Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Hard Lemonade

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2010, 06:08 PM   #141
DmentD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooyvilleLarry View Post
Update on dual pitching. It just works. 24 hours after pitching 2x EC118 onto 2g of hard limeade I have active fermentation. I've not had a start like that ever with lemon/limeade.

I'll be updating my original post with modifications
*whistles and cheers*

Awesome! Another success story with a simpler yeast solution. Reliability and simplicity loom on the horizon. *grins*

Keep us updated on the speed of fermentation -- hopefully this'll be a lot faster than 4 - 6 weeks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2010, 01:35 AM   #142
George7845
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Update on dual pitching. It just works. 24 hours after pitching 2x EC118 onto 2g of hard limeade I have active fermentation. I've not had a start like that ever with lemon/limeade.

I'll be updating my original post with modifications

so you can make it simple by just duel pitching ec-1118? ive never done a starter before so it would be a good learning experience, but duel pitching seems easier. I think im going to make a one gallon batch of this to see if swmbo will like. If im just making a gallon batch, i wonder if one packet of one ec-1118 would be sufficient. Also anyone know of a frozen lemonade concentrate brand to look for on store shelfs ?

Quote-

Unless you're scoring with a diamond or a front-end-loader, you shouldn't damage your bottles at all.

DmentD

Old 06-08-2010, 01:42 AM   #143
TVarmy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Well, I have some bad news. That harsh taste was sulfur, and I think the Montrachet yeast just simply hated that acidic environment. I had to dump mine.

I will definitely try it again later, with a more tolerant yeast. I might also add some malt next time. Sounds like ec-1118 is the favorite. And the dual pitching sounds way more convenient.

Zorillo Brewery: Jinxing the hops since 2010.
Primary: Edwort's Robust Porter, Hard Lemonade
Secondary: Air
Bottled: Apfelwein, Wheat Stout, Edwort's Haus Pale Ale
Thinking about: more Citrus Hefeweizen, Strawberry Blonde, Apple Graff, Lambics

Old 06-08-2010, 01:45 AM   #144
LooyvilleLarry
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by George7845 View Post
so you can make it simple by just duel pitching ec-1118? ive never done a starter before so it would be a good learning experience, but duel pitching seems easier. I think im going to make a one gallon batch of this to see if swmbo will like. If im just making a gallon batch, i wonder if one packet of one ec-1118 would be sufficient. Also anyone know of a frozen lemonade concentrate brand to look for on store shelfs ?
I left the starter in there, but on this 2g batch I just double pitched after hydrating with cooled boiled water. I think you *might* be able to get away with it, but I also think that is a pretty big shock on the yeast.

I'd suggest 2 gallons. Really. I haven't come across a woman that hasn't enjoyed it, and most of the guys as well.

The brand I use is Minute Maid.

Secondary

Kegged
BeeCave Haus Ale - 6%
Bells Two Hearted, round 2- 6.1%
SNPA Clone (Chilled )
Hard Lemonade

Shiraz - 6 gal

Old 06-08-2010, 02:15 AM   #145
George7845
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ec-1118 has a good temp bracket right? think i could let it ferment at room temp, hell i could just do a 5 gallon batch if that is the case, im going on a 3 week trip soon down south, so i can moniter temperature, but when i have the ac on full blast it keeps room temp at steady 65-70, but ac on whole time while im gone seems kinda crazy.

Quote-

Unless you're scoring with a diamond or a front-end-loader, you shouldn't damage your bottles at all.

DmentD

Old 06-08-2010, 12:39 PM   #146
LooyvilleLarry
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Yeah, as a matter of fact, I think it likes a little warmer temp. I ferment in a corny in a room that averages 73-75, and it bubbles away.

My last one, it took a while to start because the temps were in the 60's. Once it gets going though, it works like a freight train.

Secondary

Kegged
BeeCave Haus Ale - 6%
SNPA Clone (Chilled )
Hard Lemonade

Shiraz - 6 gal

Old 06-08-2010, 03:20 PM   #147
DmentD
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
I left the starter in there, but on this 2g batch I just double pitched after hydrating with cooled boiled water. I think you *might* be able to get away with it, but I also think that is a pretty big shock on the yeast.

I'd suggest 2 gallons. Really. I haven't come across a woman that hasn't enjoyed it, and most of the guys as well.

The brand I use is Minute Maid.
I agree, rehydrating the yeast is a good idea, and it only takes about 15 minutes... according to the EC-1118 packet, you use 2 OZ of ~100°F water (previously boiled) per packet of yeast.

Each packet is normally suitable for a 5 GAL batch, and since we're double pitching here you'd use 2. If you're going to do a 1 GAL batch, use half a packet, and that'll be the equivalent of pitching 2½ times the yeast... a tiny bit more than a double pitch, but easier to estimate the yeast used.

+1 on the Minute Maid Premium Lemonade concentrate. Down in my neck of the woods, it's about $0.89 a can. I can make a 5 GAL batch of hard lemonade -- concentrate, sugar, yeast and nutrient included -- for less than $18.

As a note, I found that 32 GR of Splenda (the "cup for cup" variety -- not the "blended with sugar" type) per GAL of hard lemonade provides a sufficient sweetness to a must that ferments down to ~0.994 -- just enough tartness to be enjoyable without an overbearing sweetener taste. Be sure to dissolve it into some boiled water and allow it to cool before adding it at bottling time.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:30 PM   #148
NeonBrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonBrew View Post
Well, I've yet another hard lemonade on the go. Up till now I've had great success, but this latest batch seems to be stuck at 1.020 after a month and a few days in the secondary. Any advice as to what I maybe should do? Istill can actually see a few bubbles coming up, so there are still some yeast active anyway.
Well...two weeks later this batch has only gone down to 1.018. It tastes pretty good. Any harm in bottling it?

Old 06-15-2010, 04:38 PM   #149
peanasky
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonBrew View Post
Well...two weeks later this batch has only gone down to 1.018. It tastes pretty good. Any harm in bottling it?
I suppose it depends on if you want to carb it, or leave it still. If you're leaving it still, from what I understand, you knock out the yeast with potassium sorbate and campden, let sit for a few days, then bottle. If carbing, it sounds like you need to wait until completely fermented out to avoid bottle bombs.

Now on to my question. I whipped up a 5 gallon batch of this and duel pitched EC-1118. Got a great start to the fermentation and am now at a point where I want to "bottle" it. I want it still, like, juice still. Right now there is a fair amount of CO2 suspended in it. I plan on nuking it with pot sorbate and campden, and then degassing it. Is this the right order? Do I need to transfer to another container before/after nuking/degassing?

Old 06-19-2010, 01:37 AM   #150
LooyvilleLarry
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Ok, some Hard Limeade is in the fermenter. I went the super easy route on this one. This is for a 2g batch.

Threw 4 cans of limeade in, added 4 1/2 c sugar, couple of tsp of yeast nutrient and yeast energizer, and a couple of crushed campden tablets. OG 1.080

I'm going to let this sit for 24 hrs then pitch 2x EC118 that I've rehydrated.
Ok, this is *DONE*. It actually finished a couple of days ago, but I've not been able to check it.

FG: .984 (I have to double check this, seems real low) leaving about 12% abv.. wow. I'll try it on Sunday. Tomorrow, I *have* to go to a local Top of THe hops beer fest. Only 275 beers to sample

Secondary

Kegged
BeeCave Haus Ale - 6%
SNPA Clone (Chilled )
Hard Lemonade

Shiraz - 6 gal

Quick Reply