Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Extra Hard Lemonade

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2011, 05:26 PM   #21
SpacemanSpiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts

Just started a batch of this today scaled down for about 2 gallons. So 2 cans lemonade, 2 cans limeade, Montrechet, and water to top it up.

Did you have to stop this early or do you know what your FG ended up at? I'm a little concerned. My OG is 1.118 and I'm afraid I'm going to have rocket fuel on my hands.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2011, 05:55 PM   #22
brazedowl
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I had forgotten to take the SG on that but I'm sure it was over 1.200 and I don't get rocket fuel. The acidity helps knock out the yeast before that point I think.

In Progress: Ginger Spiced Cider
Bottled: oodles and oodles

"What senses do we lack that we cannot see or hear another world all around us?"

Old 02-05-2011, 08:35 PM   #23
SpacemanSpiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

So far it's not looking good. I haven't been seeing any bubbles really, but on the top of the fermenter there are some bubbles and a mat of white that I was hoping was some form of krausen and a sign of something going on in there. Took a gravity today and it's at 1.120. So it essentially hasn't budged and looks like my yeast didn't make it.

Considering a couple options right now. With such a high gravity and acidity I'm not sure repitching is the best idea. I was considering diluting the batch down and then trying a repitch. If it works I'd end up with more final product which is good and if it fails, I'm only out water and yeast.

Just not sure. I didn't use any energizer or yeast nutrient so I'm guessing they just couldn't get going on their own.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:48 PM   #24
brazedowl
Recipes 

I just started a batch of Cranberry-Lemonade. I've found that dry yeast takes a long time to take hold and multiply in the acidic enviornment. I use the yeast slurry from the bottom of another batch of something to start my lemonade batches. I ended up using a little more then 2 cups of yeast-cake-slurry to start off this batch.

"What senses do we lack that we cannot see or hear another world all around us?"

Old 02-10-2011, 11:03 PM   #25
HappyWino
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
Considering a couple options right now. With such a high gravity and acidity I'm not sure repitching is the best idea. I was considering diluting the batch down and then trying a repitch. If it works I'd end up with more final product which is good and if it fails, I'm only out water and yeast.
Everything I have read about Montrachet suggests that it isn't the best choice for a "hostile" must, it appears to be prone to H2S issues when even moderately stressed so when greatly stressed by a high gravity, high acid must, it might just keel over at the get go.

Based on my limited experience and a lot of reading other "Lemonade" threads, I would suggest repitching with one packet (given you only have two gallons of must) of EC1118, ideally rehydrated with something like Go-Ferm. If you can't get your hands on the Go-Ferm there still seems to be plenty of people having success just dry pitching the EC1118.

Cheers

HW

Old 02-12-2011, 12:52 AM   #26
SpacemanSpiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep it in mind for next time. I ended up diluting down with 2 more gallons of lemonade-limeade mix. That dropped the OG to 1.088. Then I repitched with another packet of Montrachet I had. It seems to be ramping up, just really slowly. There's been a decent "krausen" all week and it's seems to be bubbling up more each day. Still not very much airlock activity though.

So I think the new batch is still kicking. The brew room had that funky Montrachet smell for the first time today. I think you're right though. Montrachet might not be the best choice for this. Certainly not without a starter or something else to help get it kicked off strong.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:12 PM   #27
budman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just one quick question. How do you keep from drinking it all before it gets done? This **** is the bomb lol

Old 02-16-2011, 07:50 PM   #28
cricky101
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
Just started a batch of this today scaled down for about 2 gallons. So 2 cans lemonade, 2 cans limeade, Montrechet, and water to top it up.

Did you have to stop this early or do you know what your FG ended up at? I'm a little concerned. My OG is 1.118 and I'm afraid I'm going to have rocket fuel on my hands.
How much sugar did you add for the 2 gallon batch? I'm really wanting to try to make a small batch of this too for my girlfriend. She digs Mike's Hard Lemonade. Think I may try the other yeast strain though.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:38 AM   #29
scotched
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I used this recipe with EC-1118 and had no problem getting fermentation going. The hard part is getting it to stop.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:15 PM   #30
brazedowl
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
Just one quick question. How do you keep from drinking it all before it gets done? This **** is the bomb lol
hahaha I know right? I'm glad you enjoy.

Quick Reply