Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Extra Hard Lemonade

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2013, 07:12 PM   #351
The1Greenguru
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazedowl View Post

psst... it's right here

I do believe, subd = subscribed
Uduman thanks for putting the link up

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2013, 12:02 AM   #352
Starrider
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Got to try mine finally this past weekend. This stuff can be dangerous. Goes down like kool aide bust at12.5%, it'll sneak up on you.
I think I will have to try this with just some grape or other juice with less acid / citrus so it would be easier on those with the sensitive stomachs. With less citric acid, could probably jack up the ABV a little more too.

Lagering: Yuengling clone
Conditioning: Red's Riding Ale
Serving: Red's Riding Ale
Hard Lemonade,
Hefeweizen

Old 06-22-2013, 08:02 PM   #353
Rockindaddy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Do the same sanitation rules apply as with beer? Also, do you have to ferment it in a dark place like beer as well?

"He who laughs last..........thinks slowest!"

Old 06-23-2013, 04:27 AM   #354
brazedowl
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockindaddy View Post
Do the same sanitation rules apply as with beer? Also, do you have to ferment it in a dark place like beer as well?
Hardliners are going to say yes... but I'll to out on a limb and say not just no, but hell no. Not for wine.

When I finish a batch, I rinse out the carboy and turn it over and let it dry. When I'm ready to brew again, I inspect for visual signs of un-cleanlyness. If there's none, I brew. If there is. I get a brush out and clean with a bit of dish soap.

I just pull spoons, cups, tools right out of the drawer in the kitchen, and use them with no special sanitation, beyond being in the dishwasher sometime in the past.

I have been known to pour SG samples right back in, and let it ferment in the with no special consideration for light beyond closing the blinds in that room.

The only batches I've had go wrong was the dark chocolate cherry (it was just a bad idea), and pineapple wines (tasted like razorblades).

We scrubbed down EVERYTHING and used sanitizer and whatnot for our first attempt at beer and all three of our batches soured and went off to Nastyland. (I suspect that someone looked at it wrong, it felt insulted, and decided to spite us with bacteria)

Take it for what it is, cleaner is better and I'm not making show-wines... but don't beat yourself up over it
In Progress: Ginger Spiced Cider
Bottled: oodles and oodles

"What senses do we lack that we cannot see or hear another world all around us?"

Old 06-23-2013, 06:12 PM   #355
The1Greenguru
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrider View Post
Got to try mine finally this past weekend. This stuff can be dangerous. Goes down like kool aide bust at12.5%, it'll sneak up on you.
I think I will have to try this with just some grape or other juice with less acid / citrus so it would be easier on those with the sensitive stomachs. With less citric acid, could probably jack up the ABV a little more too.
The stuff I made was a creaper also bam

Old 06-23-2013, 06:36 PM   #356
Rockindaddy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazedowl View Post
Hardliners are going to say yes... but I'll to out on a limb and say not just no, but hell no. Not for wine.

When I finish a batch, I rinse out the carboy and turn it over and let it dry. When I'm ready to brew again, I inspect for visual signs of un-cleanlyness. If there's none, I brew. If there is. I get a brush out and clean with a bit of dish soap.

I just pull spoons, cups, tools right out of the drawer in the kitchen, and use them with no special sanitation, beyond being in the dishwasher sometime in the past.

I have been known to pour SG samples right back in, and let it ferment in the with no special consideration for light beyond closing the blinds in that room.

The only batches I've had go wrong was the dark chocolate cherry (it was just a bad idea), and pineapple wines (tasted like razorblades).

We scrubbed down EVERYTHING and used sanitizer and whatnot for our first attempt at beer and all three of our batches soured and went off to Nastyland. (I suspect that someone looked at it wrong, it felt insulted, and decided to spite us with bacteria)

Take it for what it is, cleaner is better and I'm not making show-wines... but don't beat yourself up over it
OK....cool! I went ahead and made a batch, but I substituted one pound of sugar with one pound of light DME. Got a very active fermentation in about 24 hours and it is going strong. Looking forward to it!

Old 06-24-2013, 02:34 AM   #357
aschupner
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well mine has been bottled for about 2 weeks now. Still as sweet as when it was bottled. It just totally stalled out and couldn't get it to go any further after 3 months of fermenting. Almost syrupy, but if you pour it over ice and let the ice melt a bit it is pretty good. Scarry good really. I had 3 of them and I had a bit of a buzz goin. These can creep up on ya really quick. Mine finished up around 12% abv, which is kind of a high alcohol content, but still REALLY sweet. Almost wish I would of diluted a bit with water when I bottled. Hopefully the ladies enjoy these things once we start havin our summer get togethers. All the guys I have had test it didn't care for it cause too sweet. Maybe I'll have to try mixin em with beer to go for that summer shandy taste.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:07 PM   #358
Rockindaddy

Recipes 

Where should the FG on this wind up? I started with 1.110 which was made on 6/22/13 and today (7/20/13) it is at 1.041. Shouldn't it go a little lower? That makes it about 9% ABV right now.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:41 AM   #359
Rockindaddy

Recipes 

OK, so I took another gravity reading today and it's still at 1.041. I gently stirred it last week to see if I could get the yeast going again, but they seemed to have petered out. I am nervous about bottling with a gravity this high as I had bottle bombs recently on another batch of beer. Can anyone share with me what their FG was on this recipe? Thanks.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:52 AM   #360
The1Greenguru
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockindaddy View Post
Where should the FG on this wind up? I started with 1.110 which was made on 6/22/13 and today (7/20/13) it is at 1.041. Shouldn't it go a little lower? That makes it about 9% ABV right now.
I may be wrong on this when I have in the past tested the same gravity on two different dates I bottled not sure of the recipe you used I can tell you I am shooting for just before on my pink lemonade batch hoping to get a little fizzy ness on the batch, last one I bottled was in beer bottles and I dropped a gel cap carbonation gelcap in them and it resulted in a sweeter taste and no fizzy do to no yeast to eat the gel cap. Which because the yeast was played out it just was back sweetened 13% instead of little carbonation hope it helps you . Da man and great friend and his recipe extra hard lemonade (brazedowl). Has helped me to see the weak point in my madness. No limit when you do the Brew

Quick Reply