Hard Iced Tea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bignick

Reaction score
This is a recipe I came up with after trying a hard lemonade recipe that I found. It is a very simple recipe, and very delicious too.

This is a 1 gallon recipe, it is very easy to scale up.
-1 Gallon of Arizona Southern Style Real Brewed Sweet Tea
-2 cups of corn sugar
-2 lemons
-1 packet of Redstar Champagne Yeast

Arizona Sweet Tea has No Preservatives.
Make sure there are no preservatives because fermentation will not start with preservatives.

-sanitize a one gallon pitcher which will be used to mix the ingredients before we put it into the carboy.

-zest a lemon to get 2 teaspoons of zest.
Be careful not to get any of the white rind because it will cause off flavors to occur.

-squeeze the 2 lemons into the pitcher.(the seeds will float at the end so you can easily remove them)

-pour the Tea into the pitcher.

-add the two cups of corn sugar and stir very well.
(add more or less corn sugar depending on your target ABV, 2 cups will bring it pretty high.)

-remove the seeds, they should float to the top, but if not it will be fine to leave them in there.

-add the 2 teaspoons of zest.

-pitch the yeast into the pitcher.

-pour the pitcher into the carboy.

-put in the stopper and airlock.

-fill the airlock with cheap vodka.

This will take a few weeks to completely ferment.

I allowed mine to age in the carboy for about 6 weeks.

Then I added wine conditioner, which is just a fermentation stopper and sweetener in one.

It turned out great, my girlfriend and her friends love this stuff.(maybe that 3 way will happen ;)..... j/k)

If you want to carbonate then just add some corn sugar, mix well, and bottle.

Hope yours turns out as well as mine.

it definitely has a wine taste to it considering the yeast that i used. i am experimenting with different yeasts to see what works best in keeping the iced tea taste and feel. I did keep some of this unsweetened and I backsweetened with iced tea, tastes pretty good.

any chance you know the gravity readings on this? i had the same though although i think im gonna use beer yeast to keep a bit sweeter finish.

it definitely has a wine taste to it considering the yeast that i used. i am experimenting with different yeasts to see what works best in keeping the iced tea taste and feel. I did keep some of this unsweetened and I backsweetened with iced tea, tastes pretty good.

Did you ever try any other batches with a different yeast?

I made a gallon of hard ice tea.

What I did is boiled a gallon of water.. soaked 12 Lipton black tea bags.

Added a cup of sugar and let it go

I wish I would have found this thread a week ago. I boiled a gallon of water added i6 tea bags and 24oz of corn sugar then pitched champagne yeast and its happily bubbling away. I wonder how long this will take and if it will be any good. The OG was 1.064. I'll let you know where it stops and if its any good.

There is another thread about this somewhere.. but you will definitely need to back-sweeten it.

The Hard Ice Tea I did tastes like carbonated black tea with alcohol in it..

Hi,
I am going to be making a 1 gallon batch of Hard Tea using bignick's recipe and have a quick question or two or three or lots...
I have everything ready to start and would like to get to it sometime this weekend.

When fermentation is complete(2 weeks,give or take)will I need to rack it into a secondary to get it off the lees or can I just leave it in the primary for the extra 6 weeks without a problem?

I also want to back sweeten this batch(for those that hate the taste of Alcohol)so you can imagine it may need to be extra sweet.
Could I get away with just pouring say a 23 ounce can of the same tea into the bottling bucket at bottling time and get away with it or will I need to also add sugar syrup to it as well?(say 2 cups sugar boiled in 1 cup? of water?). Then both added at bottling time?
And last but not least will there be a need to kill off the yeast when doing this?
I will be bottling in beer bottles and capping so maybe a little carbonation wont be bad?
Anyone ever had sparkling Hard Tea...is it better then still?

I haven't decided what yeast I want to use yet. I have Windsor by Danstar,Nottingham by Danstar,Lavlin EC-1118 and Montrachet to choose from. I was thinking maybe the Nottingham? I would like a bit higher ABV but that isn't necessarily a requirement.

I'm only 2 meads and a batch of Apfelwein into all this(and they aren't even done yet)so I'm still trying to grasp a lot of this.

Any help is greatly Appreciated
Thank You

I made a batch of this, although I kind of like it the way it is, I will need to back sweeten for all to enjoy. I am in the process of making some hard lemonade as well, I love my Arnold Palmer's, so I will be able to enjoy some Hard Arnie's next summer, or late fall. Thanks for the recipe, it is great.

I haven't had the chance to try the Arizona recipe yet, but I have been looking for something similar to Twisted Tea and have come up with something close. I tweaked a recipe I found to this:

Hard Iced Tea
6 Gallon Batch

96 tea bags (1 box)
13 cups sugar +/- (to SG 1.060)
1 packet Cote de Blanc yeast (tried with Champagne yeast also, not as good!)
6 tsp yeast nutrient
2 cans frozen lemonade concentrate
6 campden tablets
3 tsp potassium sorbate

Boil some water, add tea bags, cover and seep for at least 1 hour. Squeeze tea bags and discard. Add cooled water to primary fermenter. Add sugar (around 11 cups – 5lbs) to bring to SG 1.060, about 7 to 8 percent ABV. Add water to 6 gal. Start yeast and pitch. Add 3 tsp yeast nutrient.

When done fermenting (1-3 weeks depending on temps), rack off lees, add 2 cans frozen lemonade and taste test. Backsweeten with around 2 cups sugar in warmed tea if neccesary. Add 6 campden tablets and 3 tsp sorbate to a cup or 2 of tea and thoroughly dissolve by stirring to prevent refermenting. Add back into tea.

If tea taste is weak when finished, siphon some tea from carboy, heat up, Seep more tea bags and return to carboy. I don't bother clearing. Wait a couple days to make sure it isn't going to start up again and bottle.

I did have one batch made with champagne yeast carbonate on me. Wasn't bad, I just didn't care for the champagne taste to it.

I'm new to this whole thing and trying to learn as much as I can. Your recipe has caught my interest and I would like to try it but in a smaller batch. I've looked everywhere here for how to "resize" a recipe and can't seem to find an answer. Say I wanted to make a 3 gallon batch do I just 1/2 everything but the yeast?

Thank-you!

i did that with apfelwein went from 5 to 3 gallon basically taking 2/5ths out of the recipe except for yeast and only difference i found was a bit faster fermentation( dunno for sure i suspect havin more yeast per gallon from start was cause)

I tried the recipe posted here from twistederanch - followed it exactly as it was only my second time making something so I'm not up for adventure yet! I didn't sweeten it but I did add the frozen lemonade concentrate at the end. It ended up carbonating on me! Not anything dangerous - it gushes for a little while when opened but once that is done I'm still left with 3/4 of the bottle... It tastes good - not quite sweet enough but I'm assuming that is because of the yeasties eating the sugar after bottling?

I've got a 5gallon batch going right now but I got a tad carried away on the sugar so my SG was 1.72 - yikes! My first batch I mix with a peach ice tea while I drink it and I really like that - I'm trying to figure out how I could mix that up right when I bottle it. Any suggestions? I just use nestea peach ice tea drink mix made up per the bottle and then mix it with the ice tea....

Holy thread resurrection batman!

I'm running out to Walgreens right now to pick up enough Arizona teas for a 5 gallon batch of bignicks recipe. Probably use 3lbs of dextrose and about a pound of honey like what I do with my Apfelwein.

Just gave this a try, 1 gallon recipe

12 tea bags brought to boil and then steeped for 20 minutes,

removed bags and discarded

Add 2 1/3 cups of sucrose, 1tsp yeast nutrient S.G. 1.051

Ice bath and then added to gallon Jug, topped off with water

pitched 11g Nottingham yeast, capped and shook to mix.

Add Airlock filled with vodka.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

after fermentation stops will rack off yeast, add 1 can thawed lemon juice and back sweeten to my liking. Will update as the progress is made

if lacks tea flavor, I may rack into secondary on top of a few tea bags. or filter through a few bags

I did leave some headspace as I am not sure if the Nottingham will have a lot of krausen, but 15 minutes and airlock activity already!

bignick said:
Then I added wine conditioner, which is just a fermentation stopper and sweetener in one.

It turned out great, my girlfriend and her friends love this stuff.(maybe that 3 way will happen ;)..... j/k)

If you want to carbonate then just add some corn sugar, mix well, and bottle.

Hope yours turns out as well as mine.

Since you added conditioner wouldn't that make it impossible to carbonate in bottles?

We saw Arizona iced tea gallon jugs on sale this weekend, and picked up a couple to try this.

We got the "Green Tea with Ginsing & Honey" flavor. I'm thinking of trying one with a little lemon (or maybe plain?), and the other with a bunch of ginger added in.

For the ginger one, I'd be looking at it more like using the iced tea as a base for a ginger wine.. any thoughts?

I love the idea, and though I do occasionally drink Arizona teas still, I am opposed to using it for a brew. When it comes to my daily multiple cup consumption of tea, I go with quality loose leaf, loose leaf all the way!

Now if you wondering what a great resource for loose leaf tea is, it would be www.adagio.com. They usually have great deals, fast shipping, and quite a range of types/flavors to qualities.

So that being said, I plan to do a hard tea of a similar fashion, but I'm looking at using a more unique flavor of tea, once I get around to making it I'll post my recipe and tea flavor.

About a month or so ago i started a one gallon batch of this recipe. The store that i bought the tea from didn't have the southern style sweet tea in stock. So i used two half gallon bottles of Snapple iced tea which has sugar as the sweetener.

The ferment started to slow down pretty good so when I went to check the gravity I sampled some. Hot damn it was good.

I soon realized that this one gallon i had was not going to last very long, so i headed back to the store to pick up more ingredients, this time for a six gallon batch. Again the store didn't have the southern style in stock. So i bought the Arizona iced tea with lemon flavour. Once i got it home and started the process i realized the main sweetener was high fructose corn syrup. Im pretty sure that the southern style has the same thing.

I am still new to this so i did some research and a lot of people on this forum seem to think that hfcs does not ferment well, time wise and taste wise.

Has anyone had any ill effects in thier brew with using this?

12 tea bags,
2 blackcurrant tea bags
about a spoon full of "perfect steak" :p
and a clove.
about 600ish sugar

o.g. 1.070 for one gallon

It smelled lovely, of black current and spice (this is all what perfect stake is)
Fermenting now.

Actually what I did was use 3 gallons Arizona Sweet tea and 2 lbs. liquid corn sugar from LHBS and S05 yeast. Fermented for 2 weeks and added yeast killer and back sweetend with 1 can frozen lemonade concentrate. Turned out very well and drinkable although a bit bitter from lemon juice. Next time I would try using 1 can of frozen lemonade concenetrate to sweeten a 5 gal batch and I think it would be perfect. Goes down very smooth SG was a 1.065 I believe and it finished around a 1.01. I do not have info with me currently so I cannot remember exactly what the numbers were.

After the initial 2 week ferment, once finished I added some potasium metabisulfate to kill any yeast and cold crashed in fridge for a day. I bottled and within a week or 2 in the bottle it was pretty good as I stated in previous post I would go with 5 gal of tea and add corn sugar to raise starting gravity a little higher. I see others saying they would prefer to use a higher grade tea but I am making this for the "girls" and they just like the sweet drink and nothing fancy.

What was your start/finish gravity?what alcahol were you aiming for?i think if this tastes like ice tea I need to make a gallon ASAP hahah

I did the original posted recipe yesterday. Instead of using Arizona tea I used sweet leaf. It says organic and that no preservatives are added. I haven't had any yeast activity yet, but hopefully soon.

Quick question. Has anyone ever tried tried dry hopping their hard tea??

SWMBO likes twisted tea. I tried making it with light DME and split 5 different gallon batches. I used green tea, black tea and instant ice tea crystals. I also did a tea reduction for both green tea and black tea before adding. Nothing turned out right. I have not tried in some time but found this thread and might try a gallon test batch. I have found through resurch that twisted is made by making a base beer unhopped the pumping through charcoal filters until you have a clear " zima" if you will. Then they flavor and sweeten. The fitter process eliminates the yeast and the add preservatives at packaging. After learning all this I hadn't thought of doing it again until this thread made me rethink the recipe.

I'm headed to the store but I'm buying Swiss Premium Ice Tea Lemon aid Cooler to use as my base and I'm jumping right in to a 5 gallon batch. Sounds like one gallon is a waste of time.

Ok this is what I did.....5 gals of sugar sweetened Swiss Premium Lemon tea cooler, One can of frozen lemon aid. 4 lbs of cane sugar, yeast and yeast nutrient. Wine yeast. It started fermenting slow but today its cooking along. SG was 1,080 to start.

I haven't seen this anywhere else online, but I tried this today since it is snowing outside. I have been making Kombucha for a while now, and I wanted to make it into a hard tea. Here's what I did for a 1 gal batch:

1 gal for my homemade Kombucha (aged about 7-10 days)- I think, can't remember exactly when I started this batch, I use a continuous brew system, so it's hard to tell.

3.5 oz. grated ginger- grated with a microplane

I boiled the Kombucha and ginger (well, simmered) for 15 min to kill any wild yeast, bacteria or other nasties in it. I would like some feedback as to whether this was necessary. I just didn't want to F- with the alcohol fermentation.

After boiling, I added 2 cups dark brown sugar & let cool in the primary until suitable for pitching yeast. While cooling, I put yeast (Nottingham) in 1/2 cu. warm water with 1/2 tsp. of yeast nutrient in a seperate container to "bloom."

Once cool, I added in the yeast mixture to the kombucha, ginger, sugar "wort."

I loaned my hydrometer to my dad, so I didn't get the OG, but based on other recipes for different stuff, this should come out somwhere in the 7% ABV range. (Comments/Feedback)

Stirred to combine/further hydrate/airate. Put lid on & airlock.

Here's the plan...

Will let it ferment 14 days, then I'll check it. If no activity, will rack to a carboy. I'm going to try it, and if not sweet enough, will want to add some sweetner to the secondary (reccommendations, tips please, this is my first time doing anything like this)

I'm thinking 30 days in the secondary, with airlock.

Then bottle with priming sugar. If cloudy, I will clear with gelatin. How long should I let it sit in the bottle? I'm thinking 2 weeks min.

Like I said, this is my first time doing anything like this, so please comment on anything and everything. This forum has been an invaluable help to me. Note: I have (am) celiac, so I am looking for a unique beer replacement, and I love Kombucha, so I thought this would be a cool experiment. What do you think?

After reading this thread, I was inspired to try something similar, but I may have went over board.

1/2 gallon water and added DME, boiled for 15 min
Added 1/2 Gal of Arizona Sweet Tea tot he primary and poured the wort onto it
Pitched Nottingham yeast that I had washed the other day

Planning on adding the other half of the Arizona Sweet Tea after a few weeks to back sweeten. Then I will let that sit in the secondary for two weeks or so. We will see what happens. It didn't taste too bad so far, kind of like a malty sweet tea.

I've been eyeing this for a while now. I finally got it brewing last weekend, it's only a 2.5 gallon batch. I'm using a mr beer keg.

I used
32 Lipton tea bags
4 cups sugar
I packet lalvin k1-v1116 yeast

I'm now sitting here waiting impatiently for it. I haven't desided yet whether to carb it or not.

When I started this brew I wasn't able to get a starting gravity. I finally got a hydrometer and the reading is .998. Should I let it go a little longer? I tasted it and theres not much tea taste. When I back sweeten it I'm going to top it off with more tea. What's the best sweetener to use to back sweeten the tea?

Back