Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Raisin Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2010, 02:37 PM   #11
brazedowl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Karr View Post
These must be put through a grinder, similar to a sausage grinder (with a crank and a screw). Blender will not work, food processor will not work.....the resulting paste is so gooey and sticky it becomes a large "turd" and will only spin around and around inside anything motorized. Grind by hand.
I had the same problem... BUT if you add enough water to the raisins to just cover them in the blender they will get chopped to tiny separate tiny little pieces without congealing into a goo. I pour this into a nylon straining bag in a large bowl and add the liquid (essence of raisin) to the primary along with the bag (tied shut).

Just a thought for those without a grinder or the upper arm strength to chop raisins by hand
In Progress: Ginger Spiced Cider
Bottled: oodles and oodles

"What senses do we lack that we cannot see or hear another world all around us?"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2010, 02:51 PM   #12
jkpq45
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brazedowl--I used the same idea. I actually used hot water, this allowed the raisins to be chopped up quite fine. By the time it was in the fermenter, it was just cool enough to melt any added sugars. Topped up with cool water, it was down to pitching temp!

Old 10-18-2010, 05:55 PM   #13
brazedowl
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I saw that... I just did up some for an experimental batch of sweet potato wine... I tried the hot water method. It seemed to soften them up some for sure.

In Progress: Ginger Spiced Cider
Bottled: oodles and oodles

"What senses do we lack that we cannot see or hear another world all around us?"

Old 12-03-2010, 04:40 PM   #14
PVH
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Just ran across this recipe in preparing to make a raisin wine this weekend. This is really one of my favorites. After Thanksgiving dinner, we enjoyed one of the last bottles I have from a 6gal batch I made four years ago - only three bottles left now. The recipe was almost identical to the one above.

Having tasted this wine as it has aged, I won't even think about opening a bottle of the next batch until after a year. The raisin flavor is intense, and the wine is high in alcohol. Once it mellows out, it's fantastic, and it stays that way.

Cheers to raisin wine!

Old 03-04-2011, 05:29 PM   #15
WIMARIPA
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I threw my raisins in with some mead that had just started to bubble then a day later I went at it with my hand blender stick thing. Worked well, but now a week later I am still stirring it twice a day to mix the raisins back in. Any suggestions on what to do to get the raisins to stay in suspension? Perhaps there is just too much fermentable sugar and the co2 from the resting fermentation keeps pushing the raisins up. I'll see if it calms down with time.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:21 AM   #16
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I just made this this evening, a five gallon batch using seven pounds of raisins and six pounds of organic raw sugar (thought it would add an interesting flavor component). I boiled three gallons of water, added the sugar, then used it in the blender with 1.5 pound batches of raisins blended on the "puree" setting. It took 3-4 cups of hot sugar water to cover the raisins each blending cycle which created a nice brown slurry. I used a large grain bag secured around the opening of a six gallon bucket, and poured the slurry in. Once all of the raisins were thus blended and added, I tied off the bag, dropped it in (it had leaked out quit a bit of "raisin essence") and cooled the remaining sugar water and topped to the six gallon mark (I figured there would be a gallon taken up by the 7 pounds of raisin pulp).

I pitched two packets of Red Star red wine yeast, as that is what I had on hand. I trust this will be okay?

My OG was 1.074 but I am not sure how reliable that is with all of the mush in the mix.

Will this ferment rigorously? The two batches of Apfel Wein I have made (using champagne yeast) barely had a krausen and I did not need a blow-off tube.

Thanks and I cannot wait!

Up Next: Imperial Rhubarb Wheat
Fermenting:
Enjoying: too many odd bottles to list..

Old 04-30-2011, 03:51 PM   #17
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default Bottling Day!

Bottled this today; four wine bottles as is, the remaining primed with honey and bottled in 1-liter flip tops for some light carbonation. The sample was most delicious; final reading came in at 10.7% ABV. The bag of raisin paste greeted me at the top of the fermenter, here is a pic....

raisinwine1.jpg   raisinwine2.jpg  

Up Next: Imperial Rhubarb Wheat
Fermenting:
Enjoying: too many odd bottles to list..

Old 06-04-2011, 11:45 PM   #18
deviouslady
Recipes 

I bottled this raisin wine in February, it is wonderful, mellowing as it ages. I soaked my raisins overnight in warm water and put them thru the food processor in batches. I suggest putting them in a bag, racking was a pain and I kept getting pieces in my mix.

I have also blended the wine with my Cherry Pie to take out the "bite" and it really surprised me.

Last edited by deviouslady; 06-09-2011 at 12:16 AM.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:32 PM   #19
George_A
Recipes 

The better results you would get if raisin wine was made not from "table" raisins ("Thompson seedless" or Sultana), but from seeded wine varietal raisins with stems, which are used in to the comericial winemaking.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:07 AM   #20
gracethomas
Recipes 

Default Raisin Wine

As I was biting into a juicy, aromatic Muscat grape at a recent Wine & Spirit Education Trust tasting, it occurred to me that wine lovers don't often have the opportunity to taste the grapes tht go into our favorite wines. When was the last time you tasted a ripe Chardonnay grape, or a Pinot Noir grape.

Quick Reply