Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Hard Lemonade

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #381
The1Greenguru
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 43

hello been thinking of trying some hard lemonade. If you don't mind what does it end up tasting like can I get the best description. of the flavor Thanks for your time GG also do you have or know a good recipe for 5-6 gallon batch with the use of frozen concentrate juice or do i find a 1 gallon recipe and just add it up to 5-6 gallon batch thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2013, 05:07 AM   #382
mike_in_ak
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoloMT7
i followed the op's recipe except i used a Huge yeast cake from a 5 gallon batch us-05 and it was going crazy in one hour! Anyone used beer yeast and had good results ?
Any update on this? I was thinking about using an S-04 cake.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #383
overpunch
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

My keg is full of mead, and I've got 5 gallons of this hard lemonade that's now clear in my carboy on the yeast cake. Since I can't carb it in the keg, is it okay to leave it on the lees? Or should I rack it into a bucket and let it sit until the keg is avaliable?

Old 05-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #384
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by overpunch View Post
My keg is full of mead, and I've got 5 gallons of this hard lemonade that's now clear in my carboy on the yeast cake. Since I can't carb it in the keg, is it okay to leave it on the lees? Or should I rack it into a bucket and let it sit until the keg is avaliable?
How long will it sit there? I would be worried about it having too much headspace in a bucket. If you have a carboy, maybe you can put it in there?

I've left things o. Yeast for almost 2 months and haven't had any problems, but I would think it would be longer in your case since you have mead and that may not go too fast?

Old 05-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #385
overpunch
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well, it's sparkling mead...so maybe it'll go a little faster. But I'd be looking at ~3 months minimum to empty the keg. I could bottle once it gets down to 1/4th full.

I don't have another carboy. I was thinking of racking into the bucket and leaving it there or racking into the bucket, cleaning the carboy, and racking it back (but i'd be worried about infection/oxidation doing the latter option).

Old 05-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #386
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Well, it's sparkling mead...so maybe it'll go a little faster. But I'd be looking at ~3 months minimum to empty the keg. I could bottle once it gets down to 1/4th full.

I don't have another carboy. I was thinking of racking into the bucket and leaving it there or racking into the bucket, cleaning the carboy, and racking it back (but i'd be worried about infection/oxidation doing the latter option).
None of those are good options. Too long on the lees can cause some bad flavor, and a wide headspace will oxidize it. You don't have another keg or carboy? I'd make sure it's in a carboy, and topped up.

If not, I'd bottle it.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:57 PM   #387
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:

I've done the swap to bucket and then back to carboy before and had luck. The good thing about the lemonade is that it doesn't oxidize as easily, at least skeeter pee doesn't. This may be slightly different since it isn't as high in alcohol and acid, but I think it may be your best option.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:34 AM   #388
overpunch
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I went with the bucket-swap method. I sterilized my bucket and autosiphon, spritzed some co2 into the bucket with a couple of crushed campden tablets, and covered it with the hose in there from the autosiphon. Siphoned off the lemon-wine, and then I cleaned out the carboy. Spritzed some co2 into the carboy, and then siphoned the bucket into the carboy. Topped up with some R/O H2O out of a freshly opened gallon jug. Another spritz of co2 and I put the airlock back on. The alcohol content was pretty high; no sweetness detected.

My fingers are crossed.

I plan on adding sugar and doing a natural carb when I have a free keg.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #389
overpunch
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
I went with the bucket-swap method. I sterilized my bucket and autosiphon, spritzed some co2 into the bucket with a couple of crushed campden tablets, and covered it with the hose in there from the autosiphon. Siphoned off the lemon-wine, and then I cleaned out the carboy. Spritzed some co2 into the carboy, and then siphoned the bucket into the carboy. Topped up with some R/O H2O out of a freshly opened gallon jug. Another spritz of co2 and I put the airlock back on. The alcohol content was pretty high; no sweetness detected.

My fingers are crossed.

I plan on adding sugar and doing a natural carb when I have a free keg.
Update: I did the natural carb w/ sugar. It's now semi-sweet, sparkly, and clear. No off flavors.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #390
The1Greenguru
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1Greenguru View Post
hello been thinking of trying some hard lemonade. If you don't mind what does it end up tasting like can I get the best description. of the flavor Thanks for your time GG also do you have or know a good recipe for 5-6 gallon batch with the use of frozen concentrate juice or do i find a 1 gallon recipe and just add it up to 5-6 gallon batch thanks
But everyone I try tastes better then the one days before great recipe

Quick Reply