Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Hard Lemonade

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2009, 12:52 PM   #31
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4958 Times on 3589 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanf76 View Post
anyone carb this in bottles? could i use priming sugar if so how much for each bottle will probably bottle in 750ml
I would carb it at about 1 ounce (by weight) per gallon. If you carbonate it, make sure you use bottles that can hold pressure along with crown caps. You could also bottle it in plastic soda bottles, as they hold pressure.

I've never added sugar to bottles individually, so I don't know how much to put in each bottle. I bulk prime it.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2009, 05:19 PM   #32
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanf76 View Post
anyone carb this in bottles? could i use priming sugar if so how much for each bottle will probably bottle in 750ml
using sucrose (table sugar) for a almost champagne-like carb I would use 1 tsp per 350ml, for more relaxed cider-lioke carb use 3/4 tsp per 350 ml bottle. for corn sugar I don't know.
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Last edited by Freezeblade; 04-23-2009 at 02:24 AM.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:50 PM   #33
Dionysos911
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Has there been any conclusion on the best type of yeast for this recipe?

Old 05-10-2009, 08:11 AM   #34
Hallowed
Recipes 

I started a batch of this on 4/30, and added the starter to primary on the second or third (can't remember which) of May... After a couple days of lag, it's still fermenting strong. I got scared for a little bit because the starter was going like crazy but there was nothing for 36-48 hours after I pitched it. But I was patient and it picked up and hasn't slowed down. I used Lalvin EC-1118 Champagne yeast because I figured it could handle the alcohol. OG was 1.081 or so... can't wait to see how it turns out! I just got a kegging system and I'm planning on letting it ferment out, backsweetening, and then force carbonating as the first thing I put in my keg. Thanks for posting this recipe, because I've been kicking around the idea of a hard lemonade for a while but hadn't even considered concentrate....

Old 05-13-2009, 02:06 PM   #35
LooyvilleLarry
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well, I am wondering about repitching I did a starter as yooper suggested, starting at 1L and 3 steps up to 2.5L, using Lavlin 71B-1122 on a stir plate. I waited until there was a small layer of foam (after stopping the stir plate for an hour) before stepping up.

I pitched 72 hours ago, hit the must with some O2. It is maintained @ 70-72*. There is no activity in the airlock.

Only difference from the recipe is that is is 4 gal w/ 3# sugar (1.090) and I didn't have the yeast energizer( yes, I had the nutrient). My LHBS should have it today.

So, if I want to repitch, would I take make up a couple of quarts of the same (Minute Maid) lemonade and go from there?

Old 05-14-2009, 01:36 AM   #36
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrr81765 View Post
Well, I am wondering about repitching I did a starter as yooper suggested, starting at 1L and 3 steps up to 2.5L, using Lavlin 71B-1122 on a stir plate. I waited until there was a small layer of foam (after stopping the stir plate for an hour) before stepping up.

I pitched 72 hours ago, hit the must with some O2. It is maintained @ 70-72*. There is no activity in the airlock.

Only difference from the recipe is that is is 4 gal w/ 3# sugar (1.090) and I didn't have the yeast energizer( yes, I had the nutrient). My LHBS should have it today.

So, if I want to repitch, would I take make up a couple of quarts of the same (Minute Maid) lemonade and go from there?
Maybe there is no activity in the airlock, but I'd check the SG before making a new starter. Sometimes these ferments go along with no visible indication at all, except that one day it's fermented out. Check the SG today, and then check it again in two days. If it's still the same, then you may have to repitch. don't forget to keep stirring the must, because the aeration is really good for it at this point. Once it gets to about 1.020 or so, you can airlock and stop stirring.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:59 AM   #37
LooyvilleLarry
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks Yoop. I just checked it. 1.090, same as start date . I have some O2 and a .2 micro stone, so I might hit it and give it a couple more days.

I set a carboy of Pale Ale that is finishing up next to it - maybe it will get the idea

Old 05-16-2009, 07:13 AM   #38
Hallowed
Recipes 

Does anyone know if I would have a problem using regular lemonade (made per directions on concentrate can) to backsweeten after I stabilize? I tasted it when I moved to secondary the other night after hitting 1.020, and it tasted really good... except for an overwhelming alcoholic nose and flavour. Will this dissipate at all as fermentation continues? If not, I was thinking of diluting with lemonade to add sweetness and more lemon flavour to make it more palatable. I couldn't see any reason why I shouldn't use this method, but thought I would ask on here first... Thoughts, warnings?

Old 05-17-2009, 03:52 PM   #39
wpreston
Recipes 

What I don't get is why you only put a towel over the primary, and are you using a bucket or glass carboy for this part? Also is the yeast added 2 days later? Thanks

Old 05-17-2009, 08:08 PM   #40
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallowed View Post
Does anyone know if I would have a problem using regular lemonade (made per directions on concentrate can) to backsweeten after I stabilize? I tasted it when I moved to secondary the other night after hitting 1.020, and it tasted really good... except for an overwhelming alcoholic nose and flavour. Will this dissipate at all as fermentation continues? If not, I was thinking of diluting with lemonade to add sweetness and more lemon flavour to make it more palatable. I couldn't see any reason why I shouldn't use this method, but thought I would ask on here first... Thoughts, warnings?
It should be ok to sweeten with whatever you'd like after you stabilize it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpreston View Post
What I don't get is why you only put a towel over the primary, and are you using a bucket or glass carboy for this part? Also is the yeast added 2 days later? Thanks
I usually primary most wines and ciders in a bucket, so that I can stir frequently.

Lemonade is a bugger to start, that's why I explain about the yeast starter and adding the starter to the must later. The super high acidity is a hostile environment to yeast, so the bit yeast starter (mixing up the must and diluting it for the starter) is crucial.

MindYourHead Likes This 

Quick Reply