Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Hard Lemonade

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2013, 05:45 AM   #391
pkrath84
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Hey all,

I started a hard lemonade on my own before discovering this thread and I've run into a "problem."

When I made this (started 6/5/13), I just pitched dry yeast straight into 1 gallon of store bought organic lemonade along with anough dextrose to bring gravity to 1.065. I used 1/5 pack of red star champagne yeast when I pitched.

Things started off ok, albeit slowly (I added yeast nutrient once fermentation got off to a nice start) and I had decent activity in my airlock for about 3 days. Then all of the sudden things started going downhill and a few days later... I could barely see small streams of bubbles floating to the surface and now another few days later (day 6) things have now slowed to a halt with no airlock activity and no stream of bubbles. Now I know I should take a gravity reading, but there's still undissolved dextrose at the bottom of my gallon container, so I know its not done. [the yeast in my apfelwein chewed right through undissolved dextrose]

Since I didn't make a starter, did I end up sending my yeast on a suicide mission? Should I rehydrate another round of yeast to repitch? Or am I just being impatient and just need to wait it out?

Side note: Same exact problem in a perry I made. Same exact process and time frame.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #392
thejudge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrath84
Hey all,

I started a hard lemonade on my own before discovering this thread and I've run into a "problem."

When I made this (started 6/5/13), I just pitched dry yeast straight into 1 gallon of store bought organic lemonade along with anough dextrose to bring gravity to 1.065. I used 1/5 pack of red star champagne yeast when I pitched.

Things started off ok, albeit slowly (I added yeast nutrient once fermentation got off to a nice start) and I had decent activity in my airlock for about 3 days. Then all of the sudden things started going downhill and a few days later... I could barely see small streams of bubbles floating to the surface and now another few days later (day 6) things have now slowed to a halt with no airlock activity and no stream of bubbles. Now I know I should take a gravity reading, but there's still undissolved dextrose at the bottom of my gallon container, so I know its not done. [the yeast in my apfelwein chewed right through undissolved dextrose]

Since I didn't make a starter, did I end up sending my yeast on a suicide mission? Should I rehydrate another round of yeast to repitch? Or am I just being impatient and just need to wait it out?

Side note: Same exact problem in a perry I made. Same exact process and time frame.
Try stirring up to introduce some o2. Probably just stalled on you. Also add some more nutrient and energizer to help them along.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply