Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Hard Lemonade

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2008, 07:13 AM   #11
Steiner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I'm going to make a small 2 gallon batch of this. You said it tastes best in the 1.010-1.020 range. Is there any way to control stopping it at this point? I've heard (I think by you) that even with potassium sorbate, it's difficult to stop this fermentation. I'd also like to carb some, so that also presents problems with the sorbate. Should I just let it ferment out and backsweeten if necessary (with splenda I assume?)

Primary: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Secondary: Pumpkin Ale, Scottish Ale
Aging: Oaked Vanilla Bourbon Porter, Blueberry Mead, Orange Mead
Drinking:
Next:

Time heals...
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/blog.php?b=104
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost...&postcount=101

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2008, 12:38 PM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4343 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
I'm going to make a small 2 gallon batch of this. You said it tastes best in the 1.010-1.020 range. Is there any way to control stopping it at this point? I've heard (I think by you) that even with potassium sorbate, it's difficult to stop this fermentation. I'd also like to carb some, so that also presents problems with the sorbate. Should I just let it ferment out and backsweeten if necessary (with splenda I assume?)
I think it's hard to stop fermentation once it gets going. You might be able to stick it in the fridge, so that the yeast goes dormant, and then use the campden and sorbate. I don't know that will work, but it might.

I just let it finish up, and then stabilize. If you're planning on carbonating some, I guess splenda would be the way to go (and of course, no sorbate).

I didn't see the earlier post about the sugar, sorry about that! Please let me know if you still have questions.

Old 11-08-2008, 03:33 AM   #13
siveloz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
I think it's hard to stop fermentation once it gets going. You might be able to stick it in the fridge, so that the yeast goes dormant, and then use the campden and sorbate. I don't know that will work, but it might.

I just let it finish up, and then stabilize. If you're planning on carbonating some, I guess splenda would be the way to go (and of course, no sorbate).

I didn't see the earlier post about the sugar, sorry about that! Please let me know if you still have questions.
so about non-fermentable sugar... anything else i could use insted of splenda or is that my only option?

Old 11-14-2008, 07:49 PM   #14
stevefarns
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've never used it in anything besides beer but Lactose is a nonfermentable sweetener.

On draft: chinook blonde
On draft: vcca
Primary: Citra IPA
Aging: Westvleteren 12
Aging: JOAM
On Deck: Imperial Honey Porter
On Deck: Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale

Old 02-11-2009, 01:20 PM   #15
avaserfi
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

SWMBO asked me to make a small batch of this so I set out with a 1 gallon batch, but rushed it a little. I only had the starter going for 12hrs before pitching because it seemed to be doing so well and I was going to be too busy to deal with it after that. It has been 4 days now and no signs of fermentation plus a whole bunch of yeast is at sediment at the bottom. I used montrachet since I had it laying around. I know this is going to have a slow start, but I want to make sure I shouldn't make a new starter before it is too late or something...

Andrew

Old 02-12-2009, 01:51 AM   #16
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by avaserfi View Post
SWMBO asked me to make a small batch of this so I set out with a 1 gallon batch, but rushed it a little. I only had the starter going for 12hrs before pitching because it seemed to be doing so well and I was going to be too busy to deal with it after that. It has been 4 days now and no signs of fermentation plus a whole bunch of yeast is at sediment at the bottom. I used montrachet since I had it laying around. I know this is going to have a slow start, but I want to make sure I shouldn't make a new starter before it is too late or something...
I don't know. You could try swirling it up a little, to see if that helps. Maybe check the SG to determine if it's simply slow, or stuck. It might just be going so slow you don't see much going on. If you shake it up, do you see any bubbles coming up through it?

Old 02-12-2009, 02:02 AM   #17
avaserfi
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
I don't know. You could try swirling it up a little, to see if that helps. Maybe check the SG to determine if it's simply slow, or stuck. It might just be going so slow you don't see much going on. If you shake it up, do you see any bubbles coming up through it?
Checked gravity and there have been no changes, I gave it a swirl earlier, didn't notice any bubbles either. Hopefully some activity starts soon.

Andrew

Old 02-12-2009, 02:11 AM   #18
polecreek
Recipes 

Wondering how long this needs to age or if its drinkable right away.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:19 AM   #19
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by polecreek View Post
Wondering how long this needs to age or if its drinkable right away.
Drinkable right away. I hate to admit it, but I siphoned a few pitchers out of the carboy when it was around 1.020 and stuck them in the fridge. I ended up having to rack to a 3 gallon carboy to reduce the headspace!
The1Greenguru Likes This 
Old 02-12-2009, 02:24 AM   #20
polecreek
Recipes 

Sounds great yooper, I think I will wait until the weather gets above freezing to make this one.

Quick Reply