Ok, here is what I did, modified to 5 gal from yooperbrews 3 gal. Mine is named August Bent Truth Serum
10 cans of lemonade (Minute Maid Premium )
3# + 8oz cane sugar
4 tsp Yeast Nutrient
4 tsp yeast energizer
4 campden tablets
-- D47 ( or other wine/champagne yeast) --
EDIT: 2 x EC118 works very well
Must for starter
1 gal cold water
3# table sugar dissolved in 1 gal water
This should give you very close to a 1.080 start.
1. Remove about 2 qt
for the starter. Make sure the temp is in range for the yeast.
2. Start with 3 cups starter, add a pinch of yeast nutrient + yeast energizer and the yeast.
3. Aerate (I hit it with O2 on a stirplate). Then let sit with the top loosely covered .
4. Once you have a good fermenting layer (white foam on top) add about 200ml (~1cup) of the must from step 1.
5. Repeat until you have a 1.5L or more starter that is bubbling away
Adding to Remainder
1. Add the remaining cans of thawed lemonade to the original must
2. Dissolve 8oz of sugar in a quart of water and add to the must
3. Top up to just under 5 gal (leave room for the starter)
4. This should come in around 1.080.Adjust as desired, within a range of 1.060 to 1.090 ( <1.100)
5. Add 4 tsp of Yeast Energizer
6. Add 4 tsp of Yeast Nutrient
7. Add 4 crushed campden tablets
8. Add starter
1. I hit the must with O2 before adding starter.
2. Cover vessel with clean cloth, stir every day.
3. Should take about 1 week, or when it reaches 1.030
4. Transfer to secondary & airlock
5. If your want to stop it at 1.020 or so, add potassium sorbate to end the fermentation.
Finishing (MY preference)
1. Add sugar to bring it to about 1.025 (2 1/3# on one batch).
2. Add one can of concentrate
3. Juice from 4 fresh lemons.
Perfecto (according to SWMBO)
Bottle in 2 liters, carb some, flavor some, backsweeten as necessary.
This stuff has a bit of a hidden wallup, and tends to pool around your knees
A 1.080 start, ending at 1.020 yields a 7.9% beverage that goes down like Country Time lemonade on a hot summer day
EDIT: After some experimentation, I found that pitching 2 packets of EC118 works incredibly well.