Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Hard Lemonade

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2009, 02:06 AM   #21
avaserfi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Just pulled a sample after a couple weeks. OG 1.072 SG 0.994 - 10.19% ABV. Seems high, but both sets of my notes show the same OG. I sweetened the sample up and it has a slight burnt rubber taste otherwise it is pretty good. Will the taste go away as the yeast drops out of suspension more?

Andrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2009, 03:15 AM   #22
avaserfi
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Looks like the burnt rubber taste has been figured out thanks to HBT chat. I used Montrachet yeast which has a tendency to produce large amounts of H2S when stressed. The high acid environment probably caused the burnt rubber flavoring. I guess a new batch is in order using a different yeast.

Does anyone know if Red Star Pasteur Champagne Wine Yeast produces H2S when stressed like Montrachet? I think I might try another batch with that. Or do you have a recommended yeast Yooper?

VAWA Winemaking Techniques, Hydrogen Sulfide

Andrew

Last edited by avaserfi; 02-22-2009 at 03:21 AM.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:46 PM   #23
BallJar
Recipes 

Just as an FYI, I used a D47 and I did nothing special on the starter besides 30 minutes in warm water. It took about a week before bubbles showed up, and the fermentation over the last 4 weeks has been consistent but not over active.

I expect to bottle next week, with an update then.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:05 PM   #24
bmckee56
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I made a 3 gallon batch of hard lemonade last summer and used D-47. It took it's time to start and fermented dry to finish. I added 375ml of Lemoncello which we had made earlier in the year. This kicked up the ABV and the final product was bottled into PET bottles after it cleared some. We consumed it straight after chilling and also added some Sprite to add some carbonation to it. It is a wonderful beverage for summer time coolers and I will be making another 3 gallons soon.

If you want, you can use a keg and force carb it. Or add some corn sugar to it and then bottle, but I would be very careful you do not create bottle bombs.

Some variations to this would be to add Lime, Orange or maybe even Raspberry juices to your recipes.

Salute!

Edit: Mike's Hard Lemonade doesn't even come close to a good batch of this stuff.

On Tap #1 - East End Brew
On Tap #2 - Nada
On Tap #3 - Nuttin-Honey Ale
Fermenting - BMB's Cascading Citra Ale

Old 03-14-2009, 07:53 PM   #25
Blackhawkbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I'm thinking of making some of this soon. I was wondering what kind of suger you use? I also remember reading somewhere about using some DME also. Any suggestions?

Old 03-14-2009, 08:21 PM   #26
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4635 Times on 3366 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkbrew View Post
I'm thinking of making some of this soon. I was wondering what kind of suger you use? I also remember reading somewhere about using some DME also. Any suggestions?
I just use plain table sugar. I've heard that others use some DME for the "malt flavor" but I never have so I don't know anything about it.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:00 AM   #27
summersolstice
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

I use plain sugar in mine as well but I use limeade rather than lemonade concentrate.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:48 PM   #28
Blackhawkbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I made up a three-gallon batch of this yesterday. Well, I guess I'm still in the process of making it since I'm slowly adding the must to my starter. I used 2 lbs. sugar and 12 oz DME and came out with a SG of 1.091! My starter is going well. I used Yooper's method of starting with a diluted lemonade solution and added some of it a little at a time. When I got home this afternoon, the starter had a nice big head on it. I'm starting to add the full strength must now. I'll keep doing this several times for the next day or so then add the starter to the must.

I would like to carbonat this when I bottle. Does anyone have any idea how much primer to use?

Thanks for the recipe and process write-up Yooper! I'll keep posting with the progress.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:36 PM   #29
Blackhawkbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I just transferred my 3 gallon batch to secondary. Gravity was at 1.030, but the taste was not very good. I don't know if I used too much DME or what. I'm a bit disappointed. Live and learn, right.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:24 AM   #30
seanf76
Recipes 

anyone carb this in bottles? could i use priming sugar if so how much for each bottle will probably bottle in 750ml

Quick Reply