Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Rhubarb Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2011, 03:52 PM   #91
Malarky
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Just finished my first racking and this stuff is great! I am really excited and I can't wait till it clears more. Though i am sad that i lost more volume to racking than i thought i would(1 ga batch), it made for a terrific sample though. Now to go hunt for a larger rhubarb supply for next year.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2011, 06:12 PM   #92
Atek
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Has anyone had any trouble getting this to start with a 71B?

"Gaurd your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and out live the bastards."

Old 10-18-2011, 04:20 PM   #93
Atek
Recipes 

Never mind, I got it going.

"Gaurd your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and out live the bastards."

Old 10-20-2011, 03:23 AM   #94
LyonsAudio
Recipes 

Well I have about 40lbs or rhubarb in the freezer waiting to be thawed into this stuff.

Only one bottle remains from last years batch, waiting for a good reason to open it.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:55 PM   #95
Atek
Recipes 

Ok, so here's a question before it gets out of hand and irrepairable. I started my rhubarb wine 8 days a go now. I had an issue getting the ferment to start with just rehydrated yeast, so I took a sample out and diluted it and got a starter going with that, then pitched that once it was going really well. This got the main ferment started. I stirred once every two days or so to aerate. I racked it into carboy on the 5th day and added airlock, this was last night. I noticed some sulfur egg smell so I sloshed it around a bit to try and get this out. I'm noticing today I can still smell it pretty noticeably coming out the airlock. Another detail is that I used a plastic bucket from home depot as the primary. Its a general use bucket and it was brand new. I sanitized it as I normally would but my concern here is that is not food grade plastic and the acids from the rhubarb may have pulled unwanted compounds out of the plastic. My rhubarb wine is also milky white, the same color as the fermenter. I know the color could simply be from the large amounts of yeast in solution and the relatively colorless ingredients. What should I do from here? My thoughts are to rack it again over a copper mesh and hope that pulls the sulfur out.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:46 PM   #96
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 768 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 523

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atek
Ok, so here's a question before it gets out of hand and irrepairable. I started my rhubarb wine 8 days a go now. I had an issue getting the ferment to start with just rehydrated yeast, so I took a sample out and diluted it and got a starter going with that, then pitched that once it was going really well. This got the main ferment started. I stirred once every two days or so to aerate. I racked it into carboy on the 5th day and added airlock, this was last night. I noticed some sulfur egg smell so I sloshed it around a bit to try and get this out. I'm noticing today I can still smell it pretty noticeably coming out the airlock. Another detail is that I used a plastic bucket from home depot as the primary. Its a general use bucket and it was brand new. I sanitized it as I normally would but my concern here is that is not food grade plastic and the acids from the rhubarb may have pulled unwanted compounds out of the plastic. My rhubarb wine is also milky white, the same color as the fermenter. I know the color could simply be from the large amounts of yeast in solution and the relatively colorless ingredients. What should I do from here? My thoughts are to rack it again over a copper mesh and hope that pulls the sulfur out.
I only have a few batches of wine under my belt but they all stunk at first. Just wait it out and give it time to do it's thing.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:48 PM   #97
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4366 Times on 3174 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lschiavo View Post
I only have a few batches of wine under my belt but they all stunk at first. Just wait it out and give it time to do it's thing.
Maybe that's the best advice, but I don't like the idea of a sulfur smell and a milky look. It could be just fine, but I'm not sure. Did you by any chance use montrachet yeast? Sometimes that yeast produces some sulfur odor. Otherwise, it sounds like stressed yeast and/or infection.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:56 PM   #98
Atek
Recipes 

It was a 71B which I've never had that smell with. Though I think infection may be it. I had a batch of blueberries that had something in them that caused this smell and it was done in the same primary. It was soaked in bleach and spotless after that debacle. Ill give it time but if it turns bad I think ill just toss the fermenter and get some food grade plastic pails for 2 gal fermenters next time.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:53 PM   #99
LyonsAudio
Recipes 

Just pulled the rhubarb out of the freezer.

Going with a 6 gallon batch ~ 40lbs of rhubarb, started with 5lbs of sugar going to check the SG and add if its still low. Thawing now so we shall see what happens....

I have two yeasts in my fridge, 1116 and 1118. Which shall I use?

Old 11-07-2011, 12:37 AM   #100
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4366 Times on 3174 Posts
Likes Given: 850

I'd probably use the EC-1118, but the other would be fine too as it would help keep the fruity aroma.

Quick Reply