Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Hard Lemonade

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2012, 07:22 PM   #361
bigmac58
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Noob Question

Ok, I only have one brew behing me and I've never done a yeast starter. If you do the starter and slowly add the mixture to the starter to get it used to the acid, what keeps the original mixture from spoiling while working on the yeast? Is it because the acid level is so high in the must?

I'm thinking of doing a 2 gallon batch of this to try. I'd like to carbonate this in bottles but have a lot more reading to do on this, seems a little confusting right now.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2012, 09:21 AM   #362
lylo
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It is a little confusing alright.First off I suggest using pure apple juice and water to build the starter.I used a dry champagne yeast,hydrated with boiled and cooled water,then built it up with apple juice.Towards the end I started adding the lemonade to get the yeast used to the high acid content it was about to be baptized with.Yooper suggests a couple of crushed campden tablets like country wine makers use in their must to keep the lemonade clean while waiting for the yeast.
I am no expert at all on this,however I used to make a lot of country wine andthis was a similar process.I am sure you will here from more knowledgeable people tha me.Good luck.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:54 PM   #363
Theshorey
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

So first attempt has finally stopped (damn EC-1118 doesn't like to quit!) and the reviews have been pretty good. Overall opnion was needs 1 heaped tablespoon per 750 mL bottle to back sweeten, and almost no raspberry taste came thru... so next time a less potent yeast, and maybe rack onto fresh raspberries in the secondary...

CARPE DIEM CRAS EST IGNOTUM

PERIMUS LICITIS

Old 06-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #364
LoloMT7
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1241 Times on 662 Posts
Likes Given: 3235

Default op recipe

i followed the op's recipe except i used a Huge yeast cake from a 5 gallon batch us-05 and it was going crazy in one hour! Anyone used beer yeast and had good results ?

Old 07-10-2012, 01:25 AM   #365
Pandaren
Recipes 

Hey guys,

It's recently gotten really hot where I'm at (past 3 days 98+) and apparently won't be getting much lower than 91 for a while. I'm in an apartment with no a/c, so I've had to make due with temps as best I can, but it's not really cooling off much in the night either. Anyway, it's been going about 4 days now and has been fermenting between 74 and 85 for the majority of the time.

Are these high temps a big deal for something like lemonade? I used champagne yeast, not beer yeast, and added 2 lbs cane sugar and 1 lb ultra light dme.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #366
BrewerBear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 18

You will probably be ok, time will tell. You may need to let it sit a little longer to let any possible off flavors mellow out.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:48 PM   #367
LonestarHB
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Has any one used sweetened dry lemonade powder to prime for an added lemonade kick?

Old 09-09-2012, 08:52 PM   #368
alchemedes
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I know this is not same as the Skeeter Pee recipe, but I was just curious if it would be benificial to do late additions of lemon juice to avoide a "sulfer-dioxide" problem? I was sorta comparing the two recipes and the SP recipe says the following:

"Periodically check the gravity. When it gets down to around 1.050, add the other 3 tsp of nutrient the second tsp of energizer, and the last bottle of lemon juice; vigorously mix it in. Don’t be afraid to introduce some oxygen to the mix at the same time. This late addition of yeast food and oxygen helps reduce the likelihood of your batch developing a sulfur-dioxide problem."

So, would it be benifical to try and follow the same logic with this recipe. Has anyone had this problem? Has anyone had to degas this recipe?

"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

Old 09-16-2012, 03:39 AM   #369
alchemedes
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Bump. Anybody?

"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

Old 09-16-2012, 03:42 AM   #370
CA-LT1
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Never had a problem, but you do need to degas, unless you want to wait a long time

Quick Reply