Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Mango Pulp Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2011, 04:22 PM   #81
jamesseth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So, this is my first wine... It started at about 1.095 SG and finished around .999 SG. It was nice and clear in the primary. My problem is that when I transferred I got some of the fruit lees with it (not a big deal I think), but I have a huge amount of head space over the wine...is this going to make it go bad? Should I do anything to correct it? Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2011, 09:11 AM   #82
Ecc97
Recipes 

Made a double batch of this Saturday, split it between 2 one-gallon jugs and attached airlocks. Fermentation started very quickly and is getting more vigorous, but 4 days later it seems that most of the pulp has risen to the top and keeps getting pushed up into my airlocks. Have had to clean and reattach the airlock 5 times in the past couple of days. Is this normal? Did I do something wrong? I shake it down but it just gets pushed up again.

Go, eat your bread with joy, and drink your wine with a merry heart, for God has already approved what you do. Let your garments be always white. Let not oil be lacking on your head. Enjoy life with the wife whom you love, all the days of your vain life that he has given you under the sun, because that is your portion in life and in your toil at which you toil under the sun. (Ecclesiastes 9:7-9)

Old 11-17-2011, 10:35 AM   #83
NerdyMarie
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Hrm, weird - we've never had that happen! Not sure why the pulp would rise instead of sink - what brand did you use? Maybe it's a different texture or something? We've only ever used the Swad Kesar stuff.

Wines in Primary: Lychee, Pomegranate, Fig, Rose Hip, Iced tea "wine", Ginger tea, Cuties Mead 2.0, Date Melomel

Wines in Secondary: Mango Pulp 2.1, Frankenstein, Cranberry-Cuties Holiday, Pear, Mint, Bochet, Banana

Wines Bottled: Cranberry, Lemon, Mango 1.0, Mixed Fruit, Strawberry, Lingonberry, Lingonberry-Blueberry, Cuties Mead, Watermelon 1.0, Watermelon 2.0, Pear Mead, Mixed Berry, Cherry, Cantaloupe, Blueberry

Kegged: Apple Cider

Old 11-17-2011, 12:17 PM   #84
Xcorpia
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The pulp settled in the bottom for my batch.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:48 AM   #85
GMA
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecc97 View Post
Made a double batch of this Saturday, split it between 2 one-gallon jugs and attached airlocks. Fermentation started very quickly and is getting more vigorous, but 4 days later it seems that most of the pulp has risen to the top and keeps getting pushed up into my airlocks. Have had to clean and reattach the airlock 5 times in the past couple of days. Is this normal? Did I do something wrong? I shake it down but it just gets pushed up again.
This is not unusual in my experince. I have not done this recipe but plan to do a variant. A lot of my melomels have the fruit rise to the top and sometime out of the air lock. The only way to avoid this is to do your primary ferment in a bucket, leave plenty of head space in your carboy, or use a blow-off tube. I perfer to use a bucket to do my primary. This allows for easy stirring, SG checks, and avoiding the problem you are having.

Cheers

Old 12-01-2011, 05:41 PM   #86
BeerMe21
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Costco is having a sale on the langers mango nectar and I am thinking about trying to make the wine with this. Can anybody see an issue with that? ($2 off, not sure what it will end up being but should be pretty inexpensive)

Old 12-03-2011, 12:54 PM   #87
Satisfaction
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 25 Posts

In for 5 gallons, wow this one smelled great!

Old 12-05-2011, 06:59 AM   #88
Sirthomas42
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I made a small batch of this a few months ago, then made a batch of Skeeter Pee... ended up blending them 2:1 (6 gallons of Skeeter Pee to 3 gallons of mango wine), with a little sweetening I have 9 gallons of this amazing mango lemonade! And at ~11% abv, it's easy to get in trouble with. :-)

Pendergrast Family Wines: Bottling in memory of Thomas and Glennadene Miller

Primary: Spiced Apfelwein, Banana, Habanero Mead, Mango Wine, White grape-Raspberry

Secondary: Apfelwein, Choco-cherry Mead, Plum Mead, Blueberry-Vanilla Mead, Mixed berry wine+mead, Cherry Wine

Bottled: Too many to list!

Old 06-23-2012, 05:24 PM   #89
Sirthomas42
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Got a batch of this aging now... at it's last racking I gave it a taste, it's crazy good. It stalled out at 1.010, right where I like it. Might bottle it in a few months if I can stand it that long!

Pendergrast Family Wines: Bottling in memory of Thomas and Glennadene Miller

Primary: Spiced Apfelwein, Banana, Habanero Mead, Mango Wine, White grape-Raspberry

Secondary: Apfelwein, Choco-cherry Mead, Plum Mead, Blueberry-Vanilla Mead, Mixed berry wine+mead, Cherry Wine

Bottled: Too many to list!

Old 06-24-2012, 05:32 AM   #90
Bilbobaker
Recipes 

Would this wine benefit from the addition of some saffron after the last racking?
Be an interesting bonus for color restoration, additional aromas and even add a nice bitterness or a tannin like mouthfeel.
Mmmm that does sound good.

Quick Reply