Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Hard Lemonade

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2009, 10:38 PM   #41
scinerd3000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

yooper- how long did you age this. I did one gallon with real lemons from my tree, about 1/4 of a gallon and topped off the rest with water and sugar. SG about 1.060 and i threw in some montrochet. Fermented way down below 1.000, i figured i would backsweeten eventually once it cleared since this was an experiement anyways but damn its tart...im hoping some aging will do this good but i dont know...any ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2009, 11:42 PM   #42
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4786 Times on 3481 Posts
Likes Given: 956

Quote:
Originally Posted by scinerd3000 View Post
yooper- how long did you age this. I did one gallon with real lemons from my tree, about 1/4 of a gallon and topped off the rest with water and sugar. SG about 1.060 and i threw in some montrochet. Fermented way down below 1.000, i figured i would backsweeten eventually once it cleared since this was an experiement anyways but damn its tart...im hoping some aging will do this good but i dont know...any ideas?
I siphoned some right out of the carboy and put in a pitcher in the fridge, so I didn't age it long at all! I did bottle some, but by then it was pretty tart.

Go ahead and sweeten it, if you're not carbonating it. You can stabilize it with sorbate and campden and then sweeten with sugar, fresh lemonade, honey, etc. I liked it best around 1.010-1.020 or so.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:40 AM   #43
LooyvilleLarry
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My second starter worked !! WOOOHOO !
I started with a 1.040 DME, about 500ml. Added the yeast and gave it a little while.
Then about every 12 hours or so, I added about 1c of lemonade mixed per directions + 1 tbsp of sugar to the starter (on a stir plate). It took three days, but 10 hours after pitching (2000ml) , it;s bubbling away!

Secondary

Kegged
BeeCave Haus Ale - 6%
Bells Two Hearted, round 2- 6.1%
SNPA Clone (Chilled )
Hard Lemonade

Shiraz - 6 gal

Old 05-26-2009, 11:05 PM   #44
stoneman
Recipes 

I started a batch today!
I upped it to 5 gallons, 10 cans minute maid lemonade, 5 lbs sugar (plus 3 cups at end to bring me to 1.08) I couldn't find any yeast energizer so I doubled the nutrient to 10 tsp and for good measure I used 2 pacs of 1118 wine yeast. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks Yoop!

Old 06-17-2009, 05:22 PM   #45
Bluelinebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Just finished up a batch of this last night. FG was .994, got a little carried away!! Anyways, we tossed in some potassium sorbate, and sweetened it back up with some simple syrup to about 1.020. Tastes great!! Next project is going to be a cherry limeade I believe..... Thanks for the recipe Yooper!!

http://www.bluelinebrewer.com

Like my page on Facebook!

Old 06-17-2009, 07:41 PM   #46
LooyvilleLarry
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Blue - I think I am doing the same. This thing has been chugging along forrrreeevvvvvvverrr ! Last I checked it, about a week ago, was @ 1.029. It sure was tasty there - ya know, a 2 liter 'hydrometer sample'

I had a starter for the limeade going good, then a frickin fruit fly made it's way under the foil and died the good way.

I'm going to rack this off onto some pot sorbate, and cold crash it. Then to 2 L bottles ( or that 3 gal keg on the way! ).

Secondary

Kegged
BeeCave Haus Ale - 6%
SNPA Clone (Chilled )
Hard Lemonade

Shiraz - 6 gal

Old 06-17-2009, 10:39 PM   #47
Bluelinebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Sounds like a plan!! Has anyone successfully made a limeade following this recipe? Would be interested in knowing how it turned out. I'm also thinking about using a different yeast strain the next time.

http://www.bluelinebrewer.com

Like my page on Facebook!

Old 06-18-2009, 02:33 AM   #48
LooyvilleLarry
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Update on my lemonade. I just racked this off, and it ended up at 1.020, for a 9.3% ABV. This one, based on my experience with it a week ago at 8.x, will be called August Bent Truth Serum... Sample tasted palatable, and will need just a touch of back sweetening.

If you read my previous posts, the malt is in there from the starter, but you'd have to be looking for it. Now, to keep it out of the hands of the younguns.

Secondary

Kegged
BeeCave Haus Ale - 6%
SNPA Clone (Chilled )
Hard Lemonade

Shiraz - 6 gal

Old 06-30-2009, 03:34 PM   #49
scray24
Recipes 

So I tried this with a bit of a twist in the fermentation - basically same recipe:

3 gallons batch
6 cans of lemonade
1# of DME
1# of sugar
4c of sugar (sweetening)

I boiled some water and mixed in the DME, pound of sugar and yeast nutrient + DAP. Cooled and pitched into a carboy with about 2g of water and 1 can of lemonade concentrate. Rehydrated and pitched some champagne yeast into it and waited..

It was fermenting well by the next day so I added another can of the concentrate and a can of water (to rinse out the concentrate can). Put the airlock back on and waited.

Still fermenting well by day 2 so added one can in the morning and one that night and followed the same plan on day 3.

Its a bit backward from adding bits of the must/lemonade mixture back into a yeast starter but accomplishes the same thing.

Only drawback I can see is that its difficult to accurately measure your OG - I can get FG (it was in the 1.004 range when I kegged, added sorbistat k and the 4c of sugar dissolved in a quart of water to sweeten).

Anyone else see any major flaws in this alternative (if you would even call it that)?

Thanks for the recipe Yooper, its likely to become a standard offering during the summer.

Planning: Marzen/Oktoberfest, Belgian Pale, Maredsous 8 clone, RIS, Scottish 80 +/-
Primary/Secondary: Red's Rye, Sorta Saison Brett IPA, Pissenlit Saison Printemps (souring), Saison du Ete Amarillo, Pale sour (sorta RR Temptation clone), Dark sour (sorta RR Consecration clone)
Kegged: Mile'd Brown, Ginger Saison
Bottled: Barleywine, Palo Santo'd BW, Hard Lemonade, Ginger Saison, Noel Blanc Saison + Brett, Delirious Monk Golden, Praying Monk Brune

Old 07-01-2009, 05:48 PM   #50
LooyvilleLarry
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

BTW, Thanks Yooper - after letting some of my Truth Serum out, it seems that I'll be tying up a carboy & a 3gal keg all damn summer This is going down well, especially with the ladies, with no backsweeten.

I'll be kicking in another batch this weekend, hoping it will be done for my bday in August !

Secondary

Kegged
BeeCave Haus Ale - 6%
SNPA Clone (Chilled )
Hard Lemonade

Shiraz - 6 gal

Quick Reply