hours, so I'll pitch tonight. Took a gravity sample and hit the low end of the OG at 1.095. Guess I'll add some light raisins to give it a tad more body (has one can of Welches already). Gravity sample was pretty tasty. I could taste the light strawberry coming through, although I would not be surprised for that to disapper post fermentation. Awesome recipe!!

Secondary #1
Kegged
Bottles
: Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, Peach Rhubarb Wne

Old 06-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #127
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 453 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Guess who just scored 25 lbs of rhubarb for free?

Same guy that's going to be cutting it up, vacuum sealing it and freezing it tonight for a future 5 gallon batch of rhubarb wine.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 06-12-2012, 10:43 PM   #128
solbes
Recipes 

Nice score, 25 lbs?!? You can make quite a bit of wine with that.

My 6 gallon batch is just about ready to be racked out of primary, 1.032. I'll probably send it into a new 6 gallon carboy tonight. Rough around the edges, but already a little tasty.

Secondary #1
Kegged
Bottles

Old 06-13-2012, 02:57 AM   #129
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 453 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Some of it will go to desserts, but I'm going to do a 5-6 gallon batch. Got it all trimmed and washed and started chopping it up for freezing when we ran outta time. Rest is in the fridge until tomorrow evening. I'm chopping and freezing it in one lb packages.

A friend at work has a HUGE rhubarb plant/patch this came from. She's got rhubarb up to her eyeballs this time of year. I might be able to score some more as this grows back. Some of the stalks are thick as my wrist!

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 06-13-2012, 03:15 AM   #130
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 749 Times on 496 Posts
Likes Given: 513

I was sorry that I only made 6 gallons last year. I gave away far too much of it. I'm going to try to round up enough for a double batch this year.

Quick Reply